Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a secret and need advice - for the ladies

So almost 6 months out and honestly love life. I look good, I feel good and honestly things are a lot easier these days... however... When I started to lose the weight I noticed 2 lumps in my right breast. I went to the doctor right away and had a mammogram and ultrasound with plenty of blood work. At the time my doctor didn't feel that the lumps were cancerous but wanted them out anyway. She also asked me if I had ever thought of having a breast reduction (which I had) and sent me to a plastic surgeon for a consult. They would do the surgery together. One time under the knife was good for me. We planned on having the surgery about 1 year out from my WLS because they needed my weight to stabilize first.

I went in for a follow up last week and we discovered 2 new lumps in the other breast. Again, all tests look good but my doctor wants them out now vs. later. I am about 30 pounds away from my goal weight. I know I need to have this surgery and we are doing the reduction and lift at the same time as taking the lumps out.. but... If I continue to lose weight will my breasts be lopsided? I've heard horror stories where women will gain or lose more than 20 pounds after a breast reduction and their breasts will not look right.

Ok, I'm not completely vain here. I know that I have to have this surgery. I was just wondering if anyone else has has this situation or gained or lost over 20 pounds after this type of procedure.

Thanks!!

I had a breast reduction 20 years ago. I've lost 100 lbs since last April. They look fine! ????

Your life matters much more than the way your boobies look, or your weight. God bless!

I bet after surgery you will be closer to your goal, and will look great regardless.

Get the lumps out, take the reduction now. If you have issues later, cross that bridge when you get to it. You can always have a revision and/or implants.

I had a fibroadenoma in one of my breasts, which is a benign lump and since it was monitored with an ultrasound every year there wasn't a need to have it removed. I had a breast lift and augment when I was still 24 pounds from goal during which time they removed my extra lump (and it was still totally benign). Generally the rule is that if you are within 15% of goal you are fine to start with plastics. My goal was 129 and I weighed 153 on the morning of my first plastics procedure. By the time I hit my second procedure I was at like 142-ish (maybe 137- don't remember) I think and my last procedure I went in at 134. I have maintained between 129 my goal and 132 since last April, except for a brief spike where I gained about 5 pounds and had to lose it again. My boobs and stomach were my first surgery and despite having at one point weighed 126, so almost 28 pounds beneath my pre-plastics weight, they still look exactly how they should.

Losing an additional 30 pounds should not substantially impact your results, however your surgeon will also be able to give you more info.