Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bored with Breakfast! Any dieticians out there?

I am in week nine post surgery and really sick of eating eggs, yogurt, and Protein Shakes. I still enjoy the fruit. I am craving carbs for the first time and broke down and bought the low carb Protein Bars on this website. Feeling very guilty about it. My dietician said to avoid rice, Pasta, bread, potatoes, and starchy foods altogether for the next six months when my weight loss will most significant. Is this one person's opinion? Can I eat a Protein Bar or oatmeal occassionally if it's in moderation?

If your dietitian says to avoid starchy foods, then avoid starchy foods. Your dietitian isn't just "one person" that you should decide to disregard, your dietitian is a crucial member of the team you should be trusting to lead you to weight loss and health. Why would you throw away your dietitian's advice in order to follow the advice of random internet strangers?

Also, IMO being "bored" with food shouldn't be much of a consideration right now. You should be eating for health and weight loss, not entertainment. It is okay to not be entertained by your food. If you need to switch it up, are there high-protein, low carb options you can look at, like tuna or salmon salad, chicken breast with green veggies, turkey sausage or bacon? Cottage cheese? Ricotta bake? It might help to go away from traditional "breakfast" type foods if you want more options.

Good luck!

I'm neither RD nor pro chef, but I won't let that stop me now.

Oatmeal fine, but not by the bucketful. I add a few raisins, splenda, cinnamon. Or a few raisins and a few drops of Torani sugar-free gingergbread Syrup. Or whatever flavor, with or without raisins.

Smoked salmon or other smoked fish. I do eat Wasa and Ryvita crispbread and will spread on a tad of tofuffi and smoked fish.

Leftover fresh salmon or any other Protein. Shrimp, crawfish.

What do you do with eggs? I'll make an omelet with spinach and lowfat feta seasoned with a dash of oregano (preferably Greek for the Mediterranean flavor), maybe some chopped Tomato. I use olive oil for the pan. Remember that eggs are a universal go-with. (I saute the spinach and tomato a bit before pouring in the egg.)

A simple version of shakshuka -- which is simple anyway -- if you've got leftover, flavorful (i.e., spicy as you may like) chunky tomato-veg sauce as well as a little time. Shakshuka is a great dinner or weekend brunch, too.

Another variation: saute finely chopped onion, pour in the beaten egg and cook with some smoked salmon.

Anything that will give you a good dose of Protein. It doesn't have to be what Americans generally think of as "breakfast" food.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Bufflehead, are you a dietician? You seem awfully judgmental regarding my post. I was inquiring on the safety of Protein bars being sold on this legitimate Bariatric website AND I asked if there were any dieticians in my headline if you had noticed. I TRUST my surgeon, the dietician, and the PA who is mostly who I see. I don't trust strangers but I am kind and considerate to them. You apparently didn't fully read my post because you are suggesting that I eat salmon and tuna for Breakfast and made the assumption that I eat for entertainment. I don't eat for entertainment, I eat to survive. What in the world is wrong with wanting to do something new with a Breakfast that is ho-hum and repetitive?

Thank goodness for google. I had no idea what Shakshuka was. lol

I'm in South Louisiana...I might try the Shakshuka (Cajun Style!). I've been eating omlettes!

I'm the shakshuka queen - I make it on the grill when I'm at the beach. It is seriously the most delicious dish in my opinion.

Girl I've not eaten eggs since surgery.. somehow I feel they will nauseate me. They just don't sit well with me mentally. I like eggs well enough but if that's all I relied on for breakfast I'd be out of luck.

I will eat whatever I like for breakfast. If its a baked chicken wing or collard greens and turkey... so be it. Does it help to meet my goals? Do I like it? Can I tolerate it? Short answer-- it doesn't necessarily have to be breakfast to eat it. Eat what you like.

I rarely ever eat anything remotely breakfast like for breakfast. I don't really like breakfast food and most of it doesn't have enough Protein. I usually have steak for my first meal of the day. Or a fish fillet. Just because it is breakfast doesn't mean you have to have breakfast. You can have grilled chicken strips.

Bufflehead, are you a dietician? You seem awfully judgmental regarding my post. I was inquiring on the safety of Protein bars being sold on this legitimate Bariatric website AND I asked if there were any dieticians in my headline if you had noticed. I TRUST my surgeon, the dietician, and the PA who is mostly who I see. I don't trust strangers but I am kind and considerate to them. You apparently didn't fully read my post because you are suggesting that I eat salmon and tuna for Breakfast and made the assumption that I eat for entertainment. I don't eat for entertainment, I eat to survive. What in the world is wrong with wanting to do something new with a breakfast that is ho-hum and repetitive?

Can you please explain what is wrong with Bufflehead's suggestion that you eat salmon and tuna for BREAKFAST??? Is there some rule somewhere I missing that says salmon and tuna are inappropriate BREAKFAST foods?? Please point it out, because I apparently have been breaking the rule for the last 2 plus years since my surgery. I eat tuna melts without the bread, ground turkey with cheese and pesto, smoked salmon, leftover steak, etc . . . yes for BREAKFAST. I agree with Bufflehead, there's a wide variety of food that is not ho-hum or repetitive as long as you're open to the suggestions.

This place is becoming ridiculous. . .

I am in week nine post surgery and really sick of eating eggs, yogurt, and Protein shakes. I still enjoy the fruit. I am craving carbs for the first time and broke down and bought the low carb Protein Bars on this website. Feeling very guilty about it. My dietician said to avoid rice, Pasta, bread, potatoes, and starchy foods altogether for the next six months when my weight loss will most significant. Is this one person's opinion? Can I eat a Protein Bar or oatmeal occassionally if it's in moderation?

I'm not a dietician.

I like oatmeal. I get the weight control instant (it has a bit more protein) and then add Protein to it. Lately, I have been adding a packet of the WonderSlim dark chocolate pudding (because I have it) and some PB2.

Also, you don't have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. Sometimes I just have leftovers.

:D This right here is classic. New person on the board asks a question. Seems as though she's not real happy with her dietician's advice:

I am in week nine post surgery and really sick of eating eggs, yogurt, and Protein shakes. I still enjoy the fruit. I am craving carbs for the first time and broke down and bought the low carb Protein Bars on this website. Feeling very guilty about it. My dietician said to avoid rice, Pasta, bread, potatoes, and starchy foods altogether for the next six months when my weight loss will most significant. Is this one person's opinion? Can I eat a Protein Bar or oatmeal occassionally if it's in moderation?

Successful vet comes in, gives good advice INCLUDING the suggestion of heeding dietician's advice for best results and wishes her well.:

If your dietitian says to avoid starchy foods, then avoid starchy foods. Your dietitian isn't just "one person" that you should decide to disregard, your dietitian is a crucial member of the team you should be trusting to lead you to weight loss and health. Why would you throw away your dietitian's advice in order to follow the advice of random internet strangers?

Also, IMO being "bored" with food shouldn't be much of a consideration right now. You should be eating for health and weight loss, not entertainment. It is okay to not be entertained by your food. If you need to switch it up, are there high-protein, low carb options you can look at, like tuna or salmon salad, chicken breast with green veggies, turkey sausage or bacon? Cottage cheese? Ricotta bake? It might help to go away from traditional "breakfast" type foods if you want more options.

Good luck!

New member shows obvious irritation at said vet, calls her judgemental, says she only wants to hear from a dietician, just not HER dietician. She then claims to be non trusting of strangers (yet she is asking a board of strangers) and also states she is kind and considerate to them anyways (when clearly her definition of kind and considerate is questionable).

Kids, you can't make this stuff up! :D:):D

Bufflehead, are you a dietician? You seem awfully judgmental regarding my post. I was inquiring on the safety of Protein bars being sold on this legitimate Bariatric website AND I asked if there were any dieticians in my headline if you had noticed. I TRUST my surgeon, the dietician, and the PA who is mostly who I see. I don't trust strangers but I am kind and considerate to them. You apparently didn't fully read my post because you are suggesting that I eat salmon and tuna for BREAKFAST and made the assumption that I eat for entertainment. I don't eat for entertainment, I eat to survive. What in the world is wrong with wanting to do something new with a breakfast that is ho-hum and repetitive?

Stacyrg2,

I will gladly explain my response to Bufflehead. You think I am being ridiculous? She was rude to me... She didn't really give much thought to responding to my post that clearly asked the question... If there were any dieticians out there? She made accusations that I was eating to be entertained AND that I trusted strangers more than my dietician. I don't have a problem with eating something other than a traditional breakfast but because there are three meals and Protein requirements in each of them, I need some variety. By the way, I don't like tuna or salmon. I really just want a dietician to tell me that oatmeal and Protein bars sold on this website might be an option for someone at my stage, post surgery. I guess I'll email my dietician and hear from her in a few days. Unfortunately, I live Baton Rouge, LA where flood waters surround us. I can't even leave my house and thought that interacting with others would be helpful. Apparently not... My mother always said if you don't have something nice to say...say nothing at all! Maybe the best response would have been to ignore her and you for that matter. But? Not feeling it today. Too many other things weighing on my heart and mind.

I had just discovered shakshuka, aka eggs in purgatory, pre-op. I love it. It's eggs gently poached in a tomato-based sauce. Most recipes call for you to leave the eggs in the simmering sauce for just a few minutes to leave runny yolks, but I left them longer to fully set the yolks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App