Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does you tummy feel smaller? Shopping list suggestions

Hey I have a weird question I'm just really trying to gauge how this is going to feel after surgery. does it feel like your stomach is smaller? or can you not really tell until you try to eat something?? Like you just can't hold as much food. but does your stomach stomach feel any different? This is actually a two-part question also I'm wondering what should I be buying pre op. Im about 30 days out.

No, your stomach doesn't feel any smaller. You really don't have the kind of nerves that can relay that kind of information to your brain. You won't feel any different until you try to eat more than you should.

What you should buy pre-op depends on what your bariatric team permits for post-op eating and how long each stage of eating lasts. Make sure you have a digital food scale and a heating pad. Don't overshop for food, you'll be taking in a lot less than you are used to! Most people end up throwing stuff away because they bought too much, imagining they needed 12 different varieties of everything and not really being able to imagine how little they would eat/drink.

Felt no different for me.

Woke up in recovery and was thirsty. Was given ice chips that first afternoon and they were glorious little thirst quenchers.

Began Water and Protein shake intake that next morning.

Hunger has never been an issue from that point through now (10 months post-op).

The only time I've noticed as difference is when eating. The old tank fills up really fast....like after a chicken breast or can of tuna fast. I feel full and satisfied and can go just fine for 6 more hours until I remember to eat again.

Zero complications or drawbacks.

The hardest part of it was simply the 2 weeks of liquid only leading up to the surgery and that wasn't very hard. I did 4 weeks of the same diet post-op and it was a breeze. Seeing the scale move daily during this time was enough of an emotional bolster to inspire me to continue.

Zero regrets.

Yeah, you definitely don't feel any difference in your stomach until you try to eat something. You will definitely have some "eyes are bigger than your stomach" situations, especially once you move onto solid foods. It takes a long time to be able to visually gauge how much food you can eat. So definitely rely on a food scale and measuring cups in the beginning to get your portions right.

I didn't really feel physically different. It was strange once I was able to eat solids, making dinner for the week and thinking "I could eat all of that" Then being completely satisfied by my one cup sized portion.

You'll want to make sure you've got a digital scale, blender, tiny tupperware containers to portion out servings. sugar free Jello, ice pops, and drinks are good to have on hand. If you don't already have one I would get a good 32oz or larger Water bottle, helps with hitting daily liquid goals. Make sure you get your Protein power/shakes.

I recommend having some ice packs. I found they really helped with incision pain.

If you like your Water cold, I recommend getting an insulated water bottle or cup. I love my ThermoTank.

Your tastes will change, so don't buy too much of anything. Yogurt was my go-to pre-op. I liked it for the first week post-op, and now I can't stand it. Most sweet things have an off flavor to me. :( remember you will be eating tiny amounts. A single can of Soup will be enough for 3-4 meals.

Your stomach doesn't feel any different, though you will likely burp more than before. Certain things will fill you up very fast. Feeling "full" doesn't always feel like full did before. It may be discomfort, or pressure, or burping. Certain foods will taste awesome going down, and then sit like a rock in your new stomach.

I'm two weeks out, and here is what I actually used my first two weeks:

2 bottles Atkins Protein Water

1 package Jello

1 package Jello pudding

1 package sugar free Popsicles

3 cans of condensed Soup

Several containers of flavored yogurt

Cream of wheat

Small container of plain yogurt

Crystal light/Mio

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I recommend having some ice packs. I found they really helped with incision pain.

If you like your Water cold, I recommend getting an insulated Water bottle or cup. I love my ThermoTank.

Your tastes will change, so don't buy too much of anything. Yogurt was my go-to pre-op. I liked it for the first week post-op, and now I can't stand it. Most sweet things have an off flavor to me. :( remember you will be eating tiny amounts. A single can of Soup will be enough for 3-4 meals.

Your stomach doesn't feel any different, though you will likely burp more than before. Certain things will fill you up very fast. Feeling "full" doesn't always feel like full did before. It may be discomfort, or pressure, or burping. Certain foods will taste awesome going down, and then sit like a rock in your new stomach.

2 bottles Atkins Protein water

1 package Jello

1 package Jello pudding

3 cans of condensed soup

Cream of wheat

Crystal light/Mio

thanks for your post it was very informative,

If you like your Water cold, I recommend getting an insulated Water bottle or cup. I love my ThermoTank.

2 bottles Atkins Protein water

1 package Jello

1 package Jello pudding

3 cans of condensed soup

Cream of wheat

Crystal light/Mio

thanks for your post it was very informative,

Thank you :-)

Super informative it sounds like I'm going to save a ton of money on my grocery bill! lol. What about Vitamins what are you taking now?

I forgot to mention the Protein supplements. I also drank two premier Protein shakes each day, starting day 4.

Supplements:

Starting immediately after surgery:

Multivitamin 2x/day

Vitamin b1 1x/day

Vitamin B12 (sublingual) 1x/day

Starting two weeks out:

Calcium citrate 500 mg 3x/day

Vitamin D 1x/day

Starting four weeks out:

Iron 60mg 1x/day

Vitamin C 500mg 1x/day