Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pneumonia and Meningitis ***WORRIED***

Ok. Stats

Start 256lbs

Sw 236 (5/12/15)

Cw 178

I've been in the hospital for 2 days npw. I am having severe sensitivity to light, stiff neck and pain, occasional vomiting, totally grumpy (3 days ago, now better mood). When I got here they thought sepsis but it was ruled out by blood work. Chest xray shows pneumonia for sure. (I didn't have a couch or any symptoms so it was a shock). Urine test showed UTI. Immediately started antibiotics for both they said it could kinda explain the extra symptoms so it was my choice whether to do a spinal tap for meningitis. Being that it's a life threatening disease and I have small children, I opted to do it. They poked 4 times then held me over night for radiology to use xray to find the spot. Results show low level meningitis.

The CDC Dr was called. He's not sure what it is because the numbers are so low. So they stopped the antibiotics for it to "see" if it developes more. Kinda Guinea Pig me. I'm in quarantine. I have a final exam tomorrow (I'm studying for just in case I can go)

Has anyone else had anything similar? Pneumonia? Meningitis is rare but maybe? Something else with similar symptoms?

I haven't been able to eat, although I'm keeping hydrated. Pain us being managed but not getting better.

Thanks everyone

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say so sorry you are going through all this! I hope they figure it out and fix you up soon!

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say so sorry you are going through all this! I hope they figure it out and fix you up soon!

Thank you!!

So sorry you are having such struggles.

My adult daughter had meningitis. I just about passed out watching the spinal tap. Dr. fished around (several failed attempts) then went and got someone with experience doing them <big sigh>.

The meningitis ran its course and daughter was ok. It did take some time.

Good luck to you, keep us posted.

@@onesleevedmamma

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm lifting you up in prayer today. Hugs from Kansas City.

Edited by AngelaWilliamsMD

So sorry you are having such struggles.

My adult daughter had meningitis. I just about passed out watching the spinal tap. Dr. fished around (several failed attempts) then went and got someone with experience doing them <big sigh>.

The meningitis ran its course and daughter was ok. It did take some time.

Good luck to you, keep us posted.

Thank you! I'm glad she is OK! The spinal tap isn't fun and I may get ANOTHER one today :(

@@onesleevedmamma

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm lifting you up in prayer today. Hugs from Kansas City.

Thank you. The gastric sleeve has Mr in a roller coaster of emotions. I cry easy. This isn't helping that. Still is the best decision I've ever made, I just wish the emotions were easier. Prayers are certainly welcomed and appreciated

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this but have to believe you are in the best place to receive the proper care. I know that not knowing what is going on can be the worst. Sending prayers and hugs . Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this but have to believe you are in the best place to receive the proper care. I know that not knowing what is going on can be the worst. Sending prayers and hugs . Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thank you! Unfortunately no more news or tests

Yikes!

Sorry, I have no insights or experience with any of your diagnoses or symptoms.

But I sure hope you get over this mess soon.

Get well!

Hi. How are you doing today? Any news?

Oh my. You've been through an ordeal. Prayers for you!

Pneumonia has continued to be treated and symptoms are MUCH better! My 2 Dr's only agree that there is a viral brain infection. Dr. 1 says meningitis. Dr2 says encephalitis. I've had 2 mri's, chest xrays, every blood test, antibiotics for everything and a spinal tap. Tomorrow I get another spinal tap since everyone is still confused as to what causes this continual severe headache, sensitivity to light and neck stiffness

Thank you everyone for your well wishes ! You're great support!

Funny part is my university professor faxed the final exam to the hospital to I could do it while I'm in here (on my birthday today no less) Dr's were upset she wanted to do that but I pressed it because I have to pass this class which means taking this test (brain infection and pain or not)

It wasn't easy, but it takes for a fun story

I am so sorry you don't have answers but glad your pneumonia is better.

I hope you get good news tomorrow and an A on your exam.

Happy Birthday! It is going to be a great year.