Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seattle Sleevers?

I'm being sleeved on September 8th with Dr. Kaufman at Puget Sound Bariatrics. Any other Seattle area sleevers out there??

I'm having mine done at Puget Sound Surgical Center too - with Dr Harris on Aug 31st! Started my low carb diet yesterday.

I have my pre-op with Dr K & NUT this Thursday & start low carb officially next Tuesday (8/25). Are they having you do any liquid only pre-op or just the low carb?

Just low carb until 6pm the night before surgery when it goes to liquids only. Strange that every practice is different... I guess UW has people eat 1200 calories for 2 weeks, and my friend in St Louis had to do liquids only for 2 weeks. I had my nutrition appt today. I didn't realize how many carbs are in pretty much everything! I'm not used to eating so much meat and cheese - I'm usually thinking about low fat, not low carb. I have a headache and I'm already craving carbs... but I can do this for 2 weeks!

It is funny how different every program seems to be! The headache might be from caffeine withdrawal. Either way (carbs or caffeine), the headache should go away in a day or 2! I've been low carb off and on for years, so I'm glad that's our program!

Well, I survived! Just recuperating at home and it's not too bad - I get to eat pudding today and take a shower - so excited.

How are you doing on your low carb diet? The second week is easier.

pudding and a shower… it's the little things! My pre-op is going great so far. Down 8 lbs since last Tursday. I had forgotten that the best part of being really low-carb, at least for me, is that I rarely feel hungry. More often than not for the last few days, I find myself eating because it's 4pm & I haven't eaten anything since Breakfast than because I'm actually hungry!!

Did you stay overnight at PSB? How was that?

Good for you on the 8lbs! Yes I stayed overnight - the nurses were great and very calm. Probably should have worn some headphones or ear plugs as there were a lot of routine noises and you're only behind a curtain, but all went smoothly.

Haha! Already have headphones on my list of things to take with me! How long was it from the time you arrive until you were out of surgery? Trying to get some idea so I can let my support person know what to expect.

I was to check in at 12:15, I went into the OR at about 2:00, and the doctor called my husband at 3:15 to let him know it was over and I had done well (and showed him pictures - ugh!). It was a little nerve wracking sitting in the pre-op room (my room for the night) for about 90 minutes before I was called back, but my husband was with me and in that time we talked with various nurses, the anesthesiologist, the surgeon, and then I changed into a gown and literally walked into the OR and got up on the table. It was weird seeing all the instruments and equipment but I was only in there about 5 minutes before they put the mask on me - next thing I knew they were helping me get up off the table in the recovery area and walk next door to my little room for the night. They told my husband the procedure would take about 90 minutes but it was a little less than that. I'm not sure when he was allowed to come back to see me after he talked to the doctor, but it was probably another hour. He stayed until about 9pm and then I told him to go back to his hotel for the night because I was doing a lot of dozing. He picked me up at 5am the next morning and off we went.

Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure it will go smoothly. :)

Hi! I'm having surgery at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue on September 21. I'm doing the 2 week very low carb diet too...started today. 3 Protein Shakes, 1 cup of non-starchy vegetables, and 1 frozen lean cuisine meal per day. Sounds like you are going to have a great surgery if you made it through the diet! I'd love to hear more about your recovery if you are inclined to share.

Hi "nnv", I just had my 1-week post-op with my surgeon today. Happy to share my experience if you like... what's on your mind? I am having a smooth recovery so far. Only thing is that I've developed an allergic reaction to the stuff they put on your stomach to prepare for surgery (it's like Iodine), so I have an itchy rash. Otherwise, I've been off pain meds for a few days and feeling better each day.

Hi Pam! I'm Nadene and I think I'm most worried about the recovery time. I am a college professor and I don't have normal vacation or sick leave as there aren't really substitutes available for me. I will only have about a week off before I have to be back in my classroom and I just don't know if that's enough. How are you feeling? What kind/how much activity are you comfortable with 1 week out?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I'm not sure you can necessarily count on it for sure, as everyone's recovery is different. That said, I really could have gone back to work yesterday as my recovery has been smooth and I have an office job where I can sit. I am actually working from home the rest of the week starting tomorrow, and going back physically on Monday. Could you teach via Skype for a week as a contingency, or have a guest lecturer? It's possible to be back in a week but you probably need to discuss with your surgeon and have a Plan B. Just my opinion!