Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 7 - Hating Protein Shakes & Worried about Future Food..

I am on Day 7 - Physically, I am doing so well, I don't even feel the need to nap!

However, emotionally I am struggling.

I am on my liquid diet, I am not enjoying anything I can have so have no appetite but I am seriously hungry albeit maybe head hungry! What makes matters worse is that I absolutely HATE Protein Shakes. I have now tried 6 different flavors and hate them all. I just spend the day DREADING having to drink them. Right now I can't see myself ever liking them :(

Anyone find any interesting alternatives?

I guess the liquid and puree diet is going to be hard but it also has me worrying about the future. How hard is it going to be to stick to all of this? I am cravings all the old junk food and feeling like I just can't wait to eat it again - is this normal?

I received a post op diet guide but don't have ongoing NUT support (although I am trying to find someone with bariatric specific experience which isnt easy). I just still feel so unprepared for the future - anyone willing to share their post-op diet guidelines?

So many mixed emotions, it is very tough :(

I was so done with the shakes by the time I was back to solid foods too. You just have to tough it out, as it really is your only way of getting Protein in until you are cleared for solids. Once you are back on solids, you can find ways of getting more Protein through real food and switch to Protein Bars (just be SUPER careful to get low car/low sugar bars and watch out for the saturated fat). Meeting your protein goals is imperative forever, especially in this beginning stretch. Even if you hate it, you have to put on your big girl panties and suck it up.

As for your head hunger and craving all those old foods, this time, more than any, should prove to you that those cravings are all in your head and have nothing to do with physical hunger. There is NO WAY your stomach could handle those things right now and yet you still want them. This is a really good time time evaluate those feelings and think about how you might ultimately change your relationship with food. Though, I will admit, that during some of those moments for me immediately post-op I did just straight up lie to myself to quiet those thoughts sometimes. I would tell myself, "you'll have that in a few months" knowing that I probably really wouldn't.

Breaking that emotional connection to food was a major challenge for me in the early weeks and months, but I did eventually manage it, and I am sure you will be able to as well.

BariatricFoodie.com has lots of recipes, for all phases I think. There are all sorts of tricks to make Protein shakes taste better and also reviews of new Protein powders. I am still working through the pre-surgery requirements but I ordered some Protein Drink mixes from AmBari on the basis of a bariatricfoodie.com review. They are definitely better than tolerable - no chalky or grainy texture. If you only add 4 ounces of Water it makes a pudding like consistency, 8 ounces - milk like consistency (not thick at all).

I second the bariatric foodie.com. I actually enjoy shakes now! On the liquid stage I drank a lot of milk because i couldn't drink anymore Protein Shakes I was getting sick from them.

My hospital has the post op instructions online for anyone to access the hospital is Gbmc in Baltimore md

Those Protein shakes are a right of passage to re-inventing yourself. i found all of the pre-made store-bought ones to be disgusting, but I get along quite well with the Syntrax Nectars because they come in so many flavors. You can even mix them with Crystal Lite Lemonade instead of dairy milk or almond milk.

My favorite right now is the chocolate mint. Oddly enough I like the grapefruit flavor, because mixed with the lemonade, it tastes like Fresca soda.

You can get those and other bariatric groceries at www://bariatricchoice.com and www://my bariatricpantry.com.

If it makes you feel better, I have had less than 10 Protein shakes in the last 29 months. Past the first week or two post-op, I never drank Protein Shakes again. I went through a brief phase where I would blend almond milk, frozen greek yogurt, PB2, and Protein powder, which is really good and has a ton of Protein, but I got tired of washing the blender everyday, lol. You will be back to eating normal foods again and as someone who has maintained at goal weight for 10 months now, I can say you really don't need to drink Protein Shakes to be successful past the point where you can have normal food again.

I am not a fan of Protein Shakes but I was given a sample of Syntha6 chocolate Peanut Butter cookie flavor. I just tried it this evening and oh boy it's like drinking a milkshake. No lie its yummy. It has more carbs than I would like but at 12g I'll deal with it. I blended it with ice and almond milk. I am thrilled to finally find a Protein Shake that I like. Good luck

I remember HATING THE SWEET!!!!. I got sooo sick of all of everything being sweet on top of sweet. I got so I would gag whenever I had to swallow another sweet drink.

I called my surgeon and ask him if he thought an idea I had would be detrimental to me. He chuckled and said that if I could pass it by the NUT. , if was perfectly OK with him.

The Nutritionist also giggled, but approved.

So, here was the plan:

Three times a week I took:

1 Tomato

1 cuke

some parsley

a wee bit of balsamic vinegar

a wee bit of olive oil

I put it all into the blender until smooth and silky.

HEAVEN!!!!! ABSOLUTE HEAVEN!!!!

I swear that non-sweet treat was the reason I was able to get through the liquid stage. I just needed a break a couple of times a week from cloyingly sweet.

I would never recommend that anyone do this on your own. I called and discussed my "dilemma" before I went ahead with my "salad shake".

--just an idea.

@@Valentina, I love it! Gazpacho, or the postop equivalent thereof! I suppose you could sneak some unflavored Protein Powder in there as well.

@@Valentina, I love it! Gazpacho, or the postop equivalent thereof! I suppose you could sneak some unflavored Protein powder in there as well.

I assume that was the case, otherwise what is the point of it?

The OP was icked out by everything being sweet. A palate-cleanser, if you will.

@@Valentina, I love it! Gazpacho, or the postop equivalent thereof! I suppose you could sneak some unflavored Protein powder in there as well.

I assume that was the case, otherwise what is the point of it?

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback and advice! :)

I am feeling much better today and I have decided to take @@JamieLogical advice and put my big girl panties on! This is officially my new mantra!

"..... Even if you hate it, you have to put on your big girl panties and suck it up....."

And these words from @@AvaFern definitely makes me feel better - roll on week 5!

If it makes you feel better, I have had less than 10 Protein shakes in the last 29 months. .."

The search will go on for a Protein shake I enjoy!

I hate Protein shakes too. I've just started to experiment with them, and this is what I've learned.

1. GENEPRO Protein Powder is unflavored. It does have that whey Protein smell, but it doesn't change the taste, consistency, or texture of what you put it in. I've put it in plain milk, stirred with a fork, and it just tasted like milk. I had a friend taste it, and she agreed with me. This morning I made a fake Starbucks hot chocolate with 2 T cocoa, 2-3 T Torani sugar free Syrup, a dash of salt, 1.5 c 1% milk, and 2 tsp GENEPRO. Add the protein powder AFTER heating. Tasted just like hot chocolate, and the whey protein smell kind of blends in with the milk smell. I'm going to try it in Soups and broths too. Genepro has 30 g of protein for only 1 T, so it takes half the powder than most Protein drinks. It's not a Meal Replacement though--there's no Vitamins and minerals. I believe powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is a similar protein powder.

2. Get the book Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Drinks. It's cheap and has lots of good ideas. She talks about how to get different textures and tastes depending on your food preferences. She also has good ideas for flavorings (Torani sugar free syrups; fat-free sugar-free dry pudding mixes).

3. If you are past the Clear liquids stage, try this super shake idea: 1 veg, 1 fruit, unflavored Greek protein yogurt, and liquid. For the veg, Kale or spinach adds the least amount of flavor. I usually use frozen berries, peaches, or mango. I use Water, but milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc would work too. Sometimes I'll add parsley or cilantro, but I've heard mint and ginger are good too. I might also add a small amount of fat such as Peanut Butter, nuts, or avacado. You can also add liquid vitamins, or other nutritive supplements. If I'm using fresh fruit, I'll add ice. If you use berries, it won't be very sweet, so some people might want to add a little Splenda, or apple, or carrot. If you need more protein, you can add a small amount of protein powder like Genepro without ruining the taste.

4. Juicing: I've learned to love juicing. Watery vegetables work the best, including cucumbers and celery. You can get some liquid out of kale and spinach, but not much. I haven't tried cabbage, but that might work. Regardless of the vegetables, I always add an apple for sweetness and ginger for kick. I've heard asparagus is to be avoided, because the flavor is too strong. You can add something like Genepro for protein; I haven't tried this one yet, but I have high hopes for it.

5. Do you like fish? I love salmon, so I'll be experimenting soon with salmon spread recipes. It doesn't work for the liquid phase, but it should be fine for the soft foods phase.

6. Bone broth: This is broth made with bones and other ingredients, cooked for 24 hrs or so, long enough to leach minerals out of the bones. Try making it yourself with celery, carrots, onions, and bay leaf. You can also buy it online. I've heard it tastes much much better than regular broth or stock usually available at stores, and is healthier too: lots of nutrition in there, including protein. Add a little protein powder like Genepro. (I haven't tried this one yet either.)

7. I've heard good things about Fit Frappe Protein Drinks, although they are a little high on carbs. You can mix it half and half with a zero carb protein powder. I've also heard good things about Syntrax Nectar: they have a lot of fruit flavors rather than the normal chocolate and vanilla.

Good luck! I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm also worried about the abundance of Protein Shakes. Most of them are so gross and way, way too sweet.

Edited by careya123

You are EARLY in the process. All I can tell you is that right now, you need to be treating everything you intake as if it is part of your prescription diet. Because it IS. It may be months before things taste normal again. Until then you need to nourish your body in spite of it. You don't take your supplements because they taste like Skittles, you take them because this is what you signed up for to get healthy. It's the same with your Protein supplements. Right now, do your best to get down whatever the prescribed amount is.

Now, that said, there IS hope if you don't fancy shakes, (me either). Once you can take solids, there are lots of products to help you get your Protein in if you can't get it all from whole foods. I can't achieve the number I should without at least one supplement per day and I'm more than 2 years out! I do a Protein Bar, protein muffin, protein bread, protein Pasta, protein hot chocolate or latte... Something to give me about a 20g boost at least once per day. Sometimes it's in a product I purchase, sometimes I make my own Protein Bars using whey protein as a component. Point is, it's rare that I ever do a "shake", but I do supplement.

Other simple swaps like spinach for lettuce, greek yogurt for regular, Fairlife milk for regular (you can do that one now on liquids) can all help get you there.

Hang in there! Work your plan like the prescription that is is and you'll get there!