Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you all tell me what things I should eat after surgery? When I'm able to eat solid foods. Just want to do things right and not be confused what I can eat or not to eat. I like to learn from the ones that have been through it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@saphfyre14.... Are you working with a nutritionist? Seems most here are all given different protocols for after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I met with my nut for the post op diet, my advice seems different then most others.... I don't have a 2 week liquid diet... I'll be on full liquid on discharge from the hospital

Maybe the OP had not fully connected with her NUT or her NUT wasn't as knowledgable as other members have been lucky enough to to work with. This forum is a place to share. It's a place to learn. This site can be a lifeline for those who are still struggling with the masses of info you get in this life altering experience. I admire the OP for reaching out, wanting to get it right.

I think the "do what your NUT says" response is flippant and rude. I'm a newbie but I've seen it thrown out there at times. Every time I see it I think "why?" Isn't it assumed that that's what any person who is going thorough the process does first, ask their NUT? If don't have a helpful suggestion, why even bother typing "ask your NUT?"

Hopefully a veteran poster can steer this person in the right direction to get the info she needs. I wish I could help, but I'm not to the solid stage yet. When I am I will be seeking expert info here.

Thanks to all of the posters who take their time and are so generous with their knowledge.

@jaxamon.... My concern with post like this is, medical advice should only by given by medical professional.... Post op food equates to medicine, getting is right or wrong will impact healing....from reading on here, I don't think there seems to be one standard way of eating post op, everyone seems to move to different post op stages of eating at different times... Why there is so much variety no one seems clear on..

I agree this forum is a great place for support and information... As they say it's not what you say but how you say it that counts, that's probably a good rule of thumb for comments written on the forum...

Can you all tell me what things I should eat after surgery? When I'm able to eat solid foods. Just want to do things right and not be confused what I can eat or not to eat. I like to learn from the ones that have been through it.

Definitely talk to your NUT. You should get a list for each post-op phase.

Mine were:

Week one - Clear liquids (with a couple of exceptions)

Week two - full liquids

Week three - soft foods

Week four - soft mechanical

Etc.

Initially, for Clear Liquids I was allowed:

Premier Protein (exception to clear), ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, ProtiDiet creamy chicken and Tomato basil Soups (exception to clear), bone broth, Isopure clear, Decaf tea, Herb tea, plain Water, Water with crystal light and Mio drops, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free Popsicles

Full liquids were all of the above, plus: other Protein shakes, pudding, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, v8, no sugar added apple sauce

Soft foods: all of the above plus: refried Beans, tuna, soft cheese, deli turkey, soft cooked vegetables like green Beans, etc.

Soft mechanical: soft foods that are a bit chewier (I don't remember the list).

I found it helpful for several months to keep out my approved list and consult it frequently. I didn't put anything new in my mouth without checking the list for a while until I was comfortable knowing what was allowed.

You really need to follow your program because it does vary from program to program.

The priorities are Fluid (at least 64 oz) and Protein (my target is 100 grams).

Tracking is critical (I use MyFitnessPal) to make sure I am reaching my targets.

Fluids and protein are critical for healing and weight loss. The texture is critical for healing and to avoid complications.

@jaxamon.... My concern with post like this is, medical advice should only by given by medical professional.... Post op food equates to medicine, getting is right or wrong will impact healing....from reading on here, I don't think there seems to be one standard way of eating post op, everyone seems to move to different post op stages of eating at different times... Why there is so much variety no one seems clear on..

I agree this forum is a great place for support and information... As they say it's not what you say but how you say it that counts, that's probably a good rule of thumb for comments written on the forum...

Incredibly well said. I'm sure the OP appreciates your help.

Have a great holiday weekend. :)

@@saphfyre14, welcome! This is an excellent forum and has tremendously helped me both pre op and post op. My guidelines were pretty much like Inner Surfer Girl's except the different phases were in 10 day increments. The information can be overwhelming at times, but if you follow your plan, move as soon as possible and keep in contact with your Bariatric team you will do great!

Maybe the OP had not fully connected with her NUT or her NUT wasn't as knowledgable as other members have been lucky enough to to work with. This forum is a place to share. It's a place to learn. This site can be a lifeline for those who are still struggling with the masses of info you get in this life altering experience. I admire the OP for reaching out, wanting to get it right.

I think the "do what your NUT says" response is flippant and rude. I'm a newbie but I've seen it thrown out there at times. Every time I see it I think "why?" Isn't it assumed that that's what any person who is going thorough the process does first, ask their NUT? If don't have a helpful suggestion, why even bother typing "ask your NUT?"

Hopefully a veteran poster can steer this person in the right direction to get the info she needs. I wish I could help, but I'm not to the solid stage yet. When I am I will be seeking expert info here.

Thanks to all of the posters who take their time and are so generous with their knowledge.

I feel if you are goi g through this major life changing surgery you need to do your research first. If your nutritionist didn't tell you what to eat, which to me is a huge red flag, then either get a better nutritionist or keep asking them until you get a list and you understand it. That's what the nutritionists are there for.

As previously stated, what to eat post op is medical advice which you should get feom medical professionals especially since every plan is different. I've seen some people say they were on liquid for a month and I've seen some people say they were on purees right out of the hospital sp in the end it doesn't really matter what other people ate, it matters what your surgeon and your nutritionist tell you.

I understand asking what others are eating, but you should not be asking strangers online what you should be eating

I think she was asking what people are eating once they are on full solids, you know, to get an idea of what her future will be like - doing her research like indicated above.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for your replies , I wasn't asking for medical advice I was just simply asking from expierenced sleevers of what foods they eat on a day to day basis. What foods you've tried that didn't go over well. You get the best advice from people who have been through the process. So thank you very much to those who have shared with me.