Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 9/30 - Qs 4 those weeks ahead of me!

(Long post and excuse the typos - writing on phone).

I was sleeved on 9/30 and even though I did a ton of research I do feel like I overlooked, or missed a few things, so I have just a few questions for those sleeved before me.

Quick back story: My surgery began around 12ish Wednesday and was over after 3:30. Doctors encountered some issues.

1. Larger than expected hernia

2. Weird stomach shape. (Small at the top and large at the bottom).

3. Loose stomach? He said it was something he nor his counterpart had ever seen, but my tummy was not set. It was swinging all over the place. They had to stitch it in place which he said would cause more nausea than normal.

4. Had to cut some abdominal muscle because of size of hernia, stomach.

5. Upper GI study showed some obstruction, but fingers crossed its just swelling. I wasn't able to HD anything down until they day I was released.

Surgery took over 3 hours because of all of this. Recovery in the hospital was pretty horrendous at times and peaceful at others. I ended up having to stay 4 days. (Just released at 3pm yesterday).

Q1: Is it normal to have regret, I literally have some hours were I cry and then some hours where I can't wait until months 6+ to see how far I've came. To add, when I went to get my upper GI study to see why I couldn't hold my liquids in (found it was just slowly dripping) the nurse and doctor both where asking me why in the world I got this surgery saying the usual "your not big enough," or "it seems like they are allowing smaller and smaller patients". So not what I needed to here while being told I couldn't go home and I may have an obstruction that needs a revision.

Q2: This ties into Q1 because I think it's the main reason I'm struggling to appreciate my surgery. I'm still wearing the mid section binder to keep everything firm. It actually hurts terribly when I don't have it on or tight enough. I also have to use a pillow to walk since they took my staples out yesterday. I was able to walk fine in the hospital, pretty fast actually with no pain, but now it's painful to even walk to the bathroom or get up from the bed. My pain meds help, but it feels like I'm being ripped apart when I move. Any advice? I'm desperate.

Q3: What's with my mouth making all the extra saliva? It's to the point I actually have to have a cup with me. Gross. Anyone have this issue or know how to stop it?

Q4: Can I take benadryl for allergies now, or is it something ill-advised?

Q5: Where'd you all buy a pill crusher?

Q6: I started mixing benefiber in mio flavored Water.. Too soon?

Q7: Ive read so any things about how to take care of my incision. What's the easiest/safest way?

Q8: Am I being dramatic? Lol.

Thanks all!!

Edited by sleevedtbd

Sending you well wishes. Haven't been sleeved yet, but hope someone will chime in because these are good questions.

How much did you weigh pre op?

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hang in there and stay connected to this blog for encouragement. I have my surgery on the 15th of this month. I hope to hear that you're much better.

I have not had my surgery yet, but I believe many, if not most, have regret the first couple of weeks, and maybe again during the plateau's. It is easy for me to say, hang in there, but this will pass, and the results will outweigh these tough times. Happy healing.

I was sleeved on sep 21, I was also told over and over " you shouldn't have surgery...." " you're too small for surgery" I was 216 the day of my surgery(5'5). However, No one knew the struggle I had with my weight. I'm sorry to hear you not feeling too good, but I promise it's going to get better ????. After my surgery, I was in so much pain I regretted being sleeved. I'm doing well now and sooo thankful I made this decision. Also, talking to others that were sleeved helps; they also believe it's was the best decision they made. Once your body adjust and you're feeling better, you will feel better about your decision. It will take about 6 weeks before you may feel "normal" again. The metallic taste in your mouth is from the anesthesia, it will go alway after a few weeks, just keep in mind, you body needs to recover from the surgery ( mentally and physically) and these things are temporary Side effects of the surgery. Good luck

I was sleeved 8/19, so by no means am I am expert...but the first 24 hours after surgery, I hated that I had this done and I told my doctor I hated him for doing it to me...he told me "I get that a lot...see how you like me in the morning." I loved him the next morning! I had laser surgery, so once I was off the narcotic (I stopped them), I felt great! Walking helped a lot...

to your questions:

Q1: Who cares what others think about whether you should have had surgery or not, this is YOUR decision and between you and your surgeon. Period.

Q5: Any drug store should have them.

Q7: I was told to keep them clean and leave them alone.

Q8: Absolutely not.

Good luck!

Just wanted to lend my support. It WILL get better. When I was waking up in recovery, moaning loudly (I remember thinking, "will that chick SHUT UP!!!" and then realizing it was me!), one of my first thoughts was, "what have I done to myself??" I think that's really common.

Now, two months out, 61 pounds down, I am so happy I had this done.

Thank you all for the advice and well wishes.

Since it's Monday I was able to speak with my PA about all my issues. The main thing being the pain inside my tummy that's keeping me from moving around like a normal person. Instead of dreaming about food, I'm dreaming about shopping. ???? I basically will have to deal with it until it subsides since the liquid pain meds aren't doing a thing to ease the pain. I also may have to have my surgeon go back in to widen my stomach-esophagus area so I can take in more liquids.

Again, thanks for all the words of encouragement!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Q1 - yes, it is normal to have regrets but it will go away.

Q2 -

Q5 - Amazon.com, CVS, or any other drugstore.

Q8- Leave your incision along.

Remember to walk, walk, walk and sip, sip, sip.

Best of luck!

OK I had my surgery on the 8th of September. I went in on Tuesday morning and went home that Friday. I had hernia surgery at the same time. I also had problems urinating after surgery. I went in weighing 195lbs. Most of all the nurses and doctors said I was too little for the surgery. I have dealt with health problems such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver, sleep apnea, I had to lose weight in order to be healthy. I was taking over 9 daily pills. My goal is to become healthy and lose weight at the same time. I want to wish you gull speedy recovery. Everyday gets better. I'm telling you that from experience.