Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op, and feeling prepared. CW: 338.5 HW: 386.2 GW: 155.0

"You're a cool kid, and we really want you around for awhile. I am going to approve you for the surgery."

Hey Team VSG/WLS,

I am Kayla, 29-years-old; live in San Diego, and work at the Symphony full-time. I freelance as a professional makeup artist for fun on the side, and am also a full-time college student. The hustle is real!

Yesterday I was approved by the SoCal division of Kaiser Permanente for the VSG surgery after my 24-week lifestyle Healthy Options program completion. I've already taken off a bit of weight, but I don't want to go into my thirties struggling with plateaued weight loss. I've lost almost fifty pounds in the last year, but am ready to kick it up a notch. Admitting you need help is a big step.

My weight loss focus began when I literally broke a bike while cruising the lakefront in Chicago and had to drag the bike on the walk of shame seven miles back to the starting point since cabbies wouldn't load it. Am a very active fatty (run marathons, yoga, swim, surf, et al.), so watching the junk food alone took of the first chunk of weight... but after years of battling medically diagnosed Binge Eating Disorder, I am used to having a mixing bowl-sized salad, and only began taking off weight again this month by replacing two meals per day with Soylent and intaking Water at 100 ounces. It's miserable; am hungry all the time.

Decided to take the next step to pursue WLS when in Istanbul, Turkey. After leaving the 8th Wonder of the World, locals extending typical Turkish hospitality asked me to sit with them for tea, and I nearly broke one of the small public stools. They had to search for a sturdier chair, and I hat to hold back tears... even though they weren't being judgmental (most of Europe has the "a body is a body" mindset, but I was still mortified). My weight hasn't stood in the way of living a full and dynamic life, but for the first time having to inconvenience a group due to my body mass was just too much.

So far, things seem to be okay with Kaiser and the surgery albeit dealing with psychological issues as they are under maintenance, and after discussing this angle with the bariatric team yesterday, they said most of us deal with exceptionally high rates of depression/anxiety/Binge Eating Disorder. Tackling it two years ago to this point... is 1) why I think I lost the first chunk of weight, and 2) that they approved the surgery.

Really looking forward to interacting with you all here. Thankful to the community I've seen already. I'm on Instagram at @fatgirlsvelte if anyone wants to follow along and support each other's journeys there.

All love,

Kayla

P.S. Here's a face with a name... in my fave plaid shirt that I bought last year, and could button up this morning all the way!

post-294988-0-51887500-1466795132_thumb.jpg

Yes ma'am, took it this morning here at work!

The activity has a lot to do with my body composition; actually may not reach my goal weight according to the doc because of my muscle tone—running 5ks daily hauling around 300+ pounds really builds up the legs

That's a pic of 338? You go girl!

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The activity has a lot to do with my body composition; actually may not reach my goal weight according to the doc because of my muscle tone—running 5ks daily hauling around 300+ pounds really builds up the legs

You have a very similar build to me.... i am quite muscular underneath all my fat.... if i go below 154 i look anorexic.... even when i was 176 i was still tiny... compared to others at the same weight... when i was 176 my friends and family were telling me i was getting too thin... so i think it depends on build, muscle and height..... how tall are you?

So it seems goals are very similar.... and congratulations on how far you have come so far... i can only imagine how awesome you will be once you have your surgery.

That's incredible, congrats on the surgery! I wear anywhere from a 24-30 now. Torrid stuff basically a size 26 (4) but I've not purchased clothes there for quite sometime. This top is a Talbots 3x, the jeans are Torrid size 4 (26-28). I find my best luck on ASOS curve and plus section, they always are generously cut and ludicrously stylish (as well as inexpensive!).

How are you feeling six weeks out?

You're going to look like a goddess when you take the weight off. Can I ask what size clothing you wear now.

My hw was 430ish surgery: 389. 6 weeks out about 355

Bless, this was wonderful to read... The fam has been pushing hard saying that 170-180 will be small enough, and if that's the case I certainly won't push it. This is for a lifetime of health, definitely not for the numbers on the scale. In the beginning it is important...but all bodies are unique.

I'm 5'9" (almost 5'10", the nurses fussed about the 3/4 of an inch). My mum was 6'3"; dad was quite short, but I've definitely inherited her muscle building biology and broad shoulders.

How tall are you? How long have you been post-op? Thank you for the inspiration!

You have a very similar build to me.... i am quite muscular underneath all my fat.... if i go below 154 i look anorexic.... even when i was 176 i was still tiny... compared to others at the same weight... when i was 176 my friends and family were telling me i was getting too thin... so i think it depends on build, muscle and height..... how tall are you?

So it seems goals are very similar.... and congratulations on how far you have come so far... i can only imagine how awesome you will be once you have your surgery.

I am a weirdo.. every time they measure my height i am either 5'7 or 5'8 ... i am currently 8 weeks post op from the sleeve, but i had the band for years prior... so i have gotten to goal in the past ...

I haven't weighed myself in a while, but i was last 209, but buildwise.... a size 14 (Australian) is loose fitting on me... i think in around 11lbs i should be able to squeeze into a 12. Yay me!

Wonderful!

I am a weirdo.. every time they measure my height i am either 5'7 or 5'8 ... i am currently 8 weeks post op from the sleeve, but i had the band for years prior... so i have gotten to goal in the past ...

I haven't weighed myself in a while, but i was last 209, but buildwise.... a size 14 (Australian) is loose fitting on me... i think in around 11lbs i should be able to squeeze into a 12. Yay me!

I'm simularly built I'm 5'11 and had surgery on April 12. My weight then was 286. About 10 weeks post op, I had gastric bypass n currently weigh 240. You'll look and feel great as the lbs start to go. Best feeling ever. Good luck on your journey

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App