Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brachioplasty and Breast Lift

I'm tentatively scheduled for 4/21 for these surgeries. I was just wondering what everyone's down time was. How long do I need to plan on someone to be able to assist in day to day activities, etc? Thanks in advance.

Your surgeon should be able to give you guidelines.

I had lifting restrictions for I think 4 weeks and I think restrictions about arms over my head for a short period of time too.

for me, the lower body lift was the big deal, the arms and breasts werent too bad, but I wanted to be careful to not mess up results. The LBL restrictions were more like 6 weeks for me so I don't remember the arms/breast specifically.

Protect those arm scars from sunlight - my surgeon said for 2 years!

Down time for those surgeries is minimal. The main thing will be your lifting restrictions, which will probably be in the 4 week range? You should be up and moving and doing normal tasks pretty fast. You'll be able to bathe yourself and brush your teeth and all that good stuff pretty much right away. Just take it a little wasy on the heavier household chores and get someone to help you with loading and unloading groceries from your car.

You are physically capable of taking care of yourself as soon as you are home from surgery. I had both of these procedures separately combined with other surgeries and for two of them I had someone drop me off at home after the surgery and I was just fine. Like the others said, avoid lifting stuff- you use your pectoral muscles for more than you think you do. Put everything you might need on your countertops so you don't have to be reaching over your head to get things. Both of these surgeries have minimal downtime, as long as you aren't doing any major activity. If you're just shuffling around your house or at a desk job, after the first few days when you're on pain drugs, the rest of the time you just feel cranky and sore.

As a fun note, when I had my brachioplasty I read a trick about keeping your arms compressed. The compression arm top didn't work well, however if you keep your arms wrapped in ace bandages, you can take a little girl's pair of tights, cut off the feet, cut down the middle of the tights to separate each leg, and then slide this over the bandages up to your shoulders. This not only keeps the compression tight, but it minimizes that velcro scratchy thing on ace bandages from annoying you and from the bandages themselves from chafing against your sides everytime you move. Also, it keeps the bandages from sliding down your arms, which was also annoying.

And, instead of using the surgical bra, which is itchy and uncomfortable, go to Wal-mart and get the blue snap-up the front ones. They are $8 for two pair and they were exponentially more comfortable than the stupid surgical ones I bought. I still wear them now at home because they are really comfy.

Thanks everyone. Yes CowgirlJane, my dr will give me this information, but I wanted first hand knowledge of women who have actually had it themselves, since I know he hasn't. Lol.

Thankfully I have a very sweet and caring husband who is going to take at least a week off (well actually he's going to work from home) in case I need anything. I was thinking 4 weeks on weight restrictions was a good estimate. I'm excited to have this done and get rid of my wings and saggy boobs! Lol

You are physically capable of taking care of yourself as soon as you are home from surgery. I had both of these procedures separately combined with other surgeries and for two of them I had someone drop me off at home after the surgery and I was just fine. Like the others said, avoid lifting stuff- you use your pectoral muscles for more than you think you do. Put everything you might need on your countertops so you don't have to be reaching over your head to get things. Both of these surgeries have minimal downtime, as long as you aren't doing any major activity. If you're just shuffling around your house or at a desk job, after the first few days when you're on pain drugs, the rest of the time you just feel cranky and sore.

As a fun note, when I had my brachioplasty I read a trick about keeping your arms compressed. The compression arm top didn't work well, however if you keep your arms wrapped in ace bandages, you can take a little girl's pair of tights, cut off the feet, cut down the middle of the tights to separate each leg, and then slide this over the bandages up to your shoulders. This not only keeps the compression tight, but it minimizes that velcro scratchy thing on ace bandages from annoying you and from the bandages themselves from chafing against your sides everytime you move. Also, it keeps the bandages from sliding down your arms, which was also annoying.

And, instead of using the surgical bra, which is itchy and uncomfortable, go to Wal-mart and get the blue snap-up the front ones. They are $8 for two pair and they were exponentially more comfortable than the stupid surgical ones I bought. I still wear them now at home because they are really comfy.

Thanks for the suggestions. My surgeon is requiring Contourmd compression garments.

I wouldn't forego a surgical bra for the sake of comfort. They are definitely uncomfortable and the fact you have to wear it 24/7 sucks soooooo bad, but they are critical for proper healing of the pocket and making sure your boobs drop and fluff the way they are supposed to. I would definitely run it by your surgeon if you want to try something else.

I wouldn't forego a surgical bra for the sake of comfort. They are definitely uncomfortable and the fact you have to wear it 24/7 sucks soooooo bad, but they are critical for proper healing of the pocket and making sure your boobs drop and fluff the way they are supposed to. I would definitely run it by your surgeon if you want to try something else.

Thanks! I am definitely not going to forgo what he is telling me for comfort! I have followed everything and done everything that I was suppose to before/during/after my sleeve surgery and I'm not going to stop now! Lol

I had a compression garment that was bra and arms together. I assume everyone did.... my arms were not sore -I felt very protected in the garments. I whined and complained about them, but then I didn't want to stop wearing them...haha...they had become my security.

The arm lift for me was the hardest decision. I was totally freaked out about the scarring. However, the arm lift made a big difference in my overall appearance! I am top heavy anyway and the extra skin made my arms look big even under clothes -just added bulk. The scars are so faint nobody notices and I am SOOO glad i did that procedure!

I am very happy for you!!!

I had a compression garment that was bra and arms together. I assume everyone did.... my arms were not sore -I felt very protected in the garments. I whined and complained about them, but then I didn't want to stop wearing them...haha...they had become my security.

That is exactly how I felt - I also had a bra with sleeves as had arms and boobs done in same op - The garments were my suit of armour - And I didn't wanna stop wearing them - Like it was only them holding me together - LOL

I had both of these procedures done together in December. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday without any trouble at all. I could have went back sooner, but was off for the holiday, so it worked out well. I was instructed not to lift my arms over my head for three weeks and I think my lifting restriction was 10 pounds, but I can't remember for sure. I wore my surgical bra for two days (because it was too big), then transitioned to a very snug sports bra and wore that 24/7 for at least a month. Every once in a while I would not wear a bra at night and it just felt odd, it was like my protection. It's just been the last couple weeks that I have not worn anything at night and feel okay with that. I wore ace bandages on my arms for the first week and that was it, per surgeons instructions. I still have not tried sleeping on my stomach, which is actually better for my back, so I am okay with that. Best of luck to you.

Edited to add; my husband helped me in the shower and getting my shirt on for the first 2-3 days. Not un-doable on your own, but it was very helpful. You also will find that so many things are up high and out of reach after your surgery, things you don't think about on a daily basis (in the cupboards, etc.).

Edited by Spiceyfrog

Oh! @@Spiceyfrog reminded me that it's a good idea to stock up on loose button up shirts. Much easier for dressing than anything you have to pull over your head!

Thanks for all he input and suggestions! The garment I have to get are separate. A bra and then sleeves. I should probably get the lower body lift done first because I know I will lose more skin/fat, but my arms and boobs are what really bother me. I won't wear short sleeves and with it getting summer and living in the Houston, TX area, it will be hot and humid and long sleeves are not going to cut it!