Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Eating Fruit Like Eating Candy?

One nutritionist likens eating fruit to consuming Halloween candy. Bariatric Dietitian Elizabeth Anderson weighs in.

Is Eating Fruit Like Eating Candy?

In my opinion as a bariatric dietitian, no.

Is fruit nature’s candy?

Well, I don’t know about you, but I haven’t yet confused blueberries with blue jellybeans.

Many of my post-op WLS clients are nonetheless extremely nervous to incorporate fruit back into their diets.

Some have even been told ‘fruit is dirty’ by their providers.

Most feel they ought to avoid fruit-- like mosquitoes in Florida.

Now I think I know where this is coming from. Many folks with the best intentions believe the sweetness of fruit can prime the appetite-pump for MORE sweets—the high fructose kind.

If you feel fruit might lead you to return to sweets with wild abandon then you are better off skipping it.

But for those of you post op gastric sleeve and bypass clients, fully healed from surgery, and hankering for a small piece of watermelon to beat the heat or a tiny bowl of pineapple while vacationing in Hawaii, I say, enjoy.

When I became a dietitian I took a solemn vow that I would always encourage well-balanced nutrition. To me, that means recommending to my WLS clients: lean Proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

I understand and encourage my clients to limit carbohydrates. I follow the bariatric plate guidelines and suggest 2 tablespoons of starch at lunch and dinner or, about 10 % of these meals.

It’s late summer. This is your opportunity to enjoy the starchy vegetables of the season like sweet potato, fresh summer corn or green peas.

And the delicious fruits of summer like Maine blueberries, Georgia peaches and succulent summer melon—in WLS portions.

Fruits and vegetables, especially the deeply colored varieties like beets, raspberries, kiwi and tomatoes, are packed with disease-fighting antioxidants and nutrients that are so vital to good health.

Plus, the loads of Vitamins and minerals in fruits and vegetables are much better absorbed by our bodies than the version we get in supplements.< /p>

I know many pre-surgery eating habits need to change after surgery. I sincerely hope that doesn’t mean you have to avoid some of nature’s tastiest treats of the season.

thanks for this article! this is the approach my bariatric team uses too.

and as a person who had the surgery to combat diabetes I have to admit, fruit scared me. I had given up most fruit as a diabetic because I could not control my blood sugar if I had anything beyond berries. I almost cry now when I "indulge" in a piece of fruit and my blood sugar remains normal. (a few apple slices and reduced fat string cheese is my morning snack right at this moment!) at 6 months my A1c is 5.4. it almost feels like a miracle to me.

I was told, a few ago, "Fruit is just sugar" by a well-meaning but uninformed person. I avoided adding fruit to my intake because of this seemingly logical reason. Unfortunately, lasagna was not a good substitute.

Fruit is far more complex as I now know and enjoy some often.

My mom's program didn't allow fruit because of the acid. My program allows it and get me through cravings

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for this article. I needed to read this. I have been enjoying my WLS portions of watermelon, strawberries, grapes, blueberries and kiwi. I've been making smoothies paired with greek yogurt, Kale or Baby spinach and although I've not had any stalls in my weight loss yet, I often wonder would I do better without it? Listening to so many others in the community with their take on what we should and should not eat I have to cipher through the nonsense and do what makes sense. I will continue to enjoy my faithful 3-4 servings of fruit daily. Thank you again!!!

It's as simple as this:

If it grows from the ground, a bush or a tree, it's good for you.

Nobody got fat from eating too much fruit. We got fat from eating too much processed crap.

I eat blue berries, black berries, apples and melons.

I add grated apple to my yoghurt, and have berries and melons for dessert.

They take care of me needing something sweet after dinner. No more ice-cream and frozen yoghurt for me, as this created cravings for more sweets.

Berries and melons satisfy the sweet urge, and I don't get cravings for more later :)

@@Elizabeth Anderson RD

Great post! Thank you.

Switching some of my veggies for a serving or two of fruit a day is the only way I can get enough calories to maintain my weight loss. One of my NUTS suggested Wheat Thins or crackers to up my calories but I prefer whole natural foods to processed carbs. And while the crackers are a trigger food, my blueberries satisfy me without creating any cravings.

@Elizabeth Anderson RD,

Thanks for being the voice of reason on this issue! It kills me when WLS patients avoid all fruit, no holds barred, because they look only at its sugar content. I realize that some gastric bypass patients especially might get dumping syndrome with too much of certain kinds of fruit, but most WLS patients can safely eat fruit and benefit from it.

Fruit is like any other food. It needs to be eaten in moderation, and as part of a healthy meal plan. For those who are more prone to blood sugar spikes, it’s probably better eaten with some Protein. And it’s never healthy to eat unlimited amounts of anything!

Fruit has so many health benefits that there’s no way it’s “like eating candy!” It’s packed with Fiber and other nutrients, including, as you mentioned, various antioxidants. Research links it to lower risk for heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers, not to mention…lower body weight! That’s not quite the case with candy!

Thanks for the article!

I thank my NUT every time I see her for insisting on a balanced diet that includes Protein, whole grains, vegetables and fruit.< /p>

I would be lost without my fruit and veggies and often wonder why some programs simply avoid fruit altogether. Just my opinion but that does not seem healthy to me.

I say this has I am eating a nectarine.....YUM!

I eat 3 frozen grapes every night instead of ice cream. I feel indulged and have still lost 45 pounds since surgery on June 7.

I never met a fat fruitarian! I think it depends on what else you eat along with fruit in a day. Too much Protein turns to carbs as well. We need the Fiber and the liquid in our gut. Many autoimmune patients with Hypothyroidism especially need to keep things moving.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using the BariatricPal App