Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a very LOW metabolism- but, I want the sleeve...help!

Hi all-

I've been doing A TON of research and reading a lot of these forums. I've read encouraging and discouraging stories...

I'm in the beginning stages of getting approved for bariatric surgery. Based on what I've learned so far, I believe I want the sleeve.

Although I've never been diagnosed with anything officially, I know I already have a low metabolism issue. I'm maintaining 271 lbs on about 12,00-14,00 calories daily. I've tracked this, and I know my standard diet...its very frustrating when people think I'm in some kind of denial.

TRUST me- its not easy and I dont eat 80% of the food that I want to- because I KNOW I'll gain weight...

Many people have stated they have the same issue- and theyve had success...but many of those stories are from 2010 or so-

Others have also made statements like the sleeve wont be successful for me...its all confusing and causing me to have doubts.

Anyone with a similar issue whos recently had the sleeve- maybe in the last 6-12 months?

I guess I'm just very fearful that I'd go thru this, and it wouldnt be restrictive enough.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I don't know a whole lot about this but I THINK that for me the Sleeve is helping me boost my metabolism by:

1) making it possible for me to exercise regularly; and

2) teaching me to eat in a way that elevates my metabolism rather than depresses it.

I truly believe that many of our pre-surgery dieting habits are what have wrecked our metabolisms. (Eating infrequently, eating the wrong foods, not being able to move and be active, etc.)

For me, the sleeve has been the only way I have been able to lose any weight in years.

I am still early in the process (I was sleeved April 20, 2015) and have a long way to go, but I am thrilled with my experience and results so far.

Yep! I have always had a low metabolism. For my height (5'7) I can maintain eating 1,500 calories and I lose when I eat 800-1,200. I have always been overweight and I'm now 4 lbs away from having a BMI of 25!

My restriction is great. At 14 months out I can eat about a cup of food and that is plenty. I'm still trying to lose 8 lbs. so I'll be 5 lbs. below my goal weight.

The most important part of surgery is following the rules your surgeon gives you (Protein first, don't drink with meals, etc.)

I thought the same thing until I started meeting with my NUT and realized it was what i was eating. I was skipping meals and eating too fast. I've learned so much from the NUT and I realized that two different meals can have the same calories but the fat content, sodium, Fiber, etc also have a lot to do with weight loss and health.

I forgot to day that dietary education is a very important part of the journey. I am notcing my triggers and foods that I absolutely need to avoid (I am addicted to cheese crackers, lol)

I thought the same thing until I started meeting with my NUT and realized it was what i was eating. I was skipping meals and eating too fast. I've learned so much from the NUT and I realized that two different meals can have the same calories but the fat content, sodium, fiber, etc also have a lot to do with weight loss and health.

Very true! 400 calories worth of meat and veggies vs 400 calories worth of cake are very different.

I forgot to day that dietary education is a very important part of the journey. I am notcing my triggers and foods that I absolutely need to avoid (I am addicted to cheese crackers, lol)

I had to write down my trigger foods and 100% avoid them or it leads to a slippery slope downhill. CheezeIts are one. Doughnuts are another.

I can't speak from much experience because I haven't been through surgery yet but I feel like the sleeve can be used as a reset button and tool so that we can apply all we have learned about changing our lifestyle.

I can't speak from much experience because I haven't been through surgery yet but I feel like the sleeve can be used as a reset button and tool so that we can apply all we have learned about changing our lifestyle.

Well, surgery yet or not, I think you're a smart cookie.

That's certainly the way WLS (the sleeve) has worked for me. It is SOOOO much easier to be active and to exercise when I weigh nearly 100 pounds less than I did a year and a half ago. It is SOOOO much easier to make good food choices when I feel good and look good and am actually to able to go to the bloody grocery store to shop (100 pounds ago I was bloody nearly agoraphobic).

In short, all my self-care behaviors are in full bloom now, compared to what I was able to do for myself when I was obese and exhausted and in pain.

Good luck to you. :)

I understand where you are coming from. I was a sz 18. I went to Jazzercise 4 times a week religiously. I ate so low carb that I was in ketosis for weeks at a time and confirmed this by using a blood meter every other morning. I tried so hard to lose weight that it was ridiculous. In one year I took off 27 pounds. While hard core dieting and cheating rarely. Then I had the sleeve 1 month ago today. As of this morning I am down 25 pounds. Whoa! 25 pounds! What took me a year to do before. Go get the sleeve, you won't regret it.

Edited by Missy407

@@ejirish your story sounds like I could have written. I even read it out loud to my husband.

My pre op weight was 271. I was consistently eating around 1,200- 1,400 calories a day too!! I also ate mostly healthy foods. During my six months waiting period I began to make some small changes. I cut out all sodas, began to walk as much as I could tolerate. A month before my pre op diet I cut out all sugars/carbs. I was eating around 1,200 calories of high Protein lots of veggies and no sugars. Didn't lose a pound. I was like "what the heck".

During my two week liquid diet I stuck to it faithfully and only lost 4 pounds. I had two friends having their surgery the same time as me and they both lost almost 20 during their two week pre op diet. I remember telling my family I was so worried it would not work for me.

I decided to go ahead and have it done because I felt it was my last option as I had tried everything else.

Had surgery and did great, recovery typical and no complications. Stuck to my post op plan perfectly. The first week or so I didn't have much loss which is normal due to the fluids from surgery.

Then, surprise surprise... My weight began to drop steadily. I am down to 145 pounds and feel great. It actually works!!! I have been in maintenance since around March (for about 8 months). I still require a lot less calories than most. If I keep my calorie count around 1,000-1,100 a day I can maintain easily. If I go back up to eating consistently 1,200-1,400 a day I will begin to creep up. The difference now is that it is so easy to eat around 1,000-1,100 calories a day and be satisfied. If I drop back to around 700 I will start dropping again.

So the point of that long winded post was to say- YES this can work for you. One of the best things that worked for me was a tracked everything I ate and then I was able to look at my calorie count, protein intake and carb intake and was able to determine what amounts worked for weight loss and what amounts I needed to maintain.

Good luck to you- it will work as long as you stick to it and you will be strutting your new healthy skinny self!!

I have hypothyroid (one of the many symptoms is a sloooow metabolism). I did what many here posted. I ate low calorie & worked out but nothing happened. The most I ever lost was 10#!!! To say I was frustrated is an understatement. In comes my hero, my cardiologist. He recommended looking into the sleeve.

My bariatric team suggested a metabolism test (I didn't even know one existed) turns out if I eat under 1400 calories, I should lose weight.

I had the sleeve over a year ago. I'm still not at my personal goal weight but currently wear a size 10. I'm super active & more social then I've been in a long time. I have no doubt I'll get to goal (a size 8) , it's just taking longer than most.

Your bariatric team should do a thorough exam & help you decide the best option for you. Whatever WLS you choose, I wish you success.

Oh I love cheese crackers! Please don't tell me I can't indulge every now and then?

So, who's the psychic genius who thinks they can tell who bariatric surgery will work and who it won't? I had very slow metabolism, too...and lost slowly..but I am losing and now in sight of my goal. Keep up hope and follow doctor's orders.

Your metabolism doesn't seem all that low. 1200 calories seems to be a very common number that many post-WLS patients need to stay at after reaching goal. (Some higher and some lower, of course) And just remember, if that's what it takes for you to maintain 271 pounds, you'll probably have to eat even less once you are at goal. It takes a lot less energy (calories) to maintain 150-170 than 271.

Hopefully with VSG, and by following all the dietary and lifestyle changes, it should be easier to stick with those lower calorie requirements than it is now. But in the end it's all on you, not your sleeve. I'm only 2 years out but if I relied on my sleeve to control my portions I would certainly regain. Long term success depend on the new habits, coping mechanisms and choices you develop, not your sleeve restriction.