Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric weightloss medications

HI I have a appointment to talk with bariatric doctor about gastric sleeves soon but I'm old I'm 62 I don't need anyone cutting my stomach now I don't have that many years left so I am thinking about weightloss medication and being supervised they offer that so I'm gonna talk with doctor what I need to know is whats good and safe and does it work

Very few weight loss medications are actually safe and effective from what I've heard, nor are appetite suppressants. You'd be best off asking your doctor. But as far as your age, there are some older people who have had sleeve or bypass, so you're not necessarily alone in that venture.

Hope you can find the answers you're looking for!

@@Mapleleaves Welch

The sleeve would be easier on your body long term than taking diet pills which are bad for your heart and probably won't work.

There are several people your age and older who have had the sleeve and are very successful with it. Maybe you can ask them some question

@@proudgrammy

@@VSGAnn2014

There's no reason not to explore surgery. Lots of people have surgery at 60 and later. Unless a maple tree or a statue of Dylan Thomas falls on you before Thursday, you've got plenty of time to enjoy better health and dance the night away. Two years or 40, it's all the same: Living.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I am 3 years post op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am 67 years old. I had the surgery because my condition of being overweight was destroying my body. I had developed high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea and GERD. All those conditions were resolved shortly after surgery. I physically now have the stamina that I had when I was in my 30's. For example during each of the last couple years, I moved over 100,000 pounds of gravel and concrete blocks by hand for one of my home building projects.

LOL! 62 is not old. Dude!

I'm 8 years older than you (the OP). And I have A LOT OF YEARS LEFT!

Seriously, my mother died last year at 96 and a half years of age. I expect to live at least another 20 years.

I plan to cause a lotta trouble and have a lotta fun during the next 20 years.

Auntie Mame's famous saying seems more than appropriate for a WLS message board: "Life's a banquet, and most poor fools are starving to death!"

I am 61 and just had sleeve surgery in May because I want to live actively and be able to move without pain for whatever number of years that I have left. So far down over 25 pounds and feeling great. That said, Surgery is not necessarily the answer for everyone. Research all your options.

My clinic has me on Saxenda (liraglutide) injections until I have my surgery. It kills your appetite. It's not cheap though, here in Alberta it's not covered if it is used for weight loss only if it is used for diabetes. I hope I get my date soon because the cost is killing me. I don't think 62 is too old, go for the surgery if you want it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

at 66 years old I had lapband surgery, it was the best thing I have ever done. I have maintained my loss for 3 years I am now 69 and feel like i'm in my 40's. no diabetes, it was almost out of control , no high cholesterol, no high blood pressure I am mobile and fit,,, I exercise 3 or 4 days a week. you are never too old to get health. Lapband was less invasive but it requires patient compliance. However, I still have my stomach and my intestines were not re-routed. I only take a few Vitamins a day and can eat pretty much what I like. I do not eat bread or Pasta and I mostly eat Protein and some vegetables . I can still have a treat now and then and even a drink on special occasions. don't give up due to your age, you have lots of good years left

I was 62 when I got sleeved 12/23/2013. Having a stroke convinced me that I did not have any more time to try another diet or miracle cure. There are no overweight old people in my family. Their bodies wear out in their 60's.

The day of surgery, I went in at 7 a.m. They gave me a nice nap while they worked on my belly, and then I was back in my room by 10 a.m I slept most of the time I was there and came home on day too. With an uncomplicated recovery, the whole process has not been that bad.

I have my life back and can look forward to a ripe old age. The thin people in my family make it well into their nineties in good health.

Here is a link to my favorite thread. There are 1,348 reasons why the rest of us took the plunge and got help from bariatric surgery.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/?hl=%20final%20%20straw

My doctor put me on phentermine before referring me to bariatrics. It worked for about a month but it's easy to eat around. You can also take an ephedra/caffeine combo aka EC stack. In either case, working with a doctor is the right way to go. Good luck to you.

I had my initial gastric sleeve at age 63 (actually a month & a half shy of 64). I then had a revision of the sleeve & conversion to a single-anastomosis duodenal switch at age 66. I am now completely off all prescription meds for diabetes, high blood pressure & high cholesterol.

If diet medications worked none of us would have ever needed surgery.

I had my initial gastric sleeve at age 63 (actually a month & a half shy of 64). I then had a revision of the sleeve & conversion to a single-anastomosis duodenal switch at age 66. I am now completely off all prescription meds for diabetes, high blood pressure & high cholesterol.

If diet medications worked none of us would have ever needed surgery.

hi thank you for replying to me you make alote of sence about the medication and every one on here are telling me my age is fine THANK YOU SO MUCH you have helped me

@@Mapleleaves Welch

Hi. I am about 20 years younger than you, but have had experience with a few of the weightloss drugs. I took FenPhen back in the mid 90s. It didn't do much for me and about a month after I started taking it they decided it was dangerous so I stopped. About 10 years ago, a psych. put me on Topomax, at the time off label, without warning me of any side effects accept the weightloss. I was on it for three of the most miserable weeks of my life. It was extremely strong medicine even on low dosages. When I started this journey more than two years ago and I wasn't ready for the surgery yet, the dr. wanted to put me back on meds. I refused. weightloss - for me- wasn't worth the side effects of the Topomax.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

pam

I'm 60 and just had gastric sleeve surgery 12 days ago and have never felt better!!! I've lived for so many years with severe obstructive sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, high cholesterol, major knee problems, I was pre-diabetic, etc., that I kick myself for not doing this sooner. When I was depressed, I thought like you do, but now I WANT to live, not just exist, but really live!!! I'm following my doctor's orders and I'm on my way. Please don't give up, you're still young and can have a full and satisfying life ahead of you. I'm praying our Almighty Father will bless you with peace and motivation so you can LIVE again.