Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is is easier after surgery?

Feels like a silly question but I'm wondering is it the sleeve that helps us eat better after surgery?

I ask this because I know how to eat right and I've lost weight in the past doing it but always seem to fall off and re gain.

I know surgery is just a tool and not a miracle but I'm scared asking myself what makes it easier post op rather than pre op.

Many of us failed at diets before so I guess my question is wanting to know what the differences are in eating right post op vs. Pre op?

They say you have to change your eating habits and lifestyle after surgery, is it easier to do that after surgery than it is before?

Thanks

I am only 3 months out and I have to say that some days the surgery makes it easier but really No I don't think so! It is a daily struggle to choose the right things and do the right things. Life long challenge for sure but I will say that filling up sooner is something I am very grateful for and have zero regrets about getting my sleeve!

Feels like a silly question but I'm wondering is it the sleeve that helps us eat better after surgery?

I ask this because I know how to eat right and I've lost weight in the past doing it but always seem to fall off and re gain.

I know surgery is just a tool and not a miracle but I'm scared asking myself what makes it easier post op rather than pre op.

Many of us failed at diets before so I guess my question is wanting to know what the differences are in eating right post op vs. Pre op?

They say you have to change your eating habits and lifestyle after surgery, is it easier to do that after surgery than it is before?

Thanks

The gherlin removal really helps me make smarter choices. The smaller stomach keeps my portions small. You still have to do work though.

They remove the excess part of your stomach which also has the,area that produces the hunger hormone. Eventually that will grow back. But initially it forces us to only eat certain types of food, in small portions, and without liquids during eating. Hopefully during that time we will develop healthy eating and Water and exercise habits to keep it off long term. If not, eventually we will stretch our stomachs again and gain back.

In short, it's a tool that helps. Not a solution. It only works if you use it. *well, initially it will work no matter what because you Cannot eat enough to gain and your body will loose weight **

I often wonder that too? I am just scared to go through the surgery and end up gaining weight back like I have in all my other 100+ lb weight losses. There has to be something to it, because I am not smarter than the scientific community who say it is the best treatment for obesity. I am going to go to counseling first to help me sort this out. The decision making process has not been easy for me.

One, the lack of ghrelin or minute production of it helps curb the appetite. Many have to remind themselves to eat because they're not hungry. Secondly pain and vomiting is a deterrent for anyone! Lol you can't over eat or...

I figured and again I know its a tool its just all the talk of you need to change your lifestyle and eat healthy makes me wonder if I can do that now why need surgery but like everyone says above I think the tool is just a really helpful one at least at first.

My thought process is I will learn the habits and form new healthy habits at least that is my plan.

Plus the consistent weight loss is a constant motivating factor. A lot of times we diet and exercise and step on the scale to see we've lost 2-3 lbs, if any all month! Seeing that you've dropped a decent amount is encouraging for us to continue making healthy choices.

Plus the consistent weight loss is a constant motivating factor. A lot of times we diet and exercise and step on the scale to see we've lost 2-3 lbs, if any all month! Seeing that you've dropped a decent amount is encouraging for us to continue making healthy choices.

True true! I've only ever dropped a max of 30lbs and then gained it back in a few months. Seeing 77lbs gone and knowing it takes work but I will have tong term progress if stick to it is awesome! I will continue to keep using my tool to keep it off

My sleeve helps me to avoid over-eating in one sitting, otherwise Miss Tummy will punish me for hours. It's on me to decide what Miss Tummy gets to work with. It's on me to not graze all day. It's a forever deal, but the weight loss is worth it. No regrets.

For me, it is easier after surgery because as the weight comes off I am gaining energy. I have energy to workout on a regular basis and stick with it.

As the weight comes off I am gaining determination. I am determined to follow the plan and use this blessing I have been given to the best of my ability.

As the weight comes off I am gaining confidence. I feel really good and I look good. I am confident that I will not turn back to my old ways because I am loving how I am feeling now. I will not let anything take this feeling away from me.

It is easier after surgery, for me, because I just know that this is a blessing that I have been given and I will not waste it. I am developing healthy habits that are now routine for me. If you do something over and and over again it becomes habit. Eat right and exercise every day. Habit. Easy. Habit.

In my case, the food cravings and overwhelming compulsion for certain flavors disappeared the day after surgery and have never returned at the same level. I don't know if it was because of the reduction in the hormone Ghrelin or if it was psychosomatic? But I was ready to take advantage of this opportunity to get my life back.

For the 1st year, my new Frankensleeve restricted the amount and the kinds of foods I could eat. After that, it was up to me to make the right choices. I made small changes in my diet that added up over time. For example; If I started craving a sugary food, I'd fill up on Protein, then if I still had to have it, I'd eat a small portion. Eventually, I was able to completely resist all temptations. And now I can take or leave any food... it's my choice if I eat it or not, not an overwhelming compulsion as it was pre-op.

So to answer your question, yes, the surgery did make it easier for me to make the right lifestyle changes to lose weight and keep it off.

I ASK MYSELF THE SAME QUESTION. IF I'M DOING IT SO WELL NOW, STICKING TO MY PLAN, WHY COULDN'T I DO IT BEFORE. WELL I'M NOT SURE FOR EVERYONE BUT FOR ME I THINK ITS THAT I WOULD ABSOLUTELY KICK MYSELF IF I WENT THRU THE PAIN AND SUFFERING OF THE PRE OP, THE SURGERY, THE TRAUMATIC POST OP I HAD AND THEN CHEATED OR DIDN'T FOLLOW MY PLAN. EVEN IF I THINK OF TASTING CAKE ICING OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT THE THOUGHT OF DISAPPOINTMENT STOPS ME IMMEDIATELY. SO SO THANKFUL FOR THIS SURGERY. OH AND WITHOUT IT, EVEN EATING LOW CARB, I'M SURE I'D EAT TOO MUCH, ALWAYS HAVE ALWAYS WOULD HAD I NOT HAD THIS SURGERY.