Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Majority of Band to Sleeve Revisions done in two surgeries?!

I went for my final doctor appointment before my surgery on July 22nd today. My insurance has approved me for band to sleeve revision all in one surgery. I remember my doctor mentioning when we first discussed revision surgery that it is done in one surgery unless there is a lot of scar tissue or something. I didn't think too much about it because I've never had hernia surgery or gall bladder or any other abdominal surgery other than the lap band.

So today he tells me that most of the time the revision is done in two surgeries! I am really upset. I can't take time off work and burn up sick time, money, energy etc on a third surgery!

So I guess my question is how many of you were told it might be two surgeries and woke up sleeved? Do most doctors just say that to cover the behinds?

I was just revised to the sleeve from the lap band last month and was told from the beginning it would be done as one surgery, I was then told at my pre- op appointment that i might have just the band removed if there were any complications during surgery and be sleeved at a later time, not what i wanted to hear 4 days before surgery but I was trying to prepare myself for that outcome also, but when I came to in recovery that was the first thing I asked the nurse am I sleeved and she said yes!! so I was extremely relieved :) I was also told later by my surgeon that I had a LOT of scar tissue too so not quite sure why some need to do it with 2 separate surgeries, but I am so thankful it was done as one, I can not imagine having to take that amount of time from work and recovering from 2 surgeries so close together Hope it works out!!

Edited by blueeyez

Thank you for your response. That is exactly my situation! I have been told all along one surgery and now at this last appointment he says, weeeeelllll...probably two....My insurance approved one procedure and I've not had any other surgeries other than having the band put in two years ago so I am praying it all happens in one.....I made it very clear to my doctor that I didn't think I'd be able to take time off of work or get a second approval from my insurance company. My doctor said he does mostly 2 surgeries because only 1% of sleeves leak if done in 2 surgeries compared to 4% leaking in one procedure. I said I would take the 3% risk. If he takes this out and doesn't sleeve me I will feel like I have wasted all my sick time, endured weeks and weeks of liquid diets and undergone 2 surgeries to end up right back where I started from 2 years ago. I wasn't too worried about this procedure until he told me this and now I'm very stressed about the whole thing.

I was told they would determine whether I would have it in one or two surgeries by the amount of scar tissue I had from my band. The scar tissue wasn't bad so they did it in one surgery.

I'm praying to have mine done in one surgery also.

My Dr wouldn't do it in 1 surgery so I am having to go through the whole process again including 6 months diet monitoring, dietician and psych eval as if I were never banded... Quite frustrating but I'm almost there. Last monitoring appointment 8/1. Hoping approval goes through smoothly

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Makes you wonder if its about money (2 procedures more money or more hoops to jump through) I would like to think its more about your well being but I don't understand why you would have to do 2 procedures unless when they got in there something went horribly wrong and they didn't think it was safe but like I said my surgeon told me that I had a LOT of scar tissue but he still was able to do one procedure and I was in and out of the surgery in about 2 hours

My Dr wouldn't do it in 1 surgery so I am having to go through the whole process again including 6 months diet monitoring, dietician and psych eval as if I were never banded... Quite frustrating but I'm almost there. Last monitoring appointment 8/1. Hoping approval goes through smoothly

Here... they are not allowed to do it in one procedure.... there is a minimum wait of 3 months from band removal before you can have a revision.

Basically they say it is to allow your stomach to heal and for the area around your band to go back to its original shape.

My surgeon said he will TRY to do it in one surgery. I've not had any slippage or other reason to think there would be a lot of scar tissue. I'm praying. 4 more days!!!

My doctor said 1 surgery, and it'll be outpatient. I will be the first surgery that morning since it's a revision from band to sleeve (instead of just a sleeve). The more complicated the surgery, they are usually the first surgery scheduled. I'll be able to go home the same day in the early evening if all goes well.

I think it may be about money too. In the USA, there are so many hoops. The sleep test alone they charged the insurance $6K. CRAZY!

Edited by dvons

I was told the same thing, my doctor told there was a chance I wouldn't get sleeved the same day but thank God I woke up sleeved the same day...was banded for 4 years with no complications except that I had gained 30lbs back so that's why I decided to get sleeved...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I went for a consult today for a revision to sleeve. My doc told me today it would be better to do the band removal now and do the sleeve in like three months. I told him I can't really take off from work right now or avoid heavy lifting (my coworker is on maternity leave and we are short staffed). He said he's done it in one procedure many times but there is a higher risk of leaks 1% vs 3%. I am willing to take the chance. I don't want to go under twice anyways. Hopefully the scar tissue isn't that bad. I hope to have surgery in november

There's a good reason your surgeon recommends to do it in 2 steps... I don't understand why anyone would argue it. Your stomach is going to be swollen therefore your sleeve won't be the same as a "Virgin" sleever. After 3 months your swelling goes down. I have 2 friends who pushed for it to be done all in one surgery and they have barely lost anything- they wish they had let their stomach heal from the band removal.

I heard the same that chance of a leak is very high (3-4%) if it is done in 1 surgery.

Plus the leak is much more dangerous with sleeve than bypass.