Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I a candidate for WLS

I am 270lbs 5' 10" BMI ~38, and have tried Dr supervised diets and failed. I have HBP and sleep Apnea as well. I am ready for a change and regularly take Karate classes as exercise. Would like opinions about WLS, which one etc. looking for general guidance.

Thank you so much!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The normal guidelines for WLS is a BMI of 40 or above with no other weight related medical conditions.....or a BMI of 35 or higher with other medical conditions...you mentioned you have sleep apnea which is one of the conditions that would help you qualify for surgery....So yes it sounds like you meet the basic requirements...

However, your best bet is to attend an informational seminar with a bariatric center in your area. The seminar is usually facilitated by bariatric surgeons and will provide you with lots of information that will help you determine if surgery is a good option for you. So in my opinion your first step should be to attend an informational seminar....

Good luck to you!

Read, Read, Read.

Go to a Baratric Doctor.

Talk to your insurance to see. Usually is it BMI over 40, or less if you have TWO co-morbilites.

I know that I unintentionally bumped my BMI over the range (the first time I considered the surgery), because my knee is shot, so I was slumping and measured tall-which helped the math. (Don't do that!)

Now, from postponing, I am bigger, so..qualifying was *easier*, yeah me.

My BMI was between 34 and 35 and I didn't have any of the comorbid conditions thankfully but I had the surgery anyways. Insurance wouldn't pay so I self paid in Mexico. I had the vertical sleeve. I gained and lost weight my whole life and at age 55 I knew if I didn't get to healthy weight I would start going downhill fast. I didn't agree that I should wait to be in poorer health to then undergo surgery. I wanted to give myself the best odds at achieving my goals and staying healthy. It's different for everyone so I agree an informational seminar and doc consult is best.

Thanks for the replies. I've been to a seminar, and understand the different surgeries, but it was clear the Surgeons didn't want to say one was better than another. Case dependent, I understand that, but want to gauge which one I would be most successful with. I have a good addiction in my opinion, would be nice if the surgery helped with the cravings. Nothing is a miracle cure, but anything that would help would be great.

I suggest doing lots of research on all the possibilities. A google search will give you lots and lots of information. ......for example if you feel like you have a strong addition to sweets...then maybe bypass would be a good option.....Lots of bypass patients experience something called dumping with bypass which is caused by eating foods high in sugar or high in fat...dumping basically makes you feel really really sick......so that could be an extra incentive...

Unfortunately they don't operate on our brains so with any of the surgeries you have to do lots and lots of work and effort on your own.....I had gastric sleeve on 5/16 and I've lost almost 54 pounds. I don't experience hunger for the most part...and if I do I'm satisfied with very little food. I have not regretted having this surgery even for a second!!! I still have to make sure I'm eating healthy....my primary focus is on Protein....I don't eat starches or breads while I'm in the weight loss mode. So I basically I eat Protein and small amounts of non starchy veggies. Once I'm in maintenance I'll slowly add small amounts of those items back, but that's still a longs ways off.

I'm sure once you have a one-on-one consultation with the surgeon they will provide you with their opinion on which surgery is best for you, at least mine did.....but doing your research and having a good idea of what you think will be best for you will be a good idea as well.

Good luck!

I've a BMI of 35 and will be self paying in Mexico. Op is in September. I'm having the gastric sleeve done. I agree with what the others said- read up in great detail because only you know what's best for you? Personally for me the sleeve is the better option. No nutritional deficiency etc (as long as I'm careful with my diet).

Thanks for the replies. I've been to a seminar, and understand the different surgeries, but it was clear the Surgeons didn't want to say one was better than another. Case dependent, I understand that, but want to gauge which one I would be most successful with. I have a good addiction in my opinion, would be nice if the surgery helped with the cravings. Nothing is a miracle cure, but anything that would help would be great.

I found that the Sleeve is the best.

There is a link where you can compare all three options, I'll upload as soon I find it.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Sergio_TX

I've a BMI of 35 and will be self paying in Mexico. Op is in September. I'm having the gastric sleeve done. I agree with what the others said- read up in great detail because only you know what's best for you? Personally for me the sleeve is the better option. No nutritional deficiency etc (as long as I'm careful with my diet).

What MD are you using? The one in San Antonio?

Sent from my iPhone

What MD are you using? The one in San Antonio?

Sent from my iPhone

Im using Dr Garcia at Tijuana Bariatrics.