Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changes after hair loss

Silly, vanity post. Read at your own risk.

I've always had a dream that I could have mermaid hair. I'm not referring to the multi-colors that have become trendy over the last couple years. I'm referring to the length and waves.

Here is an example of what I mean by mermaid hair:

http://kristinaludwig.com/ludwig/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mermaid-mermaids-15836666-1024-768.jpg

My hair is already to my boobs, so I'm good there. It is naturally wavy and thick. However, I need it to be just a little bit wavier to achieve my vision of mermaid hair.

I read a post previously where someone's hair grew back very curly after the loss, whereas it was straight before.

My Question: Have any of you had your hair grow back wavier or curlier after the Hair loss? I'm curious if that was a one-off situation or if others had the same or similar experiences.

The link was bad. Here is the image. Mermaid-mermaids-15836666-1024-768.jpg

I believe it often changes texture. I'm not sure you're going to achieve mermaid hair though! Lol

:( :( :( :( :(

I always have had very thick hair. It's almost like I have two head of hair: the top and sides are straight and the back and underneath are curlier. I wore my hair long for years. Not long after surgery I had it all cut off and donated it. I have been wearing it short since then and because it isn't as heavy and weighted down, it tends to be curlier.

I didn't notice any significant Hair loss due to surgery.

@@CLN.BK

So far no hair loss for me. I noticed my hair actually getting thicker and grow faster post surgery.

I keep it shoulder length,as any longer gets annoying for me.

I discussed this with my NUT, and she said that because I keep taking my Vitamins and eating as per food plan, with the Protein intake, this definitely helps to keep the hair, or getting healthier hair post op.

No, I don't have Mermaid hair :)

It seems bit more wavier, but I live in humid Queensland, so humidity turns my hair slightly curly ....

I hate to break it to your but if you have curly wavy hair, your hair is just as likely if not more likely to grow back straight. So many of my curly/wavy friends end up with straight hair after having babies. A flood of hormones will change your hair texture.

I hate to break it to your but if you have curly wavy hair, your hair is just as likely if not more likely to grow back straight. So many of my curly/wavy friends end up with straight hair after having babies. A flood of hormones will change your hair texture.

I just wailed out loud. Say it ain't so! :(

My friend cried off an on for months when her wavy hair went straight after having a baby.

Don't worry though, that is what hot rollers are for! There is always hope.

My hair has become very thin and straight ever since I started gaining weight. Now it's shedding even more. I would kill to have thick dark hair like my mother or sister.. [emoji17]

I've got enough thick, wavy, coarse hair for about 3 people...and I'm suddenly NOT ok with the thought of losing ANY of my hair. I get a Brazilian Blowout every 3 months and highlights, this hair is worth MONEY, people. But if I do have to lose some, I pray that it comes back in straight. CLN.BK, I wish we could trade. I think my hair could be 'mermaid hair' with a bit of effort and I want it to be bone-straight.

@@CLN.BK

About 2/3 of my hair fell out during the rapid weight loss period. I had slightly wavy hair before, it could be straightened easily.

Now, my hair is so curly, even my stylist is shocked at how it grew back. My granddaughter has hair like this and my family often wondered where it came from. I had super Curley hair as a baby and toddler but my mom used some chemical to straighten it when I was 3. All my hair fell out and when it grew back in my curls were gone.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have a very thick head of hair again. That being said it is a pain in my ass to take care of. I have to use a ton of product in it just to keep it from getting frizzy, I cannot wash it all the time or it becomes dry and frizzy, and I cannot just get up in the morning, brush my hair and get going. I have to plan a good 30 minutes to wet it and put some product on it that will make the curls be calm.

I have been growing it out because the length then pulls and calms the curls a bit but my hair went from straight to very curly, kinky.

Straightening it takes forever and I have an expensive flat Iron that works great.

I also would like to add that I got all of my Protein, Vitamins and Water from the very early stages. I took Biotin daily. Both my surgeon and dermotologist told me some people are more prone to lose their hair no matter what they do during massive weight loss. Some are just luckier.

Signed....

Happy I have lots of hair, but learning how to deal with it at 53!