Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Secret Sleeve & Recovery Time?

I know these topics have probably been addressed a ba-jillion times on here, but I searched and searched and couldn't find a thread with the answers I'm looking for:

1. I am not telling anyone about my surgery except for one friend because I needed someone to take me home from the hospital afterwards. Obviously, I'll need to take some time off from work. For those who didn't tell their boss or work colleagues, what reason did you give for needing the time off?

2. My surgery is on a Wed, and I was planning to return to work the following Monday (I have a desk job at a corporate office), or start working from home if I'm still in pain or feeling nauseous. Am I being totally unrealistic about how much time I'll need to recover?

I'm a secret sleever. My mom is the only person who knows. I told my manager I had a hiatal hernia repair. I had surgery in Mexico, so wanted extra time to recover. I was going to use STD but I used 6 days of sick time and worked from home for 5 days. I probably could have taken more time off, but other than being a little slow, I was fine returning to the office when I did. I scheduled naps (usually combining my lunch and breaks) while working from home. The first week in the office I worked 6 hours per day and would come home to nap a little.

I didn't have any issues with nausea after I left the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery on Thursday, 6/23/16 and returned to work Monday, 6/28/16.

Sent from my LG-H901 using the BariatricPal App

I know these topics have probably been addressed a ba-jillion times on here, but I searched and searched and couldn't find a thread with the answers I'm looking for:

1. I am not telling anyone about my surgery except for one friend because I needed someone to take me home from the hospital afterwards. Obviously, I'll need to take some time off from work. For those who didn't tell their boss or work colleagues, what reason did you give for needing the time off? I told them I was having surgery- just not what for and legally they are not allowed to ask.

2. My surgery is on a Wed, and I was planning to return to work the following Monday (I have a desk job at a corporate office), or start working from home if I'm still in pain or feeling nauseous. Am I being totally unrealistic about how much time I'll need to recover?

Honestly, I think a little bit. I took two weeks off and was easily tired out when I came back for another week or two by the end of the day-- but nothing anyone else could discern. If I had to guess, I would say you need at least one week off. It IS major surgery, be kind to yourself.

I also told my work "I'm having surgery." I work with mostly lawyers -- no one was stupid enough to think they had the right to ask me what kind of surgery. I really recommend not being untruthful -- just say surgery or planned medical leave. If you make up stuff like "gallbladder removal" or "anal fissure repair" then when the truth comes out (and odds are high that it will, no matter how secret you want it to be -- when you have a surgery and then start dropping weight like crazy, people WILL figure it out) you look like an untrustworthy, dishonest person. So just keep it simple and factual without revealing any details that you don't want to.

I think your timeframe for work is possibly unrealistic. Some people can manage to return to work that quickly, but most people can't. I took two weeks and probably should have taken more, I could barely get through three quarters of the day after two weeks. I also work at a desk job.

For most people, it isn't so much about the pain as the fatigue level. You can grit your teeth and get through pain, but if you are falling asleep at your desk, that is not good. Also, you may need to consider your commute -- if you are still on narcotic painkillers -- and many people are at that time out of surgery -- you won't be able to drive. So if you drive to and from work, you'd need an alternate plan just in case.

Good luck!

1. I am not telling anyone about my surgery except for one friend because I needed someone to take me home from the hospital afterwards. Obviously, I'll need to take some time off from work. For those who didn't tell their boss or work colleagues, what reason did you give for needing the time off?

Just be cautious - if there are any complications you may not be ready to return so quickly. At less than a week post-op - you may still have pain and will be exhausted. If you can take more time - I would.

I too am a mostly secret one with desk job. I said surgery and told one colleague it was fibroids. I definitely wanted to avoid gal bladder as I guess chances high for that one. Frankly it is no ones business and I am not one to over share that stuff generally. But people do care and (hopefully) weight loss will start to stick out. I plan on saying working with nutritionist and avoiding carbs. All true.

I work from home week 2 post op. Though at desk, I wouldnt have been comfortable being back at work all day 5-7 days post op.

I did benefit from it being near 4th of July so some holiday time was built in to my leave. I would say if you have it and can be out, I would give your body the luxury of leisure time to recover!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Your body will heal faster if you are able to rest periodically. Take some extra time if you can as it will be worth it in the long run,

I wasn't going to tell anyone but then I changed my mind and shared with my noss and fellow coworkers. I had surgery on Wednesday June 15th and returned to work on the following Monday. I was only able to work 1/2 days, not from pain, but from fatigue. And I work for a school on summer break so it was pretty quiet but still to much physically. I returned to work this week full 9 hr days and I am still bit tired at the end but much better than last week. Hope that helps some.

I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm planning on having the surgery 8/5 and return to work the next Wednesday. I hope I'll be OK.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

@@Laughkc11

If you have to drive any distance you probably shouldn't return to work that quickly. If you have a good recovery, you will have energy but you will also fatigue very easily.

If this is the only way you can work surgery in, then do what you have to do but like @@Bufflehead said, don't lie at work. You need some integrity in the work place. Just tell them surgery and talk to HR, don't talk to your boss. The amount of people that post on here about things they discuss with their boss and HR baffles me. 95% of the people that post here are a lawsuit waiting to happen for frazzled HR managers everywhere. Keep it light, keep it honest. They don't need to know exactly what you have having done. Surgery is enough, if they pry, practice your death stare.

You guys rock. Thanks so much for the advice and reality check [emoji4]

I'm going to let my boss know I'm having surgery and will need to take the first full 3 days off, and will likely try to be available for conference calls, etc. from home the following week, which give me opportunities to rest as well. So much going on at work, but doing everything I can now to minimize the impact of my absence in a few weeks. Thanks again!

I'm in the same position. I'm having surgery 8/3. Planning to go back to work, but from home, that Monday 8/8.

And I'm going to be putting my time off request in tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm thinking of just not giving a reason and saying I'm taking a long weekend. But perhaps I'll go with the it's for surgery without the details. Feeling torn on the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree with others and I did say surgery. It is amazing what people try to ask or comment as if prying as to what surgery it is. Like my boss. But i just said surgery. It was needed for me because I had to have some time where I could be unresponsive to email. And I definitely needed that week and enjoy the lower key work at home few days later!