Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins after surgery

I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery on 2/26. How soon can I start taking the required Vitamins? My nutritionist said wait two weeks after surgery, but that seems kind of long to wait in my opinion.

Edited by Jasb88

I didn't start Vitamins until after surgery.

However, prior to surgery, my doctor gave me a few Vitamin samples to I try to see which taste I preferred.

I've noticed that the Vitamins do seem to burn a little ...

I just can't seem to understand when to do what. SO. I too was told I can take anything I did before upon discharge, just no NSAIDS. But really, the past two days I did buy the Calcium citrate and I also used a fizzy 1000mg Vitamin C and I just think it's too soon. (? I'm 12 days post op now and got a good barium swallow test)

Maybe I wasn't told to use this soon, more answers would be greatly appreciated. Because now I am paranoid I am giving myself acid reflux after hospital release.

I'm having my mom help me go over it again.

Edited by Amelie2016

I started taking Vitamins three weeks before surgery out of choice and I wanted to get into the habit of remembering to take them.

My surgeon had me start taking my Vitamins during my 2 week surgery prep diet. He said we do not get enough nutrients during this phase and It helped. I started taking them again 3 days PO. They are chewable.

;)

I've noticed that the Vitamins do seem to burn a little ...

I just can't seem to understand when to do what. SO. I too was told I can take anything I did before upon discharge, just no NSAIDS. But really, the past two days I did buy the calcium citrate and I also used a fizzy 1000mg Vitamin C and I just think it's too soon. (? I'm 12 days post op now and got a good barium swallow test)

Maybe I wasn't told to use this soon, more answers would be greatly appreciated. Because now I am paranoid I am giving myself acid reflux after hospital release.

I'm having my mom help me go over it again.

You shouldn't be taking anything fizzy ..this could be the cause of the burn. Your stomach can't handle it.

i was on the B12 dissolved under the tongue before the procedure and then back on that one after going home. then had to start the multi Vitamin and the b1 at the start of the 3rd week after sleeve.

My doctor said the reason they don't have you take them the first 2 weeks is because people are struggling with getting fluids in and some are struggling with nausea. If you are not struggling, you can take them sooner.

I started mine the day I came home.

I also started mine as soon as I got home. I have the Bariatric Advantage (god what a long name) Innovations Advanced Multie EA.

*whew*

And I let it sort of dissolve in my mouth, it takes like one of those old fashioned candy bracelets to me, so I love them.

I got a B injection last week. But I want my own B (Complex-Lipotropic) vial at home *angry face* I am not afraid to inject myself, when we used to use injectable B Complex Lipotropics, we lost weight more easily than when we did not use them. And we felt a tad more energetic.

Edited by Amelie2016

I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery on 2/26. How soon can I start taking the required Vitamins? My nutritionist said wait two weeks after surgery, but that seems kind of long to wait in my opinion.

I think that was when I started taking vitamins. You will get so many vitamins in your IV at the hospital, you should be good to go for a while.

Thank you all for your replies!!

I think that was when I started taking Vitamins. You will get so many vitamins in your IV at the hospital, you should be good to go for a while.

I got jipped! I asked what was in my IV bag and they told me only saline solution. Grrrr. I asked if I could have "nutrients" and the nurses said no, essentially, that I didn't "need" them. >.>

Edited by Amelie2016