Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea attacks when I sleep

Hi all. I want to preface my question with saying Ive already gone to my surgical team and they have no answers for me. Want to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

I was sleeved on 7/13 and up until This Tuesday 7/26 have had no real complaints. No nausea, regular bowel movements, no heart burn, no problems with anything I ate (all full liquids).

7/26 I woke up feeling really tired, body aches, and chills- but went to work anyway (desk job). Could only make it through half the day because I was feeling so crappy. I had almost a whole Protein Shake and maybe 20os of Water that day (by 2pm). Came home went to bed and became freezing (it's over 100 here). Had a fever of 101, ran to bathroom, extreme nausea, very dry mouth, and became sweaty to the point I was going to pass out. Eventually it passed and I went back to bed. Still had a fever.

Went to ER, my doctor ran multiple tests, CT scan, X-ray, blood tests, urine tests. Everything was normal, no leaks. In the ER I was miserable- freezing and shivering out of control, nauseous, diarrhea, heart rate through the roof all night. They decided it must be dehydration (even though I had all of these symptoms after 1.5 bags of IV fluid). I was admitted to the hospital and felt Better the next day. I've been home now for 2 days with diarrhea. I've been trying to get as much Fluid as I can in but probably only getting 40oz liquid, and 10ish Protein.

Last night last thing I ate was chicken broth at 8pm. Went to sleep at 11:30, woke up at 3am freezing again with no fever, nausea, diarrhea, and dry heaving. Any water I took in immediately came out. I started thinking it has something to do with laying down after drinking? After I dry heaved and burps would come out I would feel much better.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences? Sorry so long but thought it would be good to include all details.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by LA_lady

It may be that you just got sick - either a virus or food poisoning. If it's a virus, you'll just have to wait it out and see if you feel better in a few days, but you also might want to change out the food/broth/whatever you're eating for a different batch (not from whatever you are currently eating/drinking - go to a different store and buy a different brand of everything) and seeing if you still get the same symptoms. If it's not food poisoning it might be a sensitivity to a specific brand of something you're eating before you get sick.

It sort of sounds like some of the symptoms of reactive hyperglycemia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

I'd also caution you to not lay down within 30 minutes of eating or drinking anyway as it can cause you to get reflux in the early days. It wouldn't likely be what is making you sick tho. It honestly sounds more like you caught a flu bug or something like that more than anything related to your surgery.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Are you getting heart palpitations too? Fluttering?

You could possibly need some electrolytes to replace the potassium and sodium lost with the diarrhea

Yes heart palpitations.

My doc now says it must be some type of stomach bug. I don't know if I agree but feeling a little better today. Hoping it doesn't happen again tonight when I sleep. I'm going to try not to drink anything an hour before going to sleep.

Thyroid Storm can act like that. So anyone on thyroid meds have to be mindful that their body is changing quickly and adjustments need to be made to medication or they might be taking too much. As a result you could throw yourself into a storm. Please keep that in mind. Your going from hypo-to-hyper!

If you take thyroid meds make sure you tell the ER.

I knew it.... you are low in electrolytes... get yourself some and have them regularly...

It sounds as you have a number of issues, which is leading to other issues... the low electrolytes cause heart palpitations, sweaty, jittery feeling, nausea etc.. it also reduces your blood pressure...

The diarrhea might be a separate issue, but it is probably contributing to your low electrolytes.

Try to add a little salt to your meals (if making fresh food), try to have foods high in potassium, make sure your multi has Vitamins AND minerals.

Try that, let me know how you go..

Sorry i just realised you are probably on liquids.... get yourself some Gatorade... or go to the pharmacy and buy a electrolyte replacement drink... they are both safe this early out

Edited by AussieGirl81