Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys. I'm really enjoying reading your posts. I've finally made the decision to set aside my fears and go for VSG surgery. I see my doctor this week so hopefully she gets the ball rolling for me.

I've been doing a lot of research but some of the info on line seems outdated. Does anyone here have Kaiser Orange County (CA)? I'm wondering if they still require the options classes and how long the process takes from initial visit to your PCM, to surgery date, if you keep all your appointments.

Also I have this fear that she will tell me no for some reason lol. I'm a new patient to her and I rarely go to the doc so there isn't many records of my weight in the last 5 years, Kaisers website says they require you to be overweight for 3 of the last 5 years, which I have been. Idk I guess I'm just really hopeful and I don't want her to turn me down.

I'm currently at my heaviest weight of 241 (I'm 5'4"). My BMI is 40.1. I guess my worry stems from years of people telling me I am "not big enough to have bariatric surgery" (even though I've bounced around from 200-241 most of my adult years) & "bariatric surgery is an easy fix" and "you can lose the weight naturally". I guess I just need reassurance lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello! I had a bypass and I'm in NY, so I'm no help to you regarding your first few questions. But I did just want to say that someone is ALWAYS going to be saying that surgery is the easy way out, or the quick fix, etc. There are even people here on this forum who have surgery and still think that way... until a year or two goes by and they realize that it certainly is not in any way easy. The weight will drop quickly, and it will drop easily for the first year or so, give or take a few months. But anyone who isn't willing or able to make the huge lifestyle changes required for success is going to have the same thing happening: regain. Most people here have been trying so hard for most of their lives to lose weight without success, or with fleeting success. The surgery is just a tool to kickstart the loss and give you the chance to drastically change your habits as well as to help "reset" your metabolism. So it's not only not easy, but it's not actually a fix! It is, however, the best chance we've got at losing the weight for good and becoming healthy. In the end, regardless of the rampant misconceptions and judgments of ignorant people who don't understand the medical reasons behind surgery, that's what matters. You deserve health and happiness.

Also, the whole "easy way out" thing has always really bugged me. Even if it were the easy way out (it isn't), why in the world wouldn't people with a legitimate disease take the easiest course of treatment for their disease?! That's like saying to a cancer patient, "well, they could try to excise your cancer, but you want to take the easy way out and do chemo instead, and I have a right to judge you about it." Ridiculous. You know what you need to be successful, and I want you to remember that going forward. Making this kind of life-altering decision is not without its risks when it comes to telling family and friends. Some people lose friends and even spouses during this journey. It's sad and frustrating that people are so ignorant, but this time has to be about you and your health. You've got this! Good luck to you. :) Feel free to friend me or message me any time if I can help at all.

Thank you Cervidae!

I was always really self conscious about what everyone would say. I have just recently gotten comfortable with being a big girl but honestly I can't deal with all the added health issues. And I decided that if people aren't dealing with my issues then they have no say in my decisions. As a preparation, I sat down and wrote down my weight from the age of 13 to now, all the diets, all the losses and gains....it's really just sad how many times I've gone down this road and end up in the same place every single time. My girlfriend is completely supportive and that's all that matters to me. No one else knows my struggle like she does and when I brought it up a few weeks ago, fully expecting her to give me the "that's the easy way out" speech, she simply said, if it will help you feel better, then you should do it. I was gonna do it regardless lol but of course I wanted to talk it over with her. I felt so much better knowing that at least she was on my side even if other people won't be. I almost don't want to tell anyone lol.

Anyway, I don't know how to add friends on here! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App