Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! My name's Elizabeth, I'm 24 years old. Growing up I was always tall and lanky...but when I turned 19-ish, a combination of stress/boredom eating (as a college student), along with daily medications I was prescribed (for mental illness), I started gaining weight----FAST. For the past two/three years I've bounced around diets. I must have started and stopped Weight Watchers half a dozen times. I tried a Slim Fast diet, and I tried Nutrisystem for 6 months. I'd always lose about 20 pounds, and then either plateau, leading to a frustrated me quitting. In 2014 I contacted my insurance company to see if weight loss surgery would be covered under my plan. It was not, so I continued trying to manage my weight through food restrictions and exercise. I'd been at a steady 300 pounds, give or take, for a while. When my parents switched insurance providers, I attempted to see if the new plan would cover surgery, and it did. I met with my surgeon (Dr. Ahmad) in May. We decided that the Gastric Sleeve would be best for me, and we scheduled my surgery for September 14, 2015. I stuck to the pre-surgery diet, and lost a little bit of weight prior to going under the knife.

I've typically been good about coming out from anesthesia, but this time I was a hot mess. My surgery was scheduled at 2PM. I remember waking up for like, a minute, threw up, and fell back asleep. I woke up at 1AM, confused, but feeling pretty good. No pain or anything. Because of my reaction, the doctors decided to keep me for two nights instead of one. It was torture, I just wanted to go in my own bed and sleep. After the two days, and what seemed like a lifetime, my parents were able to take me home. I had no appetite, but continued to try to take in my Protein Shakes and Clear liquids. (I'm super tired of Jell-O now..)

One week after surgery I went in and found out I lost 15-ish pounds. Doctor told me I was doing well with everything. The scars are so tiny. I haven't had to take a Percocet since 4 days after the procedure.

I went for another follow-up appointment today. And my total loss at the moment is 25.5 pounds. This week I'm on my pureed foods diet. It's been fun playing with the food processor to see what different pureed foods would be appetizing to me.

I am very excited to be on my path to a healthier me. I want to be able to walk up stairs without getting winded. I want to be able to fit in a roller coaster seat again! I don't want to worry at family functions about people thinking I'm pregnant. I want to be able to shop at regular stores. And (hopefully) I want my feet to not be a wide anymore (nothing fits me!).

Hopefully as I drop weight, my sleep apnea and asthma will correct themselves, as I've been told is a likely possibility.

So..that's my story! I hope I can talk to some of you guys on the forums for support! There's a support group through my bariatric program, but I find it hard to get off work to attend those meetings. Can't wait to read everyone's stories!

Welcome Elizabeth! Glad to hear your surgery went well and you have started your journey to a healthier life. Congrats!

Welcome and glad to hear things are going smoothly for you so far. Sounds like you are making fantastic progress. It gets so much easier week by week and it sounds like things are already going pretty well for you.

We are about the same. I had my sleeve done on September 17th!

Hello elizabethkl!!! I'm new too. I am in preop. I have one question...... do you remember how you felt when you threw up. Did it hurt like heck?

The only reason I am asking is I always throw up. I tell them n tell them n they don't listen. Just curious. Thank you

@@rebelmom63 I have only a faint memory of that, but I don't think it hurt. If it were to cause pain though, you'll be on enough painkillers so that you won't feel it! I threw up on Monday...3 weeks post op. (I ate like, two spoonfuls more than my stomach could handle) And it didn't hurt like I thought it would.

I am in my first week and I came home two pounds heavier than when I went in. Probably all the uv fluids. When did you start to see pounds coming off?

@mystiq So how much do you weigh, and how much are you trying to lose? Maybe we can be weight loss buddies :)

@retrieverguy I'm trying not to weigh myself at home because I'll drive myself crazy with every ounce I go up or down. So one week post-op I weighed in at the doctor, and was down like 15ish pounds or something. And then two weeks after that was my appointment yesterday where they said I was down about 25 total.

elizabethkl I am currently 249lbs I started at 261. My current goal is 199. But my long term goal is 155. Sounds great! I am just getting used to this site are you on instagram?

Edited by mystiq