Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very emotional

I distinctly remember having myself a good cry-fest a few times in the weeks after surgery. You feel like crap, you can't eat anything good, and you still feel overweight- it's a good recipe for being emotional.

If it helps at all, I was not the most happy person before I had surgery, and there were days when I was at home that I would cry for no really good reason, just that I was really unhappy. I'm almost 3-years post-op, and other than a meltdown about a week ago on a work project that would not cooperate at around 2am, I don't remember the last time I cried because I was sad. Being thin may not make you happy, but it certainly did good things for me. :)

You just need to get through the bad part and then everything else makes it all worth it.

Yes! I was sleeved August 3, 2016 and I am the exact same way! I'm still having trapped gas and everything just seems to make me gag and wretch. When does this go away???

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sleeved 8/6/16

Tear up at nothing...very emotional. So sick of Protein shakes already...feel like I can throw up just thinking about the next one...anyone else?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

As your body burns fat - it's releasing large amounts of hormones - wreaking havoc on your emotions. Stay strong - you'll get past this!

Try something different for Protein (Isopure, Atkins Lift Water). Add unflavored Protein powder to Power Ade Zero or a non caloric drink. You don't need to drink sweet Protein Shakes .

Hi Stacy!

I had the sleeve gastrectomy on August 9th 2016 (this past Tuesday). Today is the first day I have begin having full liquids like yogurt (only 2 tablespoons at a time) and I also am not fond of the Protein shakes already. I'm looking forward to having Greek Yogurt, eggs, etc. in the future to take care of my Protein intake. But until then, I remind myself that my stomach is healing, and I need to take care of it the best ways I can! And that means being a good, cooperative patient and doing what the professionals tell me. Emotionally, I have had a lot of ups and down. One minute I'm questioning if this surgery was the right decision, and the next minute I'm excited to see the number change on the scale. I'm a recovering binge eater, and I used to use food to feed my emotions all the time. So, now post-op, I'm experiencing all kinds of emotions and I can't go back to my old habits the way I want to. I know its going to take a long time to re-train my brain in terms of emotions and food. Right now I'm trying to focus on fueling my body so it can heal as fast and well as possible. I made this decision and went through with the surgery. There's no turning back. So no matter what emotions you may be feeling, that will not change the fact that you gotta do what you gotta do now for yourself and your tummy. I look forward to the day when I will be able to experience some enjoyment with food, but at the same time, I don't want my life to revolve around food the way it used to be. I gotta keep telling myself that there is NO way that a life of binge eating and obesity could possibly be better than a life of health and self-care.

I think what you are feeling is NORMAL and expected, so try and find some comfort in that. I truly believe that each day will get better, and we are still in the early stages of post-op, so this is definitely expected to be the hardest time of all. If we can get through this, we can get through anything this surgery throws at us down the line. Thank you for posting your comment because it gave me a reason to express my own thoughts and experience so far for the first time on this app. I think this is a great tool and I'm happy to have it.

I hope you find some peace today.

~S

Sleeved 8/6/16

Tear up at nothing...very emotional. So sick of Protein shakes already...feel like I can throw up just thinking about the next one...anyone else?

As your body burns fat - it's releasing large amounts of hormones - wreaking havoc on your emotions. Stay strong - you'll get past this!

Try something different for Protein (Isopure, Atkins Lift Water). Add unflavored Protein Powder to Power Ade Zero or a non caloric drink. You don't need to drink sweet Protein Shakes .

Thank you so much...I will look into those other options...have not tried those!

Hi Stacy!

I had the sleeve gastrectomy on August 9th 2016 (this past Tuesday). Today is the first day I have begin having full liquids like yogurt (only 2 tablespoons at a time) and I also am not fond of the Protein shakes already. I'm looking forward to having Greek Yogurt, eggs, etc. in the future to take care of my Protein intake. But until then, I remind myself that my stomach is healing, and I need to take care of it the best ways I can! And that means being a good, cooperative patient and doing what the professionals tell me. Emotionally, I have had a lot of ups and down. One minute I'm questioning if this surgery was the right decision, and the next minute I'm excited to see the number change on the scale. I'm a recovering binge eater, and I used to use food to feed my emotions all the time. So, now post-op, I'm experiencing all kinds of emotions and I can't go back to my old habits the way I want to. I know its going to take a long time to re-train my brain in terms of emotions and food. Right now I'm trying to focus on fueling my body so it can heal as fast and well as possible. I made this decision and went through with the surgery. There's no turning back. So no matter what emotions you may be feeling, that will not change the fact that you gotta do what you gotta do now for yourself and your tummy. I look forward to the day when I will be able to experience some enjoyment with food, but at the same time, I don't want my life to revolve around food the way it used to be. I gotta keep telling myself that there is NO way that a life of binge eating and obesity could possibly be better than a life of health and self-care.

I think what you are feeling is NORMAL and expected, so try and find some comfort in that. I truly believe that each day will get better, and we are still in the early stages of post-op, so this is definitely expected to be the hardest time of all. If we can get through this, we can get through anything this surgery throws at us down the line. Thank you for posting your comment because it gave me a reason to express my own thoughts and experience so far for the first time on this app. I think this is a great tool and I'm happy to have it.

I hope you find some peace today.

~S

Thank you so much for your encouraging words...doing everything I should be doing...just feel sick to my (small) stomach....going to try a few things others suggested...much success to you...keep in touch

Sleeve on 8/11/16

I have never been more miserable. I wish every day that I never had this done. I have had many issues, been back to out patient 3 times for IV fluids bc I can't get or keep anything down. Had several test that came back "normal".

In unable to function well. Over emotional, extremely short on patience. Only one week until school starts for kids, I have nothing ready for them, I am primarily in bed or couch with nausea or pain from trying to get anything down..

I also return to school in two weeks and have an exam to take upon returning... I can't even study for it...

This procedure has caused complete havoc on my life which I did not anticipate.

I wouldn't of done this and jeopardized my schooling or caring for my children had I know how extreme post op was going to be...

I'm so very angry and mad at myself for going thorough with this... Worse decisions I ever made...: I'm so mad that I don't even care about the weight loss....

I'm an emotional wreck literally wasting away...

This was so not worth it...

I don't know how to forge on, I can't get much down, just about 4oz of Water a day...6oz on a good day...

I feel like I am literally wasting, and that my dr just isn't concerned. I should have been hospitalize days ago, instead he said, I'll see you in another week...

How long is the suffering going to be???? I can't take much more of it....

Please help.... Any suggestions or ideas????

Michelleey I am soooo sorry you feel this way. I have experienced the same exact emotions as you have. My procedure has changed so much in my life, and I did not anticipate it whatsoever. I have a young child who just went back to school and I can barely get up to get him there on time, and I go back to school myself on Monday. Not sure how that's gonna go. But I most certainly am trying to stay positive as my boyfriend sits next to me eating effing PIZZA! I've really had to make fluids a priority for me. Making sure to take a sip everytime I move, think, talk, all the time. It's a real conscious effort to get fluids down. Surprisingly I am doing it tho. I was able to take a walk around my neighborhood today to which helped with my anxiety a bit. You chose to do this for a reason. Remember that. Remember why you felt WLS was right for you. YOU CAN DO THIS GIRL!

@@michelleey Between the hormones, dehydration and lack of Protein - you have the trifecta of being miserable. Concentrate on fluids right now. Try different temps to see if you tolerate one over the other. Take small sips throughout the day. Water, broth, crystal light, Powerade Zero, Vitamin Water Zero, sugar free popsicles, protein water...

Hopefully they've given you anti-nausea meds - if they're not working - ask for something else. I recently discovered my multi vitamin was making me extremely nauseous. If you don't feel better soon - demand for further testing to see what's wrong. Prayers.

Thank you so much for writing..

I didn't realize I was have the trifecta affect.... I didn't even know hormones were going to go crazy! Holy crap!!!! Never want to experience that again!!

I am finally starting to feel better, turned the corner so to speak yesterday.... It was the first day I got all my fluids in and then some.

I still don't have my Protein in but I am slowly working on that... That is the goal for this week....

I pray things continue to get better from here!!

Thank you for this post. I am one more weigh in away from having my surgery scheduled and I have been so nervous and stressed about my choice to do this and this post really helped me. Thank you so much everyone for your words they help more then you know!

I'm glad it helped, I am doing much better, basically back to normal daily activities.... I feel great.

The best advise I can give you is make sure you have support, especially if you have kids, I didn't have anyone with me when I got home to help with anything and that was my biggest mistake...

I'm single mom, so it was just me... It made everything much more difficult..

Really try to stay hydrated! It makes you feel 100x worse...

I had to get IV fluids 3 times, but that was bc I couldn't get anything down....

From what I understand my case is a worse case scenario and not so common, but be prepared just in case.

Best of luck to you!!!