Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

62 having doing the sleeve on May 3rd.

Hello everyone thought I would join the group. I am 62 and dealing with the pre opt diet. There are moments that I find difficult because I am a musician and some of my work is in restaurants. Today I will be spending three hours playing a brunch gig watching people eat. I am sure I will find a way to deal with it, but I may not be easy. The good news is since the start of my pre-opt diet I have dropped more than five pounds and feel really good. I am excited and nervous by date is fast approaching. I know I am doing the right thing even at 62 years old . Thanks for your posts, good to hear what others in there sixties have to say.

Hello everyone thought I would join the group. I am 62 and dealing with the pre opt diet. There are moments that I find difficult because I am a musician and some of my work is in restaurants. Today I will be spending three hours playing a brunch gig watching people eat. I am sure I will find a way to deal with it, but I may not be easy. The good news is since the start of my pre-opt diet I have dropped more than five pounds and feel really good. I am excited and nervous by date is fast approaching. I know I am doing the right thing even at 62 years old . Thanks for your posts, good to hear what others in there sixties have to say.

Welcome. I had my surgery August 2015 and I was 62. It has been the best thing that I did for myself. Good luck with your journey.

I'm 70 -- was sleeved at age 68. Lost 100 pounds, maintaining now at 135.

You may find post-op, like I did, that others eating in front of me no longer bothers me at all. As you probably know, the sleeve surgery removes the fundus (the stretchy part of the stomach) where the hunger hormone, ghrelin, is produced. The removal of this part of your stomach / ghrelin will make a big difference in your autonomic responses to food smells and tastes.

Over time, your body may (or may not) figure out how to produce ghrelin in other parts of the body. Thus far, at 20 months post-op, my ghrelin production seems like it hasn't returned very much.

That said, when I indulge in sugar too much I feel something that is NOT physical hunger -- but is something I could easily confuse with physical hunger. It's an almost manic, compulsive feeling that I want to eat more sugar. Consequently, when I don't eat much sugar I'm just fine.

Yes, I do feel physical hunger when I've not eaten for 3-4 hours. But even those urges are not as strong as they were pre-op.

I don't know how this will change in the coming years. Others here farther out than me -- those who've been sleeved 4-5 years ago -- say that eventually you just have the same response to food and hunger that "normal-weight people who've never been fat" have. They're making these assessments based on personal comparisons of their behavior with those of normal-sized friends and acquaintances.

Good luck to you. It's only my opinion, but I think older folks have an easier time with WLS and its aftermath. We've been through a lot in life and, although life's stresses never end, we don't seem to be drawn into the drama llama weeds that some younger people struggle with.

I had surgery this past Monday, April 18th and I am 66 years old. I had a rough time during the first two days and then felt amazingly good until the two days prior to surgery. I stuck to the diet and came through surgery quite well.

The first couple of days after surgery I felt some pain but by yesterday I was driving.

Stick to the diet, you'll do fine. Good Luck.

Ette 50

I had surgery this past Monday, April 18th and I am 66 years old. I had a rough time during the first two days and then felt amazingly good until the two days prior to surgery. I stuck to the diet and came through surgery quite well.

The first couple of days after surgery I felt some pain but by yesterday I was driving.

Ette 50

Ette50

I know I am doing the right thing even at 62 years old

@@Jazzcat

hey dude

welcome to the neighborhood

we have a secret handshake and everything!!

different emotions (scared, nervous, excited) are all common

many of us have feelings change as frequently as we change our undies!! :lol:

you have another week to loose more weight

you are already down 5 lbs!!!

terrific!!!

you could pack a few things to eat for an afternoon snack when you work

ie a bit of cheese, yogurt

your doc/nut (nutritionist) will tell you when you can eat nuts, celery, carrots etc

dealing./watching others eat - good luck with that! ;)

i'm sure you will eventually find a way to "deal" with temptations/people around you!!!

i turned 58 years OLD when i was sleeved

now, 4 years PO, i am 62 years YOUNG!!!

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

. The good news is since the start of my pre-opt diet I have dropped more than five pounds and feel really good.

Oh, grasshopper.........."the feelings to come are such that you cannot yet know". I tell you as your elder...(yeah, I know, only two years older)........"you will experience momentous joy in the coming of each day and the fullfillment of a lifetime dream" -_-

Blah blah blah.......what I mean is, "what a ride you got coming". Your jaw is gonna hurt from smiling Enjoy. ;)

I am 62 also and will probably have my surgery Aug 8th tentative date. Just have my 4week nutrional classes, and then the 2 week prep. That makes me a litttle nervous about my energy level at work. I know I'll get through it also. Gook luck with your surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using the BariatricPal App

I am going to be 67 on July 4th. I had surgery on 12/30/15. I have lost 60 lbs. Weight loss has been slow due to having hypothyroidism. I am walking more, yesterday 2.5 miles. Six months ago couldn't have walked a quarter of a block. I am so glad I had the surgery. I figure I didn't put it on in a year, just glad for loss I have had.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

62 male. July 7 date for surgery. Suggestions ??? 5ft 11 280 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good luck. Make sure you have sugar free Popsicles, tea at home for after.

What suggestions did you want specifically?

After surgery I had some nausea for the first few days but was in the hospital then and they gave me something for that. When I got home I was on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks so I was weak and mostly rested and sipped fluids and tried to walk a few minutes every hour ( I did laps around our dining room table). Moving on to soft foods after 2 weeks was a relief. By 2.5 weeks I could walk a mile and tried to get a mile walk in three times daily. Went back to work after 3 weeks. I am now 8 weeks out and eating regular foods (in small amounts. Approx 3/4 cup per meal). Still having one Protein Shake daily ( I mix chocolate Protein Powder with Decaf coffee and serve on ice. Yummy).

I feel great. Though my clothes are loose since I am down 25 lbs I am still having trouble believing that this weight loss is real. After so many years of trying and failing it is difficult to accept that this is actually working. I don't have hunger but still have to work at eating slowly, chewing more and resting between bites. If I eat too fast or too much it is very uncomfortable.

My doc said should be 1 night in hospital. Does that sound right ?

How much pain should I be feeling first few days of post op ? Do you think I can handle a 5 hour ride as passenger 2 days after hospital exit ?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App