Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sigh.. The stall kills

Before my surgery I was 439 and then I went on liquid 2 week diet dropped to 419...So I had my surgery on Dec 31st and was at 419.. Then I was down to 398.. And now I've stalled for 3 weeks now. I've also had a hard time pooping. So I take a daily Fiber powder in my Water.. I check today and I've gained just about 3 lbs. my doc says don't worry it's normal.. I walk about 5 miles a day for exercise through out the day.. I drink about 70 oz of water.. Nothing else. I eat about 800 to 1100 calories as I was told. The only thing I can't eat until next week is white breads and Pasta.. And nuts.

Sigh okay done crying. I know I know it happens.. I've read tons of posts here.

So.. Okay. I'm done.

Stalls totally suck. They mess with your mind for sure. I waver up and down in a 2 pound range for several weeks at a time and just want to scream sometimes.

Take your measurements (simple ones like waist, upper arms, chest, neck) as you might see more results when the scale doesn't move. A pound of fat is way bigger than a pound of muscle, and with your exercise and calorie intake, you are probably dropping fat and building muscle.

I'd avoid eating bread and Pasta if at all possible even if they do officially clear you to eat all food. My doc highly discouraged eating both of those ever again. One you start adding bread/pasta back in, you start craving them more too. I very rarely have either any more. We get a double fiber whole wheat bread if I'm dying for a sandwich, but mostly I do low carb tortilla wraps to get the bread experience. Pasta is also rare, and whole wheat as well when it does happen, but I have a more difficult time with it (craving more) so I pretty much don't eat pasta at all much at this point.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Thanks for the reassuring words FrankiesGirl. Not worried about Pasta or bread -- just mentioned those things in case someone was curious. I don't plan on eating them for now.

Today I ending my day with 1200 calories.. 80g Protein... My fitness pal was showing I burned 1500 calories from close to 5 miles of waking (around 11000 steps) -- which I do realize is not 100% correct, and steps are off a bit in sure with a Fitbit even with it on dominant wrist.

Thanks. I realize all that, but these forums are here for people who need that quick reassurance or a place to talk when the face to face or in person group isn't meeting at the exact moment.

Are you using My Fitness Pal or something similar to track? Any chance you are eating too many carbs? I had my surgery 11/26/15 and have a hard time eating over 700 calories. Today I have eaten 635 calories and have had 89g Protein. So if you have a 1200 calorie day and only 80g Protein, you are maybe getting too many carbs and fat? Just a thought. I humbly admit I am no expert.

Are you using My Fitness Pal or something similar to track? Any chance you are eating too many carbs? I had my surgery 11/26/15 and have a hard time eating over 700 calories. Today I have eaten 635 calories and have had 89g Protein. So if you have a 1200 calorie day and only 80g protein, you are maybe getting too many carbs and fat? Just a thought. I humbly admit I am no expert.

Hmm I will have to look. Thanks for the idea!

I was a 12/22 surgery, all I can say is yes this sucks. Also I have been taking Senna-S and was told not to expect anything but every few days.

Fiber powder made all my Constipation issues worse when I was early out. The only real way to get thing moving is to really increase your Water. Also there is no shame in a stool softener.

1200 calories is a lot of calories to just get 80 grams of Protein. I can easily get 90 grams of Protein for less than 800 calories, plus my carbs and fat. If you aren't losing as fast as you want, try to your protein to carbs be 3 to 1.

I've found that my weight loss does correlate not just with calories.....but the types of calories.

I know at some level this is counterintuitive, yet it has proven true with me.

Early in my return to eating real foods I was challenged by my surgeon to experiment. I could eat 1,000 calories per day of the Lean Cousine style meals and stay at a standstill........or, I could eat 1,000 calories per day of chicken and tuna and minimal carbs. Doing the latter showed near immediate improvement on the scale.

YMMV.

I keep it low carbs and have no real complaints.

When I had My First Stall I cried. I thought I was doing something wrong.

I've found that my weight loss does correlate not just with calories.....but the types of calories.

I know at some level this is counterintuitive, yet it has proven true with me.

Early in my return to eating real foods I was challenged by my surgeon to experiment. I could eat 1,000 calories per day of the Lean Cousine style meals and stay at a standstill........or, I could eat 1,000 calories per day of chicken and tuna and minimal carbs. Doing the latter showed near immediate improvement on the scale.

YMMV.

I keep it low carbs and have no real complaints.

Thanks for the advice. I may do this, I've always enjoyed a low carb diet, but not as restrictive as say Atkins, but keeping it under 50 carbs..

I am going to up my Protein and suck down more Water.. Keep carbs to a low level.

I hit a stall for about 3 weeks beginning about 5 weeks after surgery. I'm hoping I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. It makes me question everything. I know everyone says it's normal. But damn! So hard not to second guess or get down on myself in the middle of it.

I have such a bad track record for giving up on weight loss efforts in the past when I hit one of these - I want to find a way to stay positive and on track.

So hard though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wwboy. I hear you. I am past 3 weeks and I skipped my weigh in on 4th week.. I am waiting to next Wednesday. My surgeon suggested I weigh myself on weds.. She said it's a better judge.

Yeah stalls do indeed kill, but we can resurrect ourselves from that grave! Haha Good for acknowledging how you feel. I had my first a few weeks ago and I know more are going to happen. Although it is hard I try to just focus on what I have lost so far. There is less of you than there was before, right? Can I get an amen on that?! lol I do not fully understand why stalls happen, but you are pressing on so that the stall does not become your permanent. That is also good. I read that sometimes there is a stall at week eight I might be in the same boat as you soon.