Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose the Sleeve over the Bypass

Need insightful thoughts.A revision is a big deal.Lapband out.....Sleeve or RNY

I know a lot of people from these forums who started at your size and have lost all their excess weight -- if that's what you're worried about.

I also know a lot of people from these forums who started at your size and lost down to around 200.

And, of course, some people are so uncompliant after WLS that they don't lose much or quickly regain their weight loss.

I expect there are many reasons why people don't reach their goal weights, most of which boil down to their not being "compliant enough" post-op. However, there are surely others for whom losing weight after WLS just doesn't work as well as for others, no matter how compliant they are. I know people who are compliant as all get out, but for whom weight loss is just a lot slower than for others -- and I can't tell what the differences between them and me are.

Other factors that should go into your decision about which WLS to choose are the specific comorbidities and diseases you suffer from, e.g., diabetes, autoimmune diseases, etc., and the medicines you have to take for those. As you probably know, nutritional and Rx malabsorption problems are greater after bypass surgery than after sleeve surgery.

Indeed.

The short answer is: I wanted the least invasive surgery. The Sleeve doesn't reroute my intestines. But now that I've found co-workers that had RNY, (and had great success over multiple years) I realize I couldn't have gone wrong with either surgery.

For me personally, I chose sleeve over RNY because I did not want my my insides rerouted, I am already Vitamin deficient and that is a risk with RNY and all my research said that was what was right for me. I had diabetes, HBP and high cholesterol. I am now off all blood sugar meds and have been since day of surgery. I am on a much lower dose HBP med and a half dose for cholesterol.

For each of us the surgery we have is a personal decision. My surgeon agreed I would be successful with the sleeve and so far I have been. Good luck in whatever procedure you choose!

I didn't want my intestines touched. I watched some die a slow year long death due to intestine issues after a surgery, not wls, and I decided anything that touched my intestines was not for me.

Ok!:-)

I didn't want the malabsorption. I already have Celiac disease and didn't want to run the risk of not getting enough nutrients.

I also didn't want to mess with my intestines.

I can't afford complications....

I'm a nurse and have taken care of many patients who have had gastric bypass. Most of them were nutrient deficient with malabsorption problems. They were in and out of the hospital on a regular basis. They may have lost a lot of weight but they were not healthy people. I know that is not what every bypass patient experiences but I was not willing to try my luck. I had the band removed in December and was sleeved on 8.7.15. Other than not being able to tolerate sugar-free foods, it's been smooth sailing.

Aside from the malabsorbtion and the re-routing issues that concerned me, it was also the one that made the most emotional sense to me.

Just make my stomach smaller!

It's how the band should have worked. I'm satisfied with 3oz of Protein and a couple of ounces of veggies.

I was going for the sleeve but the band did a number on my stomach and esophagus...RNY for me final decision...my stomach has been band abused...not cutting out 85% of my stomach.Never can get that back...,but my friend who just got her first time sleeve is doing very well....

I was going for the sleeve but the band did a number on my stomach and esophagus...RNY for me final decision...my stomach has been band abused...not cutting out 85% of my stomach.Never can get that back...,but my friend who just got her first time sleeve is doing very well....

I'm glad you picked your surgery and there is no wrong choice. However I don't think you should go into this expecting to reverse your bypass and I don't understand why the fact that your stomach was damaged by the band lead you to bypass. My decision to get the sleeve was based on the slower weight loss which requires me to make healthy food choices so that I don't become reliant on malabsorption which goes away in a year or so.

Also the pouch from rny stretches much more easily than the sleeve because with the sleeve the greater curvature ( stretchy part) of your stomach is removed whereas with rny it is not. I personally know many people who have regained with rny for the reasons I stated.

I just wonder why you keep posting this same thing over and over on the sleeve board if you are 100% confident in your decision. Best of luck!

I have severe acid reflux.