Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not able to get protein down

Help! I am two weeks post op and cannot get the shakes down anymore. I have tried several flavors and brands. I wasn't having trouble right after surgery but starting about day 6 to now it's impossible. Worried about health reprocussions that will hit me. I was advance to soft foods and cannot eat more than just a few bites so I know that I'm not getting g enough Protein from that either. Just hoping to get some ideas that you have tried.

Thanks to each of you for the sharing and support that is shared here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

When you say you cannot get them down does that mean you are vomiting them back up? Or do you literally have a blockage?

Or are they gagging you so it's more of an aversion?

I ask because I had a similar problem and had to switch from powdered shakes to ready made shakes that were milked down using lactaid.

My Bariatric team switched me to premier Protein ready made shakes. I would take one 11 oz. shake and thin it out with fairlife milk about 12 oz. then I would get the whole thing down. It gave me the 30grams of Protein from the shake plus the milk. I used fair life milk that also had a boost of protein. Once I did this, I was fine. But my issue was not a blockage.

I still cannot do the powder protein. I gag.

When you say you cannot get them down does that mean you are vomiting them back up? Or do you literally have a blockage?

Or are they gagging you so it's more of an aversion?

I ask because I had a similar problem and had to switch from powdered shakes to ready made shakes that were milked down using lactaid.

My Bariatric team switched me to Premier Protein ready made shakes. I would take one 11 oz. shake and thin it out with fairlife milk about 12 oz. then I would get the whole thing down. It gave me the 30grams of protein from the shake plus the milk. I used fair life milk that also had a boost of protein. Once I did this, I was fine. But my issue was not a blockage.

I still cannot do the powder protein. I gag.

It's not a blockage for sure. It is just the taste and thought of drinking it. I have tried the sweet ones, unflavored with. Crystal light and chicken Soup flavors in several brands. I have tried the premier also. I used the premier shakes for months before surgery and really liked them.

Thank you for your response. I will try that suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Protein is critically important after RNY gastric bypass surgery. In the beginning normally this is in the form of Protein shakes. I hated almost all forms of Protein Shakes after surgery. But I drank them even though I hated them. You don't need to love them, you just need to tolerate them for awhile. I found that if I blended in a half a banana into the Protein shake it tasted better. I used Muscle Milk Light (vanilla creme) Protein Powder blended with Water.

Also if you can tolerate milk, you can add some Protein to your diet that way and also meet part of your daily Fluid requirements.

When you get to around the 6 month mark, you will be able to begin using Protein Bars. I found Quest bars to be rather good.

The protein shakes requirement does not last forever. As your meal volume increases, if you concentrate on eating high protein meals, you will be able to begin to drop off the protein shakes. I went from 3 protein shakes a day, down to 2, down to one and finally I completely went off the protein shakes when my meal volume limit became 1 cup at 1 1/2 years post-op. [Your daily protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein from supplements combined with the protein from meals.]

Hey!!! Have you tried the "SAVORY" route? Specifically, add whey to a Soup?

First, my fave whey powder is the BIOCHEM brand. Not as "chalky." I recommend you TRY this brand -- "natural" flavor -- and mix half a scoop into a half-cup of some savory boxed ready-to-eat soup. If it works, do WHOLE scoop the next time!

FYI: My fave flavor boxes ready-to-eat soup "Tomato with Roasted Red Pepper." Yum. Warm JUST soup in microwave (or on stovetop)... but then stir-in the whey with wire whisk (or blender).

(((( Do NOT put the whey in soup and THEN microwave!!!! ))))

If you heat soup in a microwave with whey already in it? The soup will "cook" into a kind of doughy consistency; overflow from mug or bowl. MIC JUST THE SOUP first... Experiment with fave Soups. There are squash Soups, split pea soups, etc. Perhaps using a soup will satiate you and satisfy your savory craving -- rather than all the "kid" flavors of chocolate, vanilla, berry, etc! Just a nice little 1/2 cup or so of SOUP!

Two more things...

1) Be sure to shake any whey container back-and-forth several times. This is the ideal way a scoop is meant to be taken out of the canister. ("Looser" consistency -- it's less dense; compacted.)

2) Also: you're using a blender, ninja, Nutri-Bullet or Vitamix, right? Or just a plastic shaker? Using a blender helps tremendously...but we all gotta use a hand shaker when you're on-the-go.

Finally...I too, am a fan of the PREMIER ready-to-drink shakes. (costco has best price point.) I fortify these with the Quest brand Peanut-butter flavor, put in blender and it's like a super-creamy consistency! Holy cow! Tastes pretty YUMMY. The total grams rises from Premier's standard of 30g Protein... to 53g when you add a whey scoop. Voila! You're almost at the day's minimum requirement of 60g Protein.

GOOD LUCK!!

I have mixed 1/2 scoop of powder with Greek yogurt (I love Dannon light ,& For Greek strawberry Cheesecake with 1/2 scoop vanilla powder) or sugar free chocolate pudding snack with 1/2 scoop of chocolate powder).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Hey! Greek Yogurt.... That reminds me...

Say...you MAY have some "probiotics" issues following your surgery that could contribute to the gassiness?

Me: I entered the hospital with "dry" urine. In getting my weight down pre-op, I chose a product that had a diuretic property to it. Bad idea. This likely could've been the reason a "cloudy" urine. I'd learn later I had so-called "dry" urine. But... cloudy looking urine could mean an infection in my urinary tract, so as a safeguard, my doc put me on an antibiotic the afternoon of my morning surgery. Hmm. I wonder how much of my G.I.'s "good" bacteria got wiped out by doing that. Weak G.I.'s bacteria COULD be the contributing reason for me being SUPER gassy. (No pain. Just flatulence.) ALSO --

Greek Yogurt + Vanilla Whey Powder + Jello sugar-free Cheesecake pudding mix?

MAGNIFICENT!!!

I can eat this sooooo slowly with a baby food spoon... and get my Protein AND hopefully encouraging good bacteria in my G.I. again!

I'm so glad to read this thread. I am so tired of the Protein drinks, powders and shakes and I'm only 1-week post-op. I have to psych myself up just to make myself swallow it. I'm grossed out by the artificial ingredients, the foaminess of some, the texture of others... I know it's a necessity, but it's a struggle already and the only thing I'm hung up on.

I move to a mushy-consistency phase tomorrow and am praising the lord for Greek yogurt and higher-protein Soup choices.

I'm 4 weeks post op and I struggle daily to get one Protein drink in! I've tried 20 or so different kinds. Most are the smell that gets me! Some make my mouth numb and I won't drink them. Premier chocolate no cold I can do some days other days I settle for 1/2 a Protein Bar. It is a daily struggle for me and I've wasted a ton of $$.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm 4 weeks post op and I struggle daily to get one Protein drink in! I've tried 20 or so different kinds. Most are the smell that gets me! Some make my mouth numb and I won't drink them. Premier chocolate no cold I can do some days other days I settle for 1/2 a Protein Bar. It is a daily struggle for me and I've wasted a ton of $$.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Have you tried Syntrax nectar Water based juice Protein drinks. They're the only ones I can tolerate even pre op

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App