Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not have to do 2 weeks diet pre op?

Ok,

I'm trying hard to trust this new doctor that is coming on..... But the surgeon I originally had told me I would have to have a full liquid diet for 2 weeks pre op..... And that its dangerious not to follow the diet. In fact, if I didn't that he would know when he opened me up seeing that my liver didnt strink and wouldn't preform surgery.

Got the call I've been waiting on today to schedule surgery..... June 14th!! Yay!!!

But she said this new doctor doesn't require you having to do the liquid diet pre-op as we have to deal with a lot as it is....

So please please please tell me if any of you guys were told the same thing and if you had good or bad results..... I only want to hear from people that was told the same thing!!! Thank you!

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

The first surgeon I consulted with said no need to do the diet. He said he had never seen ant patient that had such an enlarged liver that interfered with surgery. He said it was really tough on the patient to be on pre-op liquid diet. I went for a second opinion and this doctor emphatically says I need 3 weeks all liquid diet with Protein shakes. My current weight is 275.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

1 week post op and I did NOT have a pre op diet. My surgeon said they do it to shirnken the liver to

Reduce complications but it does not significantly reduce the liver to

Make a real difference and it makes the patients under more stress so he doesn't require it. However I am on Clear liquids for 2 weeks

Post op when so many others are allowed Protein shakes etc and I'm

Still on clears. So Each surgeon really has their own way of doing things. It's kinda crazy how different each one is to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was supposed to "eat clean" as soon as my surgery date was set, but I did not due to int'l travel to places where eating fruits and vegetables wasn't safe. I did the best I could, and 48 hrs prior went on liquid only. Asked my surgeon how my liver was after surgery and he told me "you'll get another 85-90 years out of it!" (I'm 39).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I didn't have one either. Did Clear Liquids the day before and that's it. Had no problems.

I'm brand new to this group also. Surgery is set for Monday, May 9th! Yikes!!! My doctor also doesn't require liquids pre-op. I even called last week to make sure because I had read so many people did have to do liquids and I started to panic thinking I'd misunderstood and would have to reschedule. Happy to say surgery is still on!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had one day of liquids pre-op, and started at 403 pounds.

The literature from my surgery practice said to expect a two-week pre-op liquid diet, but the surgeon told me I only needed to do one week. I think it was because my BMI or weight was below a certain level.

I have to do 3 days but on my first consult they stated 4 days but I did lose 30 pounds on supervise weight lifting loss. This includes 3 shakes a day and clear liquids.... I think I can make it 84 hours before surgery... I practiced during weightloss trial

I was on clear liquids the day before surgery only--no requirement before that. Surgery went very smoothly!

My surgeon doesn't require the liquid pre op diet at all. He said it's really not that effective and all it does is put undue stress and hardship on his already struggling patients. He said that he believed in the next year (that was 6 months ago) that most practices would be phasing it out altogether. I didn't have any problem with an enlarged liver or anything and my surgery went well and was really quite painless compared to my previous gall bladder removal 13yrs before.