Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I am about 4 months into my 6 month supervised diet for vsg. I have only lost 6 pounds and need to lose a total of 15. I am eating low carb, drinking Water and getting in exercise here and there. Any advice? My nutritionist gave me a lay out of what I should be eating and I know I can follow it. Just nervous I won't lose the weight in time! Any advice would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you aren't, use a food journal, such as myfitnesspal, to make sure you are in a caloric deficit every day. Weigh or measure your portions carefully -- no guesstimating. If you exercise, do not count calories burned or eat back your exercise calories. Good luck!

Losing only 1 pound per month is extremely slow. Have you had your thyroid checked? How many carbs are you eating? You may need to log your food and make sure that you are not eating more than 1500 calories a day. It's rough sometimes, but it gets easier the longer you do it. Try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, if it's nothing but walking. Cardio is amazing for weight loss. Keep us updated and feel free to add anything. We want to help and we want you to succeed! <3

Thank you everyone for the great advice! My six pound lose was in one month and then I have stalled. With everyone's advice I went back and evaluated my food log! Out of control Protein amounts!!! My carbs were low but too much Protein and calories are too high. Readjusted my fitness pal and I'm going to make this goal!

Thank you everyone for the great advice! My six pound lose was in one month and then I have stalled. With everyone's advice I went back and evaluated my food log! Out of control Protein amounts!!! My carbs were low but too much Protein and calories are too high. Readjusted my fitness pal and I'm going to make this goal!

There's no such thing as too much protein. Protein never turns into fat. And the protein that isn't used in the body, is excreted.

Edited by Hiraeth

There's no such thing as too much protein. Protein never turns into fat. And the protein that isn't used in the body, is excreted.

There's too much protein if it also means you have too many calories or even too much fat. It can also cause Constipation and you need to drink even more Water than usual.

There's too much protein if it also means you have too many calories or even too much fat. It can also cause Constipation and you need to drink even more Water than usual.

I know that, if it's cutting into your calories. But some people are worried about getting too much protein and thinking it's making them fat. My nutrition class told me that you do not have to drink Water as long as you're getting in enough liquid; as long as it's not high in sugar and carbs/calories. Though, water is the preferred liquid, but some people cannot drink straight water after their WLS because it makes them sick. I do not drink plain water, and I'm losing rapidly. However, I do know that if you are drinking a ton of protein, and it's more protein than water in the mix, then yes, it can cause constipation because it can dehydrate you. Interesting stuff, I think.

Hello everyone! I am about 4 months into my 6 month supervised diet for vsg. I have only lost 6 pounds and need to lose a total of 15. I am eating low carb, drinking Water and getting in exercise here and there. Any advice? My nutritionist gave me a lay out of what I should be eating and I know I can follow it. Just nervous I won't lose the weight in time! Any advice would be great!

One thing that may help, in addition to avoiding starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup) and fried foods, is to wean yourself off of carbonation and caffeine and drink LOTS of Water (64 oz at the very least).

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. None of us lose at a constant or steady rate. Our bodies are complex systems, not simple machines. If you intend to lose a significant amount of weight, you will experience stalls. Just follow your program.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

My nutrition class told me that you do not have to drink Water as long as you're getting in enough liquid; as long as it's not high in sugar and carbs/calories. Though, Water is the preferred liquid, but some people cannot drink straight water after their WLS because it makes them sick. I do not drink plain water, and I'm losing rapidly. However, I do know that if you are drinking a ton of Protein, and it's more Protein than water in the mix, then yes, it can cause Constipation because it can dehydrate you. Interesting stuff, I think.

When I said "water" - I mean non-caloric drinks (which the base is usually water). A high protein diet can cause constipation and requires even more non-caloric liquids than usual. The OP is pre-op - so there's definitely a possibility of eating too much protein being a cause for not losing weight (because it can also mean you are also eating too many calories).

Edited by KristenLe

My nutrition class told me that you do not have to drink Water as long as you're getting in enough liquid; as long as it's not high in sugar and carbs/calories. Though, Water is the preferred liquid, but some people cannot drink straight water after their WLS because it makes them sick. I do not drink plain water, and I'm losing rapidly. However, I do know that if you are drinking a ton of Protein, and it's more Protein than water in the mix, then yes, it can cause Constipation because it can dehydrate you. Interesting stuff, I think.

When I said "water" - I mean non-caloric drinks (which the base is usually water). A high protein diet can cause constipation and requires even more non-caloric liquids than usual. The OP is pre-op - so there's definitely a possibility of eating too much protein being a cause for not losing weight (because it can also mean you are also eating too many calories).

I agree. So many people think that you have to drink plain water in order to lose weight, which is false. The reason is because, like you said, the base is usually water. That topic always irks me because, one day, a 400+ pound old co-worker of mine kept asking me if I was drinking water. I said, "Yeah, look...", and held up my water bottle. She said, "What's in it?" I told her it was Crystal Light. And she had the nerve to say, "It's not the same." I'm like, are you kidding me? You're 400+ pounds and you drink 1 liter of Coke a day... <_<

I agree. So many people think that you have to drink plain water in order to lose weight, which is false. The reason is because, like you said, the base is usually water. That topic always irks me because, one day, a 400+ pound old co-worker of mine kept asking me if I was drinking water. I said, "Yeah, look...", and held up my water bottle. She said, "What's in it?" I told her it was Crystal Light. And she had the nerve to say, "It's not the same." I'm like, are you kidding me? You're 400+ pounds and you drink 1 liter of Coke a day... <_<
Lmaooooooo ????

Thank you everyone for the great advice! My six pound lose was in one month and then I have stalled. With everyone's advice I went back and evaluated my food log! Out of control protein amounts!!! My carbs were low but too much protein and calories are too high. Readjusted my fitness pal and I'm going to make this goal!

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Sorry....still getting used to posting here! That drives me nuts. My husband always gets on me for using mio in my water. He says I am confusing my body by putting too many chemicals in it. He is in really good shape and only drinks plain water. I told him I will worry about all that after I get to an ideal weight but one step at a time. However; your co-worker sounds like the type of people I have to deal with. I love hearing...oh you are trying to lose weight eat low fat. Well most low fat=high carbs.

Edited by Lifebydesign

Sorry....still getting used to posting here! That drives me nuts. My husband always gets on me for using mio in my water. He says I am confusing my body by putting too many chemicals in it. He is in really good shape and only drinks plain water. I told him I will worry about all that after I get to an ideal weight but one step at a time. However; your co-worker sounds like the type of people I have to deal with. I love hearing...oh you are trying to lose weight eat low fat. Well most low fat=high carbs.

Right?! LOL! Mio is perfectly fine. You are not confusing your body. My gosh, does your husband eat all natural things? Doesn't he use toothpaste? I'm sure he's putting chemicals into his body, as well. He needs to be supporting you, not bickering at you. Mio is designed to be placed in water so it can taste better. If it were so bad, no one would ever use it. I lost 30 pounds in under 2 months from drinking Mio and Crystal Light. I gained it all back because I went back to sweet tea.

Good thinking! Worry about all of that after you get to a healthier weight. You have to take one step at a time, because jumping into things quickly can make you miserable. And being miserable makes you fail. You do you! Ignore the haters! <3