Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Digestive Problems after Gasric Bypass

Gentlemen:

I had RNY Gastric Bypass operation on 3/30/14

Since then I've lost over 100 pounds, It fixed my diabetes, sleep Apnea and lack of mobility

On the down side, and 3 months after the operation, I have a series of recurring symptoms

Pain in the colon, Lack of apetite, Bloated Stomach, gurgling stomach,

feeling sick after eating, Repulsion against food. food makes me nauseous

No blood in the stools, Regular bowel movements, No fever

These symptoms appeared with regularity every 2 to 3 months

Usually they will go away after taking laxatives, Miralax and Colace

I’ve been sent to the hospital in two occasions and the following procedures were performed on me

Colon Decompression

Scan CT, Colonoscopy, Upper GI Series, A small polyp was found and removed.

A biopsy was performed in the polyp as well as in another part of the colon.

Nothing was found and Drs could not figure out what I had

However, the last occurrence of these symptoms started on 06/30/2015

And this time around there is no pain, everything else being the same

And the laxatives are not working.

What is worrisome is my lack of appetite and repulsion towards food

Problem still pending, my latest doctor says, there is no cure for this condition

and is a complication of Bariatic Bypass

Please Help, If anyone out there could shed some light in this problem

Not sure what this problem is. Why are you taking a laxative if you have regular bowel movements?

I had a couple episodes where I had a lack of appetite and repulsion towards food. But this was because I had a stomach flu. And one of the symptoms of the flu was diarrhea. So that doesn't match your symptoms.

Gentlemen:

I had RNY Gastric Bypass operation on 3/30/14

Since then I've lost over 100 pounds, It fixed my diabetes, sleep Apnea and lack of mobility

On the down side, and 3 months after the operation, I have a series of recurring symptoms

Pain in the colon, Lack of apetite, Bloated Stomach, gurgling stomach,

feeling sick after eating, Repulsion against food. food makes me nauseous

No blood in the stools, Regular bowel movements, No fever

These symptoms appeared with regularity every 2 to 3 months

Usually they will go away after taking laxatives, Miralax and Colace

I’ve been sent to the hospital in two occasions and the following procedures were performed on me

Colon Decompression

Scan CT, Colonoscopy, Upper GI Series, A small polyp was found and removed.

A biopsy was performed in the polyp as well as in another part of the colon.

Nothing was found and Drs could not figure out what I had

However, the last occurrence of these symptoms started on 06/30/2015

And this time around there is no pain, everything else being the same

And the laxatives are not working.

What is worrisome is my lack of appetite and repulsion towards food

Problem still pending, my latest doctor says, there is no cure for this condition

and is a complication of Bariatic Bypass

Please Help, If anyone out there could shed some light in this problem

Hi just reading your post. Have you had a resolution to your issues? How are you feeling now?

I had vbg done in 2005 and have suffered with sickness and bloating ever since. Been told I need a revision to a bypass ,which was funded four times but not carried out. They treat me for malnutrition and send me home. I want a life but not like this. I have been fitted with a PEG feed but have found that the same symptoms persist. They will not proceed without a Barium meal ( I have had 10). However I bring it up and it does not register. My skin is breaking down and my upper thigh is covered in sores. I just want someone to make me better

Ro

I had gastric bypass 10/22/2015. I'm just a month out but still struggling. I hate eating or drinking and through up daily trying to eat. Dr says I have gastritis and stomach is rejecting everything I put in it. Going in weekly for IV's. Meds for nausea fill me up and make me sick too. I feel your pain.

My worst problem is one no one ever talks about. Gas, severe stinky gas. It has gotten so my manager has pulled me aside and told me to fix it, as both my co-workers and my patients are complaining! I cannot figure out if it is from something I am eating, or nerves, for real. I have no warning, just stink. How embarrassing. I did talk to one doc about it, and I think he was embarrassed as he just laughed. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!!

My worst problem is one no one ever talks about. Gas, severe stinky gas. It has gotten so my manager has pulled me aside and told me to fix it, as both my co-workers and my patients are complaining! I cannot figure out if it is from something I am eating, or nerves, for real. I have no warning, just stink. How embarrassing. I did talk to one doc about it, and I think he was embarrassed as he just laughed. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!!

Jo Scott - I suffer the same embarrassing symptoms. This gas is ruining my marriage. I'm eating OTC remedies like candy: Phazyme, Beano, Activated Charcoal, Devrom... some help sometimes, but this is far beyond normal, and it's so offensive. I'm okay in the mornings and afternoon (work hours), but my intestines just go berserk by night time. I would not blame my husband if he divorces me. I've cut out all dairy - I've become lactose intolerant, but it's more than that at this point. I'm ready to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist to see if something more is wrong and if something can be done to help me.

@@AZCristi Prior to being diagnosed with Celiac disease my niece had the worst smelling gas. You may want to talk to your surgeon or a GI Dr - it could be an allergy. Good luck.

Is a GI doctor - is that a gastroenterologist?