Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post intubation pain?!

Hi Everyone,

Just curious, did anyone have very painful teeth or mouth after the surgery?

I'm familiar with the whole anesthesia and intubation procedures but... I never imagined having to take a pain pill to deal with mouth pain rather than surgery pains...

I am 4 days post op and today was by far the worst mouth pain I have felt since surgery.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using the BariatricPal App

I didn't have tooth pain, but I had horrible throat pain. A lovely night nurse called the Dr. because it was so bad, and he said I could use chloraseptic spray-- that made a huge improvement.

Mild throat pain is not unusual after anesthesia. Mouth/teeth pain really shouldn't be related to being intubated. When I was trained to intubate (Paramedic) I was warned that incorrect technique will cause you to use the teeth as a lever and could break teeth. I would speak to your doctor about it, there may be something else causing it that has nothing to do with the intubation, it's just coincidence.

Mouth, tooth or jaw???

If your mouth was opened too far you may be having TMJ pain of the jaw joint. That can be extremely painful.

Give your team a call and tell them what's going on.

They will be able to guide you.

Anytime you have unacceptable pain do not hesitate to call your surgical team. They want to know what's going on with you.

Then come back and let us "all". :) Yes, we are nosy, but we also care---a great deal. :)

Thanks all, I will give them a call Monday morning. It's strange. It's just the roof of my mouth. (Soft pallet) and 1-2 teeth. No throat, tongue, pain etc. Like I said in my original post. It does not make sense to me that I'm taking medicine to combat mouth pain vs. The surgery pain...

Update: So I went to see my primary care and she examined my mouth and suggested I see a dentist.

I saw my dentist and got an X-ray. There is nothing wrong with my teeth...

I called my surgeons office and spoke with the RN. She told me to discontinue my GERD meds incase they're causing me to have a reaction...

I am so confused. All I know, is that I woke up in tears yesterday morning with a 10/10 headache/mouth pain. Now I have no explanation.. all I can think Is that maybe the intubation was rough. I am praying this subsides.

@@Lindsay86 GERD medicine can cause that type of reaction? Weird. Did your PCP happen to check your sinuses? Hope the pain goes away soon.

@@KristenLe no I don't think so... She asked me if I was on any new meds and the only one that is new is my gerd med.. my pcp did not check my sinuses but I will def be calling her if the pain persists. Thank you for the well wishes.

I would (my opinion) ask to see the "op report"--including the anesthesia/respiratory notes. I would be curious to want to know what happened in the OR that would cause you to have this mysterious pain that no one wants responsibilty for.

You may have to pay for the pages that you want, but knowing what happened would be (to me) worth the expense.

In the meantime, I hope your pain subsides. Who knew, right???

Feel better, friend.

I would (my opinion) ask to see the "op report"--including the anesthesia/respiratory notes. I would be curious to want to know what happened in the OR that would cause you to have this mysterious pain that no one wants responsibilty for.

You may have to pay for the pages that you want, but knowing what happened would be (to me) worth the expense.

Feel better, friend.

Hmm I didn't think of that. Hopefully they are detailed.. that's the only thing I can think of, is that I was a hard intubation.. but 1 week post op and still having pain?! How rough could it have been? I will def be looking into this more.

Feel better, friend.

Hmm I didn't think of that. Hopefully they are detailed.. that's the only thing I can think of, is that I was a hard intubation.. but 1 week post op and still having pain?! How rough could it have been? I will def be looking into this more.

"Report of Operation" documentation is to be detailed--step by step. --Especially if there was a "difficulty" of any kind.

Good luck and PLEASE post back and let us know what you found out.

Nosy? yep :) Do I really care? Sure do!!!

@@KristenLe

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!! Sinusitis it is!! I went to the doctors today, and I have a sinus infection. The doctor said he would also bet that it could have been brought on by being intubated!!

Thank you all for your replies! The timing was so close to my surgery that I def thought it was related. A few days of my antibiotics I should be much better!