Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had my mind made up (or so I thought) on sleeve surgery since the beginning of my journey back in October 2015, but now I am having second thoughts. The first medical facility I was working with really pushed the sleeve. I had to move to a new state in the middle of the 6 month workup, and my new surgeon keeps emphasizing that bypass is "the gold standard," and, while he thinks my weight loss will be comparable with both surgeries, he really seems to feel that bypass is a better choice. Now I'm second guessing my decision. Thoughts?

I was positive I wanted the sleeve. Less chance of dumping (I still dump), less chance of malnutrition (I suck at taking vitamins), more normalacy in my diet.

My surgeon pushed bypass because he was more comfortable with it but it wasn't about him, it was about me. I wasn't diabetic so bypass didn't hold extra benefits for me. He pushed and pushed.

I changed surgeons and had my sleeve surgery. Best decision ever.

I think you should consider the amount of weight you have to lose. Sleeve has a slightly lower weight loss rate, but it also has a much lower rate of complications. I want to avoid the possibility of dumping syndrome or diarrhea so I opted for the sleeve. I also had concerns about the malabsorption issues with bypass. It really comes down to trusting your instinct. Your surgeon may be an expert in the field but YOU are an expert on you. Best of luck regardless of what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone

It's just nerves I'm sure...surgery is less than a month out, and just want to make sure I've thought of everything! Thanks for your input!

Both surgeries will help with things like diabetes. Weight loss is about the same with both surgeries. With the bypass your intestines are reroutedand your unused stomach stays inside of you. That is what I didn't like about that

Both surgeries will help with things like diabetes. Weight loss is about the same with both surgeries. With the bypass your intestines are reroutedand your unused stomach stays inside of you. That is what I didn't like about that

Same here! The hospital's support group that I am a part of is very pro-bypass, so that doesn't help! I had an ER doctor a couple of years ago tell me that if I'd had bypass surgery, he would not be able to treat me. I'm not sure how the topic even came up, but that really freaked me out! What happens if you have an emergency and the facility you are taken to does not have a bariatric surgeon?

Same here! The hospital's support group that I am a part of is very pro-bypass, so that doesn't help! I had an ER doctor a couple of years ago tell me that if I'd had bypass surgery, he would not be able to treat me. I'm not sure how the topic even came up, but that really freaked me out! What happens if you have an emergency and the facility you are taken to does not have a bariatric surgeon?
I haven't had sleeve surgery yet. But from my understanding if you have an emergency an ER doctor can't touch you until you have contacted the surgeon to come to the hospital where you are at. Make sure you call the surgeon before leaving to Er. I've seen that my 600lb life and someone didn't call the surgeon and he was pissed. But on that show they mostly do bypass unless the doctor sees something wrong internally then sleeve is done.

Sent from my LG-D321 using the BariatricPal App

If you going to an ER at a hospital, there's someone somewhere in that hospital who can advise on your treatment...WLS is getting more common... I read somewhere the sleeve only becomes a problem if you need a tube place, the tube could possibly do damage... If the tube will make the difference between life and death, I'll pick the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App