Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my band too tight?

I went to eat today. I ordered roasted chicken and sauteed veggies. It came with a side salad. Nothing i ate agreed with my band. BUT mysteriously....a slice of pizza went down without any problems! Grrrrrrr! This happens more often than I'm willing to admit. Anyhow, we receny moved and I'm looking for a new dr to manage my care. Any kind thoughts or suggestions??

Hi Susan,

I have to say I still have trouble with chicken sometimes.... (I'm banded 8 1/2 yrs) But I can eat steak pretty easily. Which totally surprised me when I was first banded. It's been suggested because chicken is fibrous?? But I don't know.

Best to check with the Doctor. I did make mine too tight (stupidly when I wanted to lose the weight fast). I couldn't even get Water down at one point and found out it is really dangerous.

What you can and can't eat will change over time. I don't have any fill anymore but I still have a bit of restriction and I'm so happy. I actually forget that I have a band a lot. When I was in the process of losing weight I did have to pay attention to the variances that occurred when I would fly on a plane, exercise, and/or the foods I ate.

Re: Doctor suggestion

I found all of my doctors on this site (bariatric, plastic surgeon, etc). It's a great resource.

Maybe start a new thread and title it something like

"Llooking for new doctor. I just moved to ???, any suggestions on a bariatric or lapband Doctor I can switch to?"

Something like that. If someone does have a suggestion they may not click this thread open if they don't have any ideas on a tight band.

Plus you can look up doctors on here as well.

Best of luck

JosieK

Thanks!!

Peoiple are all over on this....everyone is different....

I don't eat pizza,(globs of melted cheeses, plus the bread dough) I don't eat red meat....and that's just a few...anything made from flour so breads, rolls, do-nuts, etc, are oiut.

chicken...has to be tender, and I've found most chickem when eating out is not...

Your band is working, which is good considering all the people who complain otherwise.

What you need to do is find your lifestyle...you're groove, then watch all the weight magically and easily start to fall away.

Or you can get Fluid taken out and eat anything and everything you want, and rely on old diets again.....some people prefer that also.

Figuring out what my sliders are was important for me. It's the chewing and swallowing that trigger the signal for satiety. I add mix-ins to my yogurt for this reason (chia seeds, a few nuts, a little gluten-free Cereal, etc.) -- otherwise it would just go right down. cheese is also a slider for me unless I have it with something that I can really chew. I'll have a few apple slices or GF crackers sometimes or a rice cake, etc. with the cheese. I could never do pizza, though it sounds like that may be a slider food for you. We are all different. And yes, chicken seems to be a problem for many. I cook thighs over a long period of time or pound tenders to tenderize them thoroughly and I use a lot of stock to cook chicken down. I never order it in a restaurant but usually choose a filet mignon or tenderloin instead (I'm worth it!) or fish, etc. Good luck to you as you get your groove -- great way of putting that B-52. It definitely is a lifestyle thing. Find yourself a doctor to work with -- that's really important. Best wishes!

I get stuck on certain foods. I just had trouble last night with browned ground beef. I can't eat pork roast or chops anymore. chicken breast is dicey.

I can eat anything deep fried, which is a slider for me and stopped me losing weight. I am working hard to eliminate fried food this month. Popeye's chicken tenders were a lunch staple and I sure miss them.

My band is probably optimally filled right now. So from here out it's all about the choices.

Sliders for me are salads and popcorn and Italian bread dipped in oil. And my downfall, Thai rice noodles.

I can get stuck on a sandwich (bread) but not always. Eliminating the carbs and staying away from my sliders is what I need to drop this last fifty pounds.

We are all so different and we all have the same WLS . I like hearing what works for some. Things change a bit for me occasionally, which makes it a bit harder to plan.

chicken thighs cooked in liquid seem to be my go to food for the past year or so

Some rice occasionally seems ok. And a sweet potato was a surprise this last week. It all stayed down.

Of course I try to still go slow and chew and don't drink w/ meals.... But I still get surprised with a STOP now and then... Gotta lose the food ...pressure is too much.

Just reminds me....Compliance....

The band is Queen

Ps steak,pork, Pasta. Sometimes chicken breast. A big NO from the queen

I'm getting my lap band on Tuesday. I was wondering. I'm able to make very moist chicken by poaching it. I wonder if that would help.

My experience is (and Dr's advice) if I can drink fluids, I'm not too tight. Maybe that will change as I am banded longer

I'd say if you can eat pizza (I couldn't, nor want to) you're not too tight

I agree with others. chicken can be difficult at times... I can really only eat it in the evening, when I'm looser.

My Doc has been banded 20 years and chicken is difficult for him. No big deal, plenty of other choices