Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have you folks found is the best way to get your fruit/veggies in a small amount? Is there a really good juice out there that you can have a couple ounces of and get your fill of fruit/veggies for the day? I've started to look into it and can't find much, looking to be miserable for an ounce or two and be done with it.

Thank you

Stuart

my dietician doesn't have us worrying about fruits and veggies while during weight loss. That's what Vitamins and fiber supplements are for. We are supposed to focus on Protein first and maybe have an ounce or so of green veggies or berries if there is room for it.

my dietician doesn't have us worrying about fruits and veggies while during weight loss. That's what Vitamins and Fiber supplements are for. We are supposed to focus on Protein first and maybe have an ounce or so of green veggies or berries if there is room for it.

Interesting, our entire lives we were told fruits and veggies, fruits and veggies, now it's just Protein, protein, fruits and veggies if you have time and feel like it...

Thanks for the reply ...

When I was on full liquids, I drank an occasional V8.

When I got to soft foods I added cooked green Beans, no sugar added peaches, pears, and applesauce.

Now that I am further out I still have these plus mostly fresh fruit and vegetables: green Beans, squash, fresh Tomato, fresh peaches, plums, blueberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc.

I don't eat a lot of fruits and vegetables but when I do, I go for quality.

I have been drinking a lot of fruit infused Water lately, too.

I wouldn't go for juice--you're getting the calories and sugar without the Fiber.

I am 2.5 months out, and I'm getting fruits and veggies in a few ways:

• a few blueberries (8-10 or so) in my morning Protein oatmeal
  • half an apple w/ a tablespoon of nut butter for a snack
  • a slice of homegrown Tomato or 3-4 baby carrots with my lunch (after eating my protein)
  • veggies as an ingredient in a protein-based main dish or casserole
  • a spoonful of guacamole on top of a black bean burger or refried Beans

For me, including fruits, veggies, and even some whole grains (so far just in the form of oatmeal) is proving to be really important in order for me to get at least a little fiber in my diet. I don't want to become dependent on laxatives.< /p>

Honestly, my first year post-op, I primarily ate refried Beans with my meals. I would get the occasional bite of broccoli or cauliflower when we had catered events at work, but I just didn't have the space in my sleeve and Frankensleeve HATED anything with fiber in it. We came to a truce over refried beans.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm rather surprised that there isn't more emphisis on fruits and veggies

Uh ... my team / education did suggest that veggies / fruits / whole grains (eventually) are important.

Around 4-5 months I was edging up toward 5 veggies and fruits a day. They included colored vegges, e.g., green Beans, tomatoes, squashes, blueberries, apples, oranges, melon, mango, etc.

At that time I also started aiming for 21 grams of fiber daily (the minimum for women - for men it's 25 grams).

I wouldn't drink fruit juices - that won't provide ANY satisfaction and liquid calories.

Post-op, the point to eating is not ONLY to lose weight, but to learn how to eat more healthfully. That worked great for me.

At that time I also started aiming for 21 grams of Fiber daily (the minimum for women - for men it's 25 grams).

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to get more fiber in their diet -- I aim high on mine, too. But keep in mind that the 21/25 grams figures are not static. They are actually calculated in proportion to the number of calories you are taking in. The numbers 21 and 25 are thrown around based on the assumption that people are eating the "standard" diets in the 1800-2500 calorie range. The real number to work from is 14 grams of fiber per 1000 calories consumed.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/recommended-daily-serving-fiber-4262.html

So for someone eating 800 calories per day, the minimum to shoot for would be 11 grams of fiber.

So for someone eating 800 calories per day, the minimum to shoot for would be 11 grams of Fiber.

I'm still struggling to get more than 5 grams of fiber while keeping my carbs under 50 grams. And I know that's still way more carbs than most people on these boards preach. I worry daily about sabotaging my weight loss due to this, but if it's the choice between losing less weight or living in anal fissure hell because of Constipation, I guess I'll be a little chubby. :/

I am inclined to believe there can not exist a healthy diet without fruits and vegetables in some shape and form. That I think is nutrition 101.

I am inclined to believe there can not exist a healthy diet without fruits and vegetables in some shape and form. That I think is nutrition 101.

I agree.

IMHO, the foods it makes more sense to minimize or avoid foods that are highly refined, high-sugar, and laden with sodium/preservatives.

And no, my daily menus aren't 100% "clean." But they're better than they used to be. And I'm learning more and applying what I learn.

For instance, the more of my food I cook from scratch, the more nutritious / less toxic my food is. In other words, I'm buying and eating less food packed in boxes, bags, cans and plastic.

Gee, what a revelation, huh?

Story of our lives, damed if we do, damed if we don't.

I take all of my Multi's and supplements so I don't worry too much about it. I do know that my diet and my body are 100 times healthier than they were pre-op.

Last night I had steak and 4 asparagus spears. If I have chicken salad for lunch, I eat it with sliced cucumbers instead of crackers. I love bell pepper strips to dip Hummus. I incorporate what veggies I can. At this stage only being able to eat 3-4 oz at time, I don't know if it would be possible to get all the required nutrients and Protein without my Vitamins and Protein Drink anyway.

The first months when I was only able to eat 2oz per meal I focused purely on Protein. Literally. I would eat some fajita meat, 2 shrimp, a piece of tilapia, etc... because that was all I had room for. Now that I can eat a little more I have noticed that I am able to eat more variety and feel like I am establishing what will be the new normal for the rest of my life.