Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going to apologize first off because I know I'm going to babble and ramble on. I'm getting vertical gastric sleeve surgery on June 6th. This last Monday I started my two week liquid pre op diet. It's only Wednesday night and I'm really questioning everything.

I now realize how much of an unhealthy relationship I have with food. I love to cook and go out to new restaurants and bars and I just feel like I'm going to lose who I am in a sense after this surgery. My husband and I love to do these things together and I feel like now we're going to have to change everything we have done together since we've known each other. I know it's going to better my life and that's all I've wanted for years and years but now that it's here I am scared. Shitless.

I'm mainly scared that I'm not mentally strong enough for all of these changes in my life. Any kind of like support would be helpful here please.

I would encourage counseling. I'm going and actually pleasantly surprised at how helpful it's been. Your life will change but for the better. You will be able to do much more than sitting in a restaurant or bar. Although - you don't have to give that up either. After a few months (or sooner) - you can still enjoy going out. You'll just need to make smart choices when ordering. I sound a lot like you and I plan on still cooking, going to restaurants and bars. I just won't be eating and drinking the same way. I've already been looking at menus for good meal ideas for after surgery. It's normal to be scared. Is your husband being supportive?

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I know just how you feel--I am 6/3/16. Week one pre-op diet. Kicking my butt. I just know I have to change. We can eventually eat real food again. We just will have time to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. At least this is how I am looking at it now. I am the same -a total foodie. I have always loved to cook and try new foods. I just got my priorities out of whack. I want be able to try new foods with my son as he grows. It is new way of thinking. Change isn't always a bad thing. I agree with the above--counseling and group therapy. Probably not a bad idea. Prayers and love for success.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think in the first 3 months you will probably not be doing a lot of this.

but, I don't miss what I'm not wanting right now.

I love to cook and make new recipes, play with food basically. That is coming back. I have no desire to bake yet, but I think that will come back later.

once I got back on regular foods at a month I have found most restaurants have choices that are good for me - but I will probably have 3-4 meals out of it. So, don't worry I think other than nesting in until you are on regular foods you will be fine.

And, I think you and your husband can adapt and find things to enjoy. When I had a hysterectomy last fall I had to rest a LOT during recovery so my husband had us watching all the star trek tv shows. Whatever else you like you can find things to share.

We will be here and I can't wait to see your progress!

I'm worried about pre-op too.... I guess we just have to change our way of thinking...... Mind over matter....... Avertgirl ur having urs on my birthday, I'm sure you will do great!!!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@kimnsc That has to be good luck! Early Happy Birthday to you!!

The pending surgery has me thinking about the same thing and I realize how much of my family's life revolves around food. It's pretty sickening to think about it. I told my wife we would have to come up with other things to do besides eat. But as someone already said you will be able to do more than you could before. Eating is easy. Soon a bunch of things will be easy!

We've all been there. Especially when you're about 5 days into the all liquid diet and can't muster any thought besides "this sucks!" The most important part of the pre op diet is the last 3 days. Hint. Post op the first 3 days suck. Pure suck. Uncomfortable (not really pain), surreal, confusing. By day 5 you'll have energy and start going from shock to adjusting. Can you tell him not sugar coating it? From there is about following the liquid then soft food guidelines. I didn't get all my Protein or Water. Still don't. But I do try everyday. That's the key. 40+ grams a day, yes. Most days. Not all. And 40 grams is below target. Oh well. I was sleeved on 3/29. I'm down 48lbs and have exercised exactly twice. Ankle injury 5 days post op is healing now. 48lbs! No hunger. No exercise. And no, I'm not a poster child for doing it right. But I did have to go buy all new clothes 7 weeks post op. I do enjoy the best food because it's 3 meals for me. And I didn't tell ANYONE about surgery. My story is hypnosis and acupuncture. No joke. My office friends are amazed at how powerful hypnotherapy is . In short. Do it. Don't look back. You will still love and enjoy food. In small quantities, and you'll be full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all soooo so much for even just responding to my post. It makes me feel a lot less alone in this journey. I appreciate all the support like you wouldn't believe <3

I would encourage counseling. I'm going and actually pleasantly surprised at how helpful it's been. Your life will change but for the better. You will be able to do much more than sitting in a restaurant or bar. Although - you don't have to give that up either. After a few months (or sooner) - you can still enjoy going out. You'll just need to make smart choices when ordering. I sound a lot like you and I plan on still cooking, going to restaurants and bars. I just won't be eating and drinking the same way. I've already been looking at menus for good meal ideas for after surgery. It's normal to be scared. Is your husband being supportive?

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Yeah my husband is being very supportive, I couldn't ask for a better man by my side. He's looking at it as something that will also make him healthier and we do this together. I've though about speaking to a counceler about all of this but I wasn't sure if they'd look at me crazy because of the reasons I want to talk to them :/ I need to find someone specific to eating addictions or something like that. Thank you so much for your support :)

This freaking liquid diet has me questioning everything! I figure though once 75-80% of my stomach is removed it should be easier to follow the post op diet. I am on day 3 of the liquid diet and I feel like s***!