Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed - Minimal Weight Loss 9 months post op

Hello All

I hope that someone here can really help or give my some light at the end of the tunnel.

Here is a quick background on me. In 2010 I had Lap Band surgery and lost about 120lbs in about 2 years! (YAY for me) than between 2013-14 I gained about 70lbs back! I switched jobs and went back to school full time and just stopped working out with all the commotions in my life. ANYWAY! In October 2014 I had my lap band removed since it had slipped and on Jan 2015 I had the gastric sleeve surgery!

So everything was great for the first 3 months I lost 35 lbs, No lets fast foward to 9 months and I have lost in total 45 lbs! and the bulk of it was in the first 2-3 months as you can see. I am completely discouraged right now! By the time years ago with my lapband I was down 80+ pounds and now I am working out almost twice a day - doing (on and off) 21 day fix and just hating that I have not LOST any weight in 6 months at all! I know a stall but this is crazy! I do not think anything is going to happen anymore. My surgeon says to workout more the nutritionist says to measure out my food more? ... I am not going to pretend that I have been eating EXACTLY great because I have been eating more and bad things a lot more often and recently because I am sooooooo discouraged !

Any suggestions? This is causing my such slight depression because I was down to 212 at my lowest when I had lap band surgery and right now I am at 240-42 and do not see much relief in sight and I feel so overwhelmed with grief (if that's even the right word) because two wls later I am still really big - and who knows if I ever end up going back to my highest weight of 320 (GOD I hope not)!

HELP?

Refocus and recommit to getting back on track.

The surgery does not make the weight just disappear forever - it is a tool and you need to take advantage of it, especially during the early days (my doc says the best time for weight loss is within 18 months of surgery).

You lost 35 pounds in the first 3 months - that is super and honestly way better than you could have done on your own. You should be thrilled with that! It is a great start, so don't get so discouraged.

The part that seems to be your major issue is that you have had two surgeries now, but didn't really change your lifestyle for good. If you slid back up 70+ pounds due to some life stressors, then that indicates to me that you didn't have a good support structure in place, and had not worked with your nutritionist to change your eating habits overall. And the fact that you stopped an exercise routine for a good long while is also telling.

Your health is technically like a three legged stool: One leg is the surgery, one leg is healthy eating and the last leg is exercise and activity levels. You basically chopped off two of the legs and expected to still be able to sit comfortably on the one little leg - surgery... but just like a one legged stool, you fell right over. Adding back in one more leg - exercise - is still going to be unstable and wobbly - you have to have all three working together to achieve the best results!

Don't let the lack of progress discourage you - use it as a learning experience and get riled up and get back out there learning about how to cook decent meals and what kinds of foods work best for you. Find several different activities that are fun and don't seem like exercise so you want to get out there and do them. Commit to changing your life for the better and it will happen! :D

Edited by FrankiesGirl

What are you eating/drinking? From what I've read on here band to sleeve revision folks have to work a little harder to lose. If you aren't following the recommended eating guidelines that's likely the reason why you aren't losing. Weight loss starts in the kitchen not the gym.

I have not had the surgery yet. i have it on Nov 2 but from reseaching and looking at your case I would suggest not eating anything bad. I know its hard when you feeel discouraged but it seems like right now with your stall you cant have any bad food. Maybe try switching up your diet completely. I read on another post that someone their diet and it broke their stall. Maybe try different exercise than what you have been doing to push your body and break your stall. most importantly dont give up. You have came so far. So people lose weight slowly. You also have to remember you cant compare your band to your sleeve they are diferent surgeries. You will get through this. Good luck

@@BLERDgirl - Love this!!! "Weight loss starts in the kitchen not the gym."

What are you eating/drinking? From what I've read on here band to sleeve revision folks have to work a little harder to lose. If you aren't following the recommended eating guidelines that's likely the reason why you aren't losing. Weight loss starts in the kitchen not the gym.

@@FrankiesGirl - Love your 3-legged stool analogy!

@@Giselle426 - Don't give up!! Keep working your program and doing everything your surgeon and NUT have recommended. And the hardest thing of all (at least for me) - be patient with the weight loss. Slow and steady is the way to go. Just stay the course!

I completely agree with that I left everything slip completely! I believe it is really hard since I LOVE food! I did not expect to be so unsuccessful I guess so that is why I am so disappointed. I have decided to try to give up most carbs generally! and stay under or at 1200 cals.

Mostly I do but sometimes I go up to about 1400. I do not drink soda and I gave up coffee a long time ago.

As far as excersize I try so many different things and never do the same for too long and I try different things thanks to groupon/living social/amazon local to vary my workouts.

I hope I can loose weight because I have so much clothes that currently does not fit that I would like to wear!

Thanks everyone!

One of the things that keep the weight on me is processed foods.

I had to eliminate almost everything that comes pre-packaged,

including the "healthy" meals in the freezer section.

So many chemicals are added to stabalize and make the processed foods taste good,

we don't know what the effect is on our metabolism and blood sugar.

I stick with the rule, "Only eat things that are the ingredients for other things." :-)

== Get my Free eBook - The Top 10 WLS Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!
== get it here ---> http://frankensleeve.com

You mention eating junk, giving up carbs, and restricting calories, but nowhere do you mention Protein or Water. Are you reaching your protein and water goals every day? Making sure you are getting enough of protein and water is the foundation of whatever you do.

Track your food... Log every meal/snack and get an honest idea of how much calories/carbs/protein you are getting. It is very easy to underestimate without logging it somewhere. Dont use guesswork at all until you get back on track, and then keep logging to stay on track .

Take your calories back down to 1000-1200 calories a day. (I really think 1200-1400 is too high for weight loss.) Focus on high Protein foods and aim for at least 80g Protein daily. Limit your carbs, under 40 g per day. Go back to how you were eating in the beginning (when you were losing). Also, make sure you are getting in all your fluids.

Lean beef, chicken, seafood, eggs, and low carb veggies should be the main solids you make meals from. Avoid high carb foods like potatoes, breads, rice, and fruits for now. Keep smart snack choices handy if you need one between meals. Light n Fit greek yogurt, beef Jerky, sugar free pudding cups, cottage cheese, a boiled egg, etc... Go back to the basics.

I know that if you recommit yourself to this that you can do this!

Edited by liannatx

Agreed. Log your food, even if it's temporary. It surprising how seemingly little things can add up. Food logging makes us look at what and how we are eating

You mention eating junk, giving up carbs, and restricting calories, but nowhere do you mention Protein or Water. Are you reaching your Protein and Water goals every day? Making sure you are getting enough of protein and water is the foundation of whatever you do.

Yes I still drink protien since its super fast and handy, I drink 2-3 shakes a day along with chicken, I dont like fish or eggs so mostly I eat chicken or trukey. as far as water goes I try to drink at least 1.5 liters while im at work and that isnt including what I drink during my workouts.

I will admit though that I have been over doing it with the carbs and junk lately! But I am here to ask for more additional help!

Track your food... Log every meal/snack and get an honest idea of how much calories/carbs/protein you are getting. It is very easy to underestimate without logging it somewhere. Dont use guesswork at all until you get back on track, and then keep logging to stay on track .

Take your calories back down to 1000-1200 calories a day. (I really think 1200-1400 is too high for weight loss.) Focus on high Protein foods and aim for at least 80g Protein daily. Severey limit your carbs, under 40 g per day. Go back to how you were eating in the beginning (when you were losing). Also, make sure you are getting in all your fluids.

Lean beef, chicken, seafood, eggs, and low carb veggies should be the main solids you make meals from. Avoid high carb foods like potatoes, breads, rice, and fruits for now. Keep smart snack choices handy if you need one between meals. Light n Fit greek yogurt, beef Jerky, sugar free pudding cups, cottage cheese, a boiled egg, etc... Go back to the basics.

I know that if you recommit yourself to this that you can do this!

Yea thanks for the advice. I use myfitnesspal but now that I will be starting a new job I will be more diligent with what goes inside me! I love broccoli and mixed veggies so I eat them constantly, but I will most definitely cut out those carbs because I do like rice and potatoes, not together but yes I will be cutting them out! I recently also downloaded fooducate as well! I am going to meal prep better this weekend and I can hope to change this around so that I can be a better patient and be happier with my life over all and not have this hanging over me also!

I am going to try to do even more clean eating and I am bringing down the amount of cals. I also will up my Water intake.

any more suggestions?

@@Giselle426, If I read your post correctly, it looks like you were saying you work out 2x per day. Is that correct? My exercise physiologist told me working out too much can also stall your weight loss( go figure).

Maybe dial it back a bit. 5-6 days a week, 1x per day may help. Just a thought.

Also, does your bariatric team have a support group? Talking to others in person may also help-at least with the depression.

Hang in there & give it your best shot!

Working out too much can cause you body to into stress mode and hold weight.

Really log all of your food and weigh and measure it. Even log the bad food, so you can see mistakes in print. Then it will be easier to avoid them when you see how bad they are in front of you.

As people here always say, go back to basics. Clean Protein first (nothing breaded, fried or on bread), and Water. Portion Control your food and don't eat more than what your portion is.

@@Giselle426, If I read your post correctly, it looks like you were saying you work out 2x per day. Is that correct? My exercise physiologist told me working out too much can also stall your weight loss( go figure).

Maybe dial it back a bit. 5-6 days a week, 1x per day may help. Just a thought.

Also, does your bariatric team have a support group? Talking to others in person may also help-at least with the depression.

Hang in there & give it your best shot!

@@Kathy812 yes I do, in the am I work out with 21 df or piyo and at night I go to a gym so I do more cardio and weight lifting!