Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine after gastric sleeve

Why are you wanting to take it?

I have no energy, and I have not been losing much weight. I actually gained three pds in two days. I don't know why either. I am drinking nothing but Water and eating hardly nothing. When I am eating it's a little at a time and healthy. Phentermine will give me the energy I need.

So will eating more and eating healthy.

How far out are you? Are you getting in at least 60-80g Protein, 64oz or more of Water, eating veggies? Fruits? Healthy carbs? Taking all your Vitamin supplements? Have you had bloodwork done?

Too few calories, unbalanced nutrition and Vitamin deficiencies will all result in low energy and slow/no weight loss. If you aren't doing these things, you should make them your priority. This is what you will need for long term sucess. Chemical stimulants are not the answer and I would hope no ethical, responsible doctor would prescribe them in your circumstances..

I agree with @Kindle.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids every day, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed and exercise.

If you are unsure about your program, or unhappy with your progress, make an appointment with your NUT and/or surgeon.

I have no energy, and I have not been losing much weight. I actually gained three pds in two days. I don't know why either. I am drinking nothing but Water and eating hardly nothing. When I am eating it's a little at a time and healthy. Phentermine will give me the energy I need.

It will also put your heart at risk. 3lbs is well within bounce range. I would recommend calling your nutritionist and reviewing what you re eating. You may not be eating enough, you may need more carbs, you may need to increase your Protein. Have you had your bloodwork checked recently? You may be missing a vital nutrient. How far along are you?

I haven't eaten more than a few nibbles in two days and was up 4 lbs. this morning. If I get back to eating Protein drinking my Water my weight will start going down again.

Getting healthy and losing weight after WLS is a long-term game that requires patience.

If you aren't able to commit to eating nutritious foods in the right amounts your body needs to heal from surgery, to lose weight, and to become healthier (because hardly any of us were in very good shape to begin with), you're probably not going to like the overall results you get.

And you're not going to feel fantastic just a few weeks post-op. It takes a while to recover from surgery. You will recover and regain your energy by eating healthy food that nourishes your body.

IMHO, taking diet pills to lose weight and "get your energy back" after WLS is sort of like using methamphetamine to recover from the blues of going through alcohol withdrawal. Yeah, it'll pep you up ;) but it won't heal you at all.

I realize that analogy may not be perfect, so feel free to improve upon it.

I don't think it would be safe at any time, let alone after sleeve surgery. You didn't gain the weight overnight and it won't come off overnight. You can gain 3 pounds from Water retention. The Water retention can be the result of too much salt, not getting enough fluids that day, or a hundred other things. I'm 5 weeks out and still fighting a flagging energy level. I'm still healing and my body is in shock from the surgery and the drastic caloric intake. Give yourself a break and get off the scale.

Phentermine is speed and many of us tried that before WLS. One of the reasons I chose the sleeve is so I did not get addicted to speed and or pills. Since you essentially have to stay on them for the rest of your life. I read a story of a woman who stopped her phentermine when she got pregnant and gained over 100 lbs with her pregnancy. That's when I realized that pills were not the way for me. Are you also exercising? I'm not sure how far out you are but you can start with walking up to 30 minutes a day, and then when your doctor approves that go to 1 hour a day and add more exercise according to a schedule that your doctor approves. Many recommend going back to basics and starting the Liquid Protein diet over again for up to 5 days (see 5 day pouch test) if we start gaining weight again. Most importantly talk to your doctor, talk to your nutritionist, talk to a therapist, and seek support both here on BP, from your local WLS support group, and/or from Overeaters Anonymous meetings near you. These are all good sources of support. And when we try to do this all on our own sometimes we get in our own way. Please get the support that you need.

Has any one ever took phentermine after sleeve and if so how far out wad you?

You are going to get a lot of negative feedback about weight loss medication here. I don't know the specifics about phentmerine but my surgeons office was very clear from the start that studies are showing that some medications are extremely useful in long-term maintenance and even achieving goal for some wls patients. There does come a time that it becomes harder and harder to maintain your goal as your body fights to regain weight. Also as a revision patient my nutritionist said it might be harder to reach goal. There seems to be a symbiotic relationship between wls and some medications and that the medications are more effective. I have been losing steadily, but if I stopped losing I wouldn't hesitate to do anything possible to avoid regain. I wouldn't use meds to speed up my loss as long as I am moving downwards.

@@Bndtoslv ... you say you "don't know the specifics about phentermine."

I have taken it before. It's a pretty awful drug.

You can learn about it here: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/phentermine-side-effects.html

I've taken it too. I meant I didn't know about sleeve with phentmerine. I hope I wasn't unclear. I just meant that weight loss medication might be a realistic future for some of us. I sure hope not. Anything to avoid regain.

but if I stopped losing I wouldn't hesitate to do anything possible to avoid regain. .

Cocaine works great for this! Pretty much has the same appetite suppressant, CNS and cardiac effects as phentermine, so why not?!

I can't BELIEVE your nut actually recommends using drugs to lose weight....guess it makes her job pretty easy.