Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurants post surgery

Tonight we went out to Celebrate my daughter. I never thought going to a restaurant would be so difficult. After just a few bites I felt totally sick! This is the first time since my surgery and I am on soft foods so I got a side of mashed potatoes. Did I do something wrong or is this how it's going to be for the rest of my life?

Is that all you got? Mashed potatoes are heavy, they were probably just sitting in your sleeve like a lump. I'm assuming that's what the problem was.

I'm almost 5 weeks out and on soft foods. I've eaten at Wendy's, Chipotle, and Qdoba. I eat very slowly, chew thoroughly, and stop when I think I've had 2-3oz or I feel full. I don't foresee any issues with dining out in the future.

Next time try to go for Protein instead of heavy carbs. chicken or fish would have been a good choice.

Just came home from girls night w/my friends.

I ordered a 6 oz. filet & scallops with a side of grilled veggies. As an appetizer I shared crab cakes ( I ate 1).

I ate maybe 2 ounces of filet, half a scallop & one bite of veggies. I brought the rest home, will eat it tomorrow w/enough left over to give my husband a little taste.

The answer your question, is yes-it definitely gets easier. By the way, I am almost 11th month post-op.

I am only 3 1/2 mos post-op. I eat out about once a week due to travel. I usually order Soup if I can ... even if all i eat is the broth. It is less expensive than a full meal & quite filling.

Edited by rustbel4ti

I understand about going out to eat. I am 3 1/2 weeks out now. We went out for lunch today. I just got a bowl of Soup. I took a bite out of it and it was crazy salty. My husband who is more sensitive to salt than I was pre-surgery said that it tasted fine. I guess the last 6 weeks of eating different has changed my taste. I really don't think it is a bad thing.????

Went out to plaza de toro and orderd 4 grilled shrimp with a side of white queso ..waiter looked at me funny as it was so little ..He comes back and brought me 7 shrimp because they were little .I ate 3 and brought home the rest ..took my wayer to go

I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow

Greatest thing about eating out post sleeve? LEFTOVERS!

You will get there. Don't try anything NEW at a restaurant (I still can't eat certain things, they make me sick and you may have some of those too, don't discover it away from home!) and split a meal or order sides or appetizer portions. This stage you are in isn't forever!

It gets better! I'm 2.5 months out, and I've eaten out at all sorts of places without any problems. I don't think I had anything from a restaurant until after I had started regular foods, though. Like @@jess9395 said, it's not a great idea to try a particular food for the first time when you're out. If you'd already had mashed potatoes at home and had no problem, it may be that the restaurant adds all sorts of fatty stuff (butter, sour cream, etc.) to theirs, and that's what bothered you. If you can, research restaurants ahead of time to plan what you are going to order. And don't be shy about asking the waiter what's in something on their menu, or how it's prepared. For awhile, you may have to be a little pushy with your family to go to a restaurant where you can find something suitable to eat. But as I said, once you are on regular foods, it's pretty easy. I even ate at the ballpark last night--part of a black-bean veggie burger with cheese, lettuce, Tomato, and grilled onions, hold the bun!

Edited by lauraellen80