Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Thanksgiving with the sleeve

First I just want to say a very happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I truly enjoy and depend on reading how everyone is doing and answering questions to help when I can. This is my first Thanksgiving with the sleeve. I really did not worry much about the dinner, which we have not yet had, as I am not afraid of straying, but perhaps eating too much. I was always an overeater. Now I stop when I am full, and I plan on enjoying as much of that turkey as I can, as that is my favorite part anyway. Hope everyone enjoys the day, and I am truly thankful for my sleeve.

I just got done. Over a year out and still can't finish my baby plate! Amazing! Before and after....I'm stuffed!

post-237766-0-16933500-1448573456_thumb.jpeg

post-237766-0-55899000-1448573655_thumb.jpeg

6 weeks post op... Slightly bummed that I could not eat the delicious yeast rolls or pig out on moms stuffing... But I am okay. Managed 1 bite of casserole and a tiny bit of turkey.. Stuffed. In my throat stuffed.

How awkward was it to be sitting at the dinner table and everyone stops to stare when mom asks "your full already!?!" Bleh.. Lol

This is my first year sleeved thanksgiving and it was without a doubt.. The strangest????

I have a huge family and our Thanksgiving consists of 100 or more people. As usual there was enough food to feed a small army and three large tables of deserts. I had ham, and turkey and green Beans. I got full and stopped. After my 30 mins I indulged myself and had a cup of coffee with 1 Peanut Butter cookie. It's the first desert of any kind I have had in the five months since my surgery. I had planned to have something sweet. I love peanut butter and coffee so it was a perfect treat! All of my family asked what I did to lose weight and I told them I had the gastric sleeve and not even one negative comment. Everyone was super supportive and very encouraging.

I'm almost 5 1/2 months out. I cooked dinner for my husband's family, as usual. I promised that I wouldn't make any weird "diet" food. :P

I had a Protein shake for Breakfast instead of my normal oatmeal since I knew I'd be eating more carbs than usual, and I had a light Babybel cheese and 1/2 oz of mixed nuts around 11:30 (we ate dinner at 2). My husband and I took our dogs for a walk while the turkey was roasting to get some exercise in before dinner.

At dinner, I measured out 2 oz. of turkey breast, put some gravy on it, and had a little dab (1-1.5 TB or so) of green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, brussels sprouts with bacon, and stuffing, and a 1/4 slice of jellied cranberry sauce. I ate most of my turkey, most of the green Beans, and less of the rest. For dessert, I had a small bit off a piece of Dutch apple pie, and a tiny bit of flourless chocolate cake.

Definitely much more decadent than my typical meals! My stomach responded by imitating whale mating calls for the next hour or so. Like, really loudly. :blink: Glad it was just family! I didn't feel sick or pass gas or anything... my stomach/guts were just really noisy.

Now I'm having a little dish of my homemade pumpkin Protein Greek yogurt with a few crushed dark chocolate and salted caramel almonds.

Edited by lauraellen80

I loved being able to cook without sampling everything as I went. I got a small spoonful of everything and still shared my plate with my 18 month grandson and no one really commented on my eating and the way I have lost my weight(surgery).

I loved talking more than eating!!! My biggest accomplishment of the day, WEARING A SIZE LARGE YOGA PANTS!!!! I have not worn a size Large since middle school(about 25 years ago)!!!!!!

Thanksgiving wasn't as hard as I thought. And in reading the posts, seems we've all done a really good job today!! Our dinner was traditional, for us...turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce,... and I forgot the rolls! lol.. I had some turkey, and a bite or two of the green bean casserole and stuffing, and a piece of sweet potato. Didn't feel deprived, don't eat bread anyway anymore(stuffing was first time with the bread, other than a piece of toast once), and I felt great. I've gone from a size 22 to an 18 since the surgery 9/21/15, and I'm pushing to be in the 100's by 12/31.

Thanksgiving went well for me today. I had about a tablespoon and a half of stuffing doused in my gravy, a bite of mashed potatoes and gravy, and about two ounces of turkey. I was sad to miss out on my homemade cornbread and pies, but I didn't have a turkey coma like everyone else. I also went back to the fridge in the hours since dinner and grabbed more turkey to snack on. My sister (jokingly) warned me not to eat all the turkey when she saw me raiding the fridge a while ago. A fast reminder that SHE ate more than all the turkey I've eaten today combined at dinner AND I was making a good choice with turkey rather than eating stuffing or pie with ice cream. She shut up quickly and praised me for making good choices. LOL.

I am about 8&1/2 weeks out. On my plate I had 2oz turkey breast, a teaspoon of mashed potatoes and a teaspoon of Mac n cheese, and one spinach puffed pastry and did not eat it all because I stopped when I was satisfied. I too was glad that I did not end up stuffed and miserable like several others at dinner. It was so good to feel in control today.

6 months post op on thanksgiving. Just enjoyed everything just a small bite at a time to get all the flavors.

SW 320. CW 290

post-244766-14486228964292_thumb.jpg

I took what my girls refer to as a "Brownie Bite" (a Girl Scout camp thing) of everything that interested me. Started with the meat and worked my way to carbs. This way I only needed a small bite or two of stuffing to be satisfied. Took my time and it wasn't too bad. Yes I was full, did I miss the meal...debatable. Glad I didn't overindulge? Yes!