Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changes after hair loss

I lost a lot of hair :( My hair has always been thinner and fine textured. I am not losing as much now but I am making sure I get my Protein as a matter of fact I eat mostly meat eggs or Beans that's it.... They said it starts coming out at about 7 ish months in or so... and mine didn't start until then really sucks cos I didn't have all that much to begin with... I hope it stops soon... and Can thicken back up as well...

@@CLN.BK

About 2/3 of my hair fell out during the rapid weight loss period. I had slightly wavy hair before, it could be straightened easily.

Now, my hair is so curly, even my stylist is shocked at how it grew back. My granddaughter has hair like this and my family often wondered where it came from. I had super Curley hair as a baby and toddler but my mom used some chemical to straighten it when I was 3. All my hair fell out and when it grew back in my curls were gone.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have a very thick head of hair again. That being said it is a pain in my ass to take care of. I have to use a ton of product in it just to keep it from getting frizzy, I cannot wash it all the time or it becomes dry and frizzy, and I cannot just get up in the morning, brush my hair and get going. I have to plan a good 30 minutes to wet it and put some product on it that will make the curls be calm.

I have been growing it out because the length then pulls and calms the curls a bit but my hair went from straight to very curly, kinky.

Straightening it takes forever and I have an expensive flat Iron that works great.

I also would like to add that I got all of my Protein, Vitamins and Water from the very early stages. I took Biotin daily. Both my surgeon and dermotologist told me some people are more prone to lose their hair no matter what they do during massive weight loss. Some are just luckier.

Signed....

Happy I have lots of hair, but learning how to deal with it at 53!

Can't you get it permenantly straightened?? I have a 5 year old cousin who has lots and lots of hair. It was too curly and difficult to manage at her age so her mother had it professionally straightened and now it's thick but straight.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Lema

@@Lema

I don't think I am ready to do that you. Honestly someone wanted me to have my curly hair back and although it is a pain, I am trying to work with it to figure out how to style so it looks nice.

I am taking lessons from my gorgeous granddaughter. She is 12 and quite the diva. She told me to buy mixed chick and after a shower to put it in and leave it. It allows the curls to remain curly and cuts the frizz.

This is my granddaughter. She is gorgeous blue eyes and very curly hair. Much of the time she straightens it but lately she has gone back to leaving it curly.

post-237953-0-93713700-1471140310_thumb.jpeg

@@KristenLe

Thank you! I am headed to Minnesota to see her tomorrow and it has been too long! I used to see her a few times a week and I have not seen her since before summer.

Wow! You look too young to have a grand daughter her age. We always want what we don't have. I have super straight hair and I have always wanted wavy hair. It's good to see a woman embracing what she already has.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My friend cried off an on for months when her wavy hair went straight after having a baby.

Don't worry though, that is what hot rollers are for! There is always hope.

Hot rollers rule! You can get some pretty awesome perms these days too. Not the old 80's spiral, but it would be worth talking to a stylist if it really gets to you. :)

Silly, vanity post. Read at your own risk.

I've always had a dream that I could have mermaid hair. I'm not referring to the multi-colors that have become trendy over the last couple years. I'm referring to the length and waves.

Here is an example of what I mean by mermaid hair:

http://kristinaludwig.com/ludwig/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mermaid-mermaids-15836666-1024-768.jpg

My hair is already to my boobs, so I'm good there. It is naturally wavy and thick. However, I need it to be just a little bit wavier to achieve my vision of mermaid hair.

I read a post previously where someone's hair grew back very curly after the loss, whereas it was straight before.

My Question: Have any of you had your hair grow back wavier or curlier after the Hair loss? I'm curious if that was a one-off situation or if others had the same or similar experiences.

Before surgery my hair was straight and thin. I lost alot of hair after weight loss surgery and I cut it short. My hair is thicker, wavy and much more healthier prior to surgery! Crazy but true!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I lost a lot of hair :( My hair has always been thinner and fine textured. I am not losing as much now but I am making sure I get my Protein as a matter of fact I eat mostly meat eggs or Beans that's it.... They said it starts coming out at about 7 ish months in or so... and mine didn't start until then really sucks cos I didn't have all that much to begin with... I hope it stops soon... and Can thicken back up as well...

Mine started at 2.5 months. I was revision so I was already on all Vitamins, get my Protein in and use Biotin and nioxin. I should be happy Im getting healthier but losing my hair had me in tears two days,ago

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Oh, dear. I am 2 mo out with RnY and have followed my surgeon's instructions since Day 1. I am taking a supplement for skin, hair, nails and my optisource Bariatric chewables daily. Try mightily to meet my Protein goals, but don't always. My is thin, especially on top and especially since menopause, and fine-textured, even slick. I've always been able style it well enough that I get compliments. Most WLS friends report that their loss was concentrated on the crown. I have never looked good in hats or headscarves, so, short of staying home, not sure how to avoid stares and questions when it inevitably happens. Never thought of myself as being particularly vain, but I won't lie, this has me worried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I am losing crazy hair. I used to have long strait hair down to my booty, and I had to cut it right after surgery to make it look better. I cried a bit, since I have always loved my long beautiful hair, but my psych told me I would be happier when it started to thin out and I had shorter hair so it wouldn't be as noticeable. He was right. I love my short hair now, and even though I can see the hair falling out, I dont notice it when I look in the mirror, nor does anyone else. So that makes me happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by CNOEL3