Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll for those at least 6 months PostOp

Hi, I have done a fair amount of research at this point and see that the benefits of a Sleeve Gastrectomy can be great, but this is not a trivial change in lifestyle, there are risks and downsides, and of course it's not reversible. I am at the edge looking over the cliff now, have gone to the required patient info session at a local hospital where I would get the procedure.

I know everyone's experience can be different, so I just wanted to do a simple poll: If you are at least 6 months post-op, please tell me three things:

- How long ago was your procedure?

- What was your starting BMI and what is it now?

- if you could magically go back in time and revisit your decision, would you still get the sleeve procedure?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Barry

Hi, I have done a fair amount of research at this point and see that the benefits of a Sleeve Gastrectomy can be great, but this is not a trivial change in lifestyle, there are risks and downsides, and of course it's not reversible. I am at the edge looking over the cliff now, have gone to the required patient info session at a local hospital where I would get the procedure.

I know everyone's experience can be different, so I just wanted to do a simple poll: If you are at least 6 months post-op, please tell me three things:

- if you could magically go back in time and revisit your decision, would you still get the sleeve procedure?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Barry

How long ago was your procedure?

A little over 13 months. Surgery date was 9/1/14.

What was your starting BMI and what is it now?

Starting BMI was 42. Surgery date BMI was 38. Current BMI is 26.

if you could magically go back in time and revisit your decision, would you still get the sleeve procedure?

Absolutely!!!! I reached my goal weight right at my one year mark. I've been "maintaining" for the past month, though I've actually lost a couple more pounds. I feel and look great! The first few weeks were REALLY rough. The first few months took some serious mental/emotional adjustment. But now I am happy and healthy and feel completely "normal"! I've fully adapted to my new ways of eating and my new activity level.

Hey there-

- How long ago was your procedure? Feb 2015. I am almost 8 months post-op now.

- What was your starting BMI and what is it now? Starting BMI was 46 and now I am 29 (I think)

- if you could magically go back in time and revisit your decision, would you still get the sleeve procedure Absolutely - no doubt.

My procedure was 14 months ago.

My starting BMI was 36.

My current BMI is 22

I have no regrets and am so happy with my decision. Have my health and my life back.

13 months post op. 8/22/14

Starting BMI 40. Currently 24.

I would get the sleeve again IN A SECOND. Honestly one of the best decisions I've made in my 48 years of life.

Ten months ago, only thing I would change is getting it done years ago. Seriously what is not to love about being able to fit in airplane seats, cut my own toenails, run, climb mountains with the kids, not have your car sag to one side, and not having the mattress groan when you get in bed. No more blood pressure medicine, no more cpap. I don't do BMI's, I was 40% body fat when I started, now its 22%.

Not quite 13 mths ago

Started at a whopping 73 BMI

In a years time I have lost over 100lbs (109.2 to be exact)

Current BMI is 54

I feel great! I was fortunate to have a completely pain free and uncomplicated surgical process and recovery. I was up and walking in recovery. Had no issues with nausea, gas or vomiting. I haven't had any issues with food. Didn't need pain meds once I woke up in recovery. Thankfully my doctor prescribes colace and a PPI from day 1 so no issues with Constipation. I would do this again in a heartbeat. I love my program and feel supported and charged to forge ahead this next year and get down to a normal BMI

3 years out

Start BMI 47

Current BMI 26

Only thing I would do differently is have it done years earlier!

Sleeved Dec 2014

Starting BMI 49

Current BMI 32

Not bad for a short (5' 0") old broad (63) ☺️. I did it for health reasons and would do it again in a heartbeat! Completely smooth surgery and recovery.

How long ago was your procedure?

Almost 11 months ago.

What was your starting BMI and what is it now?

Starting BMI was 45. Current BMI is 28.2.

If you could magically go back in time and revisit your decision, would you still get the sleeve procedure?

Absolutely. Seriously, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I've had no complications except for Constipation. I can deal with that.

I don't do BMI's, I was 40% body fat when I started, now its 22%.

Good point! I don't know what my starting body fat percentage was, but it was 48.2% the day of my surgery and is now 23%.

As others have said above, it is such a life changing experience. I hope that if you move forward with it that you have the wonderful experiences that we all have had. Sure its hard, but we don't expect it to be a quick fix.

- How long ago was your procedure? I will be 6 months post op next week

- What was your starting BMI and what is it now? My starting BMI was 53.6 and now it is 38.8

- if you could magically go back in time and revisit your decision, would you still get the sleeve procedure? 100%. This was the best decision that I ever made for myself. It gave me a new found passion for life, energy to do it all and I am open to new experiences more than ever before.

Good luck!

Thanks people, for sharing your experience. I don't expect this to be any picnic, especially at first. Besides reading some abstract statistics regarding nutritional deficiencies and other post-op issues, I have seen the descriptions of discomfort and angst right in this forum from our members. This too is helpful, because it gives me realistic expectations about experiencing some "bumps in the road". I did notice though that these posts relating troubles and misgivings come largely from people in the first 3 months post-operation.

That's why I wanted to hear from people at least 6 months past the procedure. It's really the long run issues balanced against the long run benefits that I would like to base my decision on. And based on what I have read here, I will be taking next steps. I am around 40 BMI now, so on the edge of the eligibility criteria. But I have tried and failed with lifestyle changes several times and I am only getting heavier, so I hope that I get accepted for this procedure by the insurance company and the hospital. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

I had VSG surgery August 18, 2014. That's 14 months ago.

Pre-op I was 235.6 pounds / 39.2 BMI.

Today I'm 140 pounds / 23.3 BMI.

Hell, yes, I would do this surgery again.

And for the record, I haven't kvetched and moaned about anything. It's been a great experience for me in every single way.

Thanks people, for sharing your experience. I don't expect this to be any picnic, especially at first. Besides reading some abstract statistics regarding nutritional deficiencies and other post-op issues, I have seen the descriptions of discomfort and angst right in this forum from our members. This too is helpful, because it gives me realistic expectations about experiencing some "bumps in the road". I did notice though that these posts relating troubles and misgivings come largely from people in the first 3 months post-operation.

That's why I wanted to hear from people at least 6 months past the procedure. It's really the long run issues balanced against the long run benefits that I would like to base my decision on. And based on what I have read here, I will be taking next steps. I am around 40 BMI now, so on the edge of the eligibility criteria. But I have tried and failed with lifestyle changes several times and I am only getting heavier, so I hope that I get accepted for this procedure by the insurance company and the hospital. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Great thread idea.

I've got to say.......as a guy about to have sleeve surgery it fills me with confidence to read through this thread and see the success everyone has had.

As you make your decisions, take into account the nutritional savvy of those that haven't lost significant weight. I see an alarming number of posts that indicate there is a lack of basic nutrition understanding. It's scary, too. Folks are having surgery without an inkling of how to proceed afterwards.

Good luck. I think you are going about things in a very smart way.