Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Fernando Garcia or David Vazquez?

I am scheduled to have my gastric sleeve procedure on 2/29....I am so excited! My best friend did her procedure in Mexico with another dr. My family and coworkers are very concerned about me going to mexico for the procedure. I am in the medical field, and two of the MDs I work for are very skeptical. I found very little about Dr. Vazquez, who is the one who will actually do the surgery. Anyone have any experience with those Drs?

Sorry I can't help you with your specific surgeon, but I will say that you likely have very little to worry about with traveling to Mexico for surgery in general. As long as you are going to a reputable surgeon and have done your research, you should be fine. The level of care that is available in Mexico is outstanding. I've been there twice for surgery and had wonderful experiences both time. The care I received far surpassed what I would have received in the US.

I'm scheduled with dr Garcia this Friday.

I don't get on here very much anymore but my YouTube handle is KC VSG and I will be posting updates about my experience there if you would like to watch. Also feel free to make a list of questions and I will try to answer as many as I can for you.

Hi - I had surgery with Dr. Garcia in January. I was nervous because I couldn't find a lot of recent feedback on him, but I had a great experience. I'd definitely recommend him.

Good, i guess we are in the same boat. I couldn't find anything really, good or bad. Im glad to hear you had a good experience! His partner, Dr Vazquez is actually doing mine, but I'm sure they're both good, since they work together. How are you doing now? How are you feeling?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

@@spammie2002 I'm doing well! I was really groggy the day of the surgery due to the effects of the anesthetic, but after that it's been mostly smooth sailing. I didn't have any gas pain and just a little bit of soreness at the incision site (I had SILS).

The hospital is pretty nice but it is small. You'll get to know the people who have surgery on the same day as you because there's really just the one hallway to walk in.

Good luck!

@@spammie2002 I'm doing well! I was really groggy the day of the surgery due to the effects of the anesthetic, but after that it's been mostly smooth sailing. I didn't have any gas pain and just a little bit of soreness at the incision site (I had SILS).

The hospital is pretty nice but it is small. You'll get to know the people who have surgery on the same day as you because there's really just the one hallway to walk in.

Good luck!

Im so glad you're doing well! I fly out sunday, 2/28, surgery is Monday 2/29! I started my pre op diet monday. Its hard. Im starving! Lol. But i know it is worth it!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dr. Garcia performed my surgery on August 18, and I had a very positive experience. I felt very well taken care of the entire time, and had less pain and discomfort than expected. The room I had was more spacious and comfortable than Cedars Sinai in Beverly Hills, and the staff was more attentive. Dr. Vazquez didn't perform my surgery but did check in on me often. He was very kind, as was Dr. Garcia. 

I couldn't find much information about Dr. Garcia, either. I did find recent reviews on RealSelf and some other forums, and I contacted a few of his patients. They were all very pleased. 

Here's a few of the links I'd bookmarked over the summer:

https://www.realself.com/review/tijuana-mx-sleeve-gastrectomy-37yo-gastric-sleeve-lost-60lbs-in-1-2-months#

https://www.realself.com/review/tijuana-mexico-sleeve-gastrectomy-gastric-sleeve-dr-garcia-sooner

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/221157-calling-all-dr-garcia-patients/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/5309892/Who-did-the-VSG-with-Dr-Fernando-Garcia-in-Tijuana-Could/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153015677842099&set=pb.516067098.-2207520000.1439278844.&type=3&theater

I've lost about 50 pounds since the surgery six months ago, which for me is a substantial amount because my BMI was lower. I'd consulted with several local surgeons (who quoted me $29,000 to $35,000 which I would have paid for out of pocket since my BMI wasn't high enough for insurance to pick up any of the costs vs. $4200 for the surgery and hotel stay) and they told me the ideal would be for me to lose around 50 pounds by this point, so my results would have been the same. My only regret was in not getting the single incision surgery because my scars are more noticeable on my fair skin. They did heal quickly but they are still bright red. I hoped they would fade much more than they have. The reason I didn't go for it was because I thought the single incision was more experimental, when in actuality it is fairly established. For $1000 more it would have been worth not having the scars. This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, though.