Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Oregon members that had VSG in Mexico?

Hey all,

I am looking into going to Mexico to get the VSG. I am wondering if there are any Oregon members here that had it done in Mexico. I had an apt with my primary care doctor and she told me not to do it. She said she is treating several patients that had it done in Mexico. She stated that they are not doing well. I don’t know if she was trying to scare me...I don’t know if these people did their research and went to good doctors.

I was so excited now I am just questioning everything. Finding a doctor is becoming hard. Once I have my mind set on one, I read another forum and find other Doctors that sound better. It was such a hurdle talking my family into this. Now I feel like I am in a battle with my Doctor to prove that I can find a great Doctor in Mexico. Being that she is treating others that have it done in Mexico, I do not think she will drop me as a patient.

I just want approval you know?

I am from Canada. I have talked to my doctor about going to Mexico for surgery. She is against it. There are a couple of patients at the clinic that have gone to Mexico some were OK but one woman has to use a feeding tube. I think it is very important to research everything you can. Talk to other patients. It's very hard because I think a lot of people on weight loss forums are patient Cordinator's and of course they're not going to say anything bad. I have my surgery scheduled for the end of February in Puerto Vallarta. I am excited but very nervous. I have researched for over a year and I feel comfortable in my decision. Good luck to you!

I am also in Oregon! I am in a similar situation. I have made this decision to go to Mexico for surgery and talked every one into it. Now I don't know how to pick the right doctor. Help!

I am right there with you every time I think I know what doctor I want to use I find another one that sounds even better. I just can't decide.

Hello everyone,

I invite you to join or Facebook groups. There you can contact several BP patients that have had their surgery done in Mexico. You can ask them about their experience here in Tijuana and about the quality of the services provided by BP surgeons.

BariatricPal Surgery Deals Group

Dr. Carlos Altamirano Support Group

Dr. Jesus Martin Lopez Dominguez Dominguez

Dr. Francisco Zavalza BariatricPal Support Group
Dr. jaime Ponce de leon Support Group

If you have any questions or wish to have a free consultation with one of our surgeons, please contact me.

I'm in Oregon and my PCP is against it and gave me the same spiel. She keeps telling me she is treating several botched surgeries. However, I call bs because she doesn't seem to know very much about it and only has negative things to say. I'm planning on going with my tax refund in the spring.

In my early research I called OHSU, the bariatric coordinator there was very helpful. She said they will always treat people in an emergency and they rarely have any emergencies out of Mexico. She did name one surgeon to avoid and said to be diligent in my research.

I joined as many support groups as I could find until I narrowed it down to my surgeon.

Hi CKKC,

You are doing the right thing. RESEARCH!

There are no complications in 99% of surgeries and most post-op complications occurred because patients did not follow their doctors indications after surgery.

Our patients keep in touch with their doctors for months after surgery, even to ask, what they consider, dumb questions. But our surgeons are alway willing to help them out.

Hello,

I am from OR and had a vsg in Mexico as a self-pay patient in May 2014. I am still doing very well. The sleeve still prevents me from overeating and magically controls hunger as well as limits my sweet intake (i get reactive low blood sugar when I eat anything too sweet now and it is bad enough to avoid most times). I do not regret my surgery and in fact wish I had done it sooner. I run now, can do yoga poses easily and am enjoying the freedom of life-long Portion Control. I am still 12 pounds from my original goal, mainly because I stopped low-carb dieting and can eat more than when I first had surgery, but I love my figure and my energy level and am taking my time reaching my goal. I wear between size 4-6 dress/tops/pants and may just maintain here as I feel really good.

Research the right doctor for you. I am sorry to say the brilliant surgeon I went to tragically died in a plane crash about a month after I left his hospital. His team was fantastic, so I imagine they are still working and operating at Almater Hospital. Check into them. There was another surgeon I considered in Texas, named Dr. Guillermo Alvarez, I only ended up going with the one I did based on timing. Be prepared to pay at least $12,000 for the procedure, stay and aftercare, but it is worth it. It's still more reasonable than self-pay in the US. I would make sure you are in a clean hospital NOT A CLINIC for the procedure and that there is an actual medical team and nurses there for aftercare.

I had mandatory counseling before the surgery in Mexico, which was important for maintaining, I had solid pre-op tests run as well as solid post-op tests. My only complaint was my doctor refused to give opiates so my pain was not well managed and I ended up in the ER when I got home for pain control. The US ER docs were shocked that a doctor in Mexico didn't provide pain meds. I was shocked as well. So, be sure to have someone with you to advocate for pain management. Other than that, I healed quickly and now it is a distant memory.

Good luck, you will do well, just be prepared to pay over $10K for a good surgeon, do your research, reach out to people who used the surgeon you are selecting and make sure it is in a clean hospital. There are no short cuts or dollar savings worth your health and life.

I live very close to the WA/OR border. When I spoke to my doctor, I asked her only if she thought the surgery was a good idea for me. I didn't tell her Mexico. She said she thought VGS was a good idea.

I did a LOOOOOOT of research and chose A Lighter Me with Dr. Elias Ortiz. He is certified on the American Board of Surgeons and the chief of bariatric surgery in Mi Doctor Hospital. I had surgery on Oct 22, 2015 and would recommend A Lighter Me and Dr Ortiz in a heart beat. The hospital was clean, the staff was great, and the follow up care is wonderful. I made the decision to go with ALM when I found their Facebook page and followed it for a few months.

After surgery I had an appointment with my primary doctor and brought a copy of my pre op EKG, blood work, and a video of my leak test. She was so impressed. She doesn't have another bariatric patient my size or one who had the VSG so she is very excited to be a part of my journey. I'm now down 44 pounds since I started pre op and she is thrilled.

Edited by Yaberhoo

I feel everyone's experience is different. My sister had a gastric plication done across the boarder in Mexico on 11/06/15 after a 1 night stay was released from the clinic. She was heavily sedated but as soon as the anesthesia wore out she started having uncontrollable pain, nausea and vomiting end ended up in the ER with a hole in her stomach and a severe infection. Since then She's had two surgeries and is still waiting for her stomach to heal in order to have a 3rd one. Can't drink or eat anything, has a tube coming out her nose, a feeding tube, a pic line going straight to her heart and 2 drains and we still don't know if her gastric plication surgery will limit her food intake as it was originally intended. Hopefully she gets well enough to be released and go back home soon. I will suggest if you are going to get your surgery in Mexico have a back up plan In case you have complications (dr.'s care and money wise).

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that happened to her, prayers for her speedy recovery! I don't know very much about plication, but this just sounds so terrible.

Can I ask who her surgeon was?

I am from Oregon, and planning on going to Mexico this March. I am leaning towards Dr. Elias Ortiz, but still not 100% decided, but he seems to have a decent reputation online, and I REALLY liked his coordinators, they have been amazing in helping me decide...of course that is because my budget is a little too tight to afford some of the more well known surgeons.

Yaberhoo, I would love to talk to you more about your experience.

If anyone else is going down there from Oregon around the same time, let me know!

I just got back from Tj. Sleeved by Dr Quinones. Great experience!

They have a Facebook page. Look for alighterme and join the close group. They're are lots of people who go and post pics and talk about their experience as they are there. Very helpful answering questions and being supportive too.