Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post-op and my husband has brought me to the Caribbean to heal in a pretty and peaceful location. I've brought all my shakes etc with me and the resort has been good enough to make me special smooth Soups for lunch and dinner.

I'm staying away from alcohol per my doctor's direction but was wondering if anyone knows:

- why alcohol is a no-no after surgery

- what would happen if I took a single sip of wine at dinner

- how soon folks were able to have alcohol after surgery

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A recent article posted here on this subject - maybe a bit nannying but covers most of the issues.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/healthy-living/bariatric-realities-%e2%80%93-medical-professionals%e2%80%99-guidelines-about-alcohol-use-wls-r601

There are several reasons for avoiding alcohol post op for varying lengths of time, and different surgeons are attuned to different reasons -

Allowing the stomach to heal for some period of time (usually a few weeks or months) before subjecting it to irritants such as alcohol is the first and most common reason.

That alcohol is basically empty calories that doesn't help your weight loss is another common reason (so a sip of wine here and there after healing wouldn't be a big deal, beyond one sip leading to another...)

The prospect of transfer addiction is another reason given - we no longer have food to feed whatever addictive behavior we may have, so it can be easy for a casual drinking habit to turn into full blown alcoholism.

Being obese, our livers tend not to be in the best of shape to begin with (hence the "liver shrinking" pre-op diets that some surgeons impose) and metabolizing all the fat that we are losing adds another stress on it. The last thing that the liver needs is more stress on it from metabolizing a liver toxin such as alcohol.

The length of time before alcohol is permissible varies from one surgeon to another, from a few weeks to never again. My doc has us agree to not consume any as long as we are in weight loss mode.

At one week post op every doctor will say no way!!! Your stomach is healing and alcohol very harsh to your GI track. Most patients will agree with no alcohol this soon out. As far as no alcohol forever that rule is so different among doctors. Mine allowed it later on.

That's a very comprehensive summary @@rickm - thank you for that. Also many thanks for sharing the paper.

Pretty awesome husband !

And thanks for sharing the paper @rickm

Got it! No alcohol for a while yet (which is really completely fine).

And yes, I got very lucky with this lovely man :)

I actually did try a few sips as in a few tablespoons of alcohol about 2 months out and my stomach did NOT care for it. At about 3 months out I tried about 1/2 a glass of wine and it came back up. I would NEVER try ANY alcohol without food for the first few months. I am about 10 months out now and only drink about once a week and then even just a glass or two gets me a LOT more tipsy than before. Long story short...you can't even eat food right now. FORGET about alcohol. Trying to drink alcohol now will only delay healing and progress and potentially cause trauma to your new tummy if you vomit. Also, I guess I should put this in the Pre-Surgery section so that people stop posting questions about their Disney vacation and other post op plans. Post op is for rest and recuperation, not jet setting and vacation. Also, as far as I know you can't swim a week out so why oh why your husband planned a likely all-inclusive vacation that you cannot fully partake does not seem very supportive or helpful. Maybe he did not realize that. Also you need to know that about a year from now you will be able to eat and drink more like a normal skinny person but always with VERY limited portions.

Note to would be trolls ...This is supposed to be the way a controversial subject should be discussed. Good information, a few personal observations which might be very helpful, and some camaraderie and NO name calling nor accusations. Kudos to everyone involved. Just saying...@@bini120 I'll quit hijacking your thread now. ;-)

Also, I guess I should put this in the Pre-Surgery section so that people stop posting questions about their Disney vacation and other post op plans. Post op is for rest and recuperation, not jet setting and vacation. Also, as far as I know you can't swim a week out so why oh why your husband planned a likely all-inclusive vacation that you cannot fully partake does not seem very supportive or helpful. Maybe he did not realize that. Also you need to know that about a year from now you will be able to eat and drink more like a normal skinny person but always with VERY limited portions.

Oh dear...

Yeah, @@bini120 ... ignore that post. ;)

I hope your post-op recovery is going great. :)

Welcome. :)

I am 10 days post op and asked my surgeon about drinking, post-op. His feedback was: beer...pretty much never, due to the carbonation/fizziness factor...and it can stretch your stomach out. Regular cocktails/liquor; 6 weeks post op and after. The alcohol inhibits the healing process and can lead to improper healing of the staple line. (He said it much more eloquently than I am). Plus, a lot of spirits/cocktails/mixed drinks, are high in calories and can derail your weight loss efforts. So, beyond the 6 week point, the stomach should be able to handle moderate imbibing. I would guess when the time comes to drink again, it would be better to not do it on an empty stomach...to see how the tolerance is.

I am 10 days post op and asked my surgeon about drinking, post-op. His feedback was: beer...pretty much never, due to the carbonation/fizziness factor...and it can stretch your stomach out. Regular cocktails/liquor; 6 weeks post op and after. The alcohol inhibits the healing process and can lead to improper healing of the staple line. (He said it much more eloquently than I am). Plus, a lot of spirits/cocktails/mixed drinks, are high in calories and can derail your weight loss efforts. So, beyond the 6 week point, the stomach should be able to handle moderate imbibing. I would guess when the time comes to drink again, it would be better to not do it on an empty stomach...to see how the tolerance is.

The stomach/sleeve "stretching" is a myth. It just doesn't. The problem with carbonation is that is often very painful, esp. early on. If you search "alcohol" you will find a bunch of info on the subject in various forums on the site. It is a subject that is highly controversial and there is great division within the medical side, and the patient side. Some of it's personal preference presented as fact.

But the empty calorie argument is a fact. And you did invest in your health. You have a six month or so honeymoon phase. This is the time when you are most likely to lose the most weight. You have a great second chance. Now this is my opinion: it's just too easy to lose this great opportunity if you drink before you hit your goal. Then proceed with caution. We are all adults, we can make our own decisions. I think if you poke around, you will find people who have no problems alcohol and others that do. (Just like non-WLS people). I'm a bit of evangelist for WLS, and I hope everyone who uses the tool, really grabs this opportunity for a very abundant healthy life.