Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thoughts[emoji22]

Hello Everyone!

So I'm really excited about having my surgery! Already saw the surgeon, met with the psychologist! Up to now I was set on having the sleeve, until I began to speak to more people about having the bypass! Everyone that I know that has gotten the bypass has kept the weight off and is doing AMAZING! The people I know who have the sleeve have gained back about 40-50lbs! I'm indecisive! I don't know what to do! I'm kind of in limbo right now as to what surgery to get!

Give me some insight please! Has anyone else gone through this?

Thanks,

Jess

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Both surgeries have similar success rates. They are both only tools and success will depend on whether you change your lifestyle and eating habits. Talk to your surgeon about both and see what they recommend.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I think they are both great surgeries. Of the people I know who have had bypass or sleeve, there are successes in both groups but more of the bypass people have been successful long term. Of course, this is hardly scientific, just the people I know.

And you definitely have to be committed to working hard and making good choices for the rest of your life -- with either surgery.

I think it's important to go with the option you and your surgeon agree makes the most medical sense, and not be swayed by things like "having my intestines re-routed makes me feel ooky" or "I just don't like the idea of removing part of a perfectly functioning organ" -- I understand feeling both of those ways, but IMO it's best to make a medical decision based on medical factors rather than emotions. Good luck!

@@jtellechea001

I was tossing this back and forth when I started this journey as well. I had a conversation with my surgeon about it, and he broke it down in a way that made sense for me. Basically, there is "scientific data" that says that people who get Bypass lose about 5-10% more of their excess body weight than those who get the sleeve. BUT - in his words, "how successful you are with this, no matter which surgery I perform, is solely up to you". In a nutshell, neither surgery is magic, and unfortunately the surgery alone is not going to get us to a healthy weight and it's not going to make us keep it off either. If you put in the work and change your ways and address the bad eating habits, you will be successful no matter which surgery you choose.

With that said, I think that you should do your research, talk to your surgeon about your lifestyle and your weight loss goals. I have no comorbidities, and aside from my weight I am healthy. My surgeon recommended the sleeve for me, and input/recommendation had a lot to do with my decision.

Best of luck!!!

When I had decided on surgery, I was fairly set on the sleeve. But as I thought more about why I was actually going through this (for the best "tool" to carry me through a lifetime of better health), and after having met one-on-one with the dietician before surgery, I ultimately decided for me RNY bypass was the best way to go. Plus for many, MANY years I had dealt with GERD, and supposedly the bypass is a better option in the hopes of helping with that (which I feel it definately has helped). I'm now 10 weeks after having my bypass, and while it is definately an adjustment, I'm not at all regretting my decision. Good luck, it really has to be a personal decision, but focus on what you really want to get from it and you'll come to what works best for you!

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App