Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is a crazy question...

So, I am sure I have more important things to worry about then this, call me shallow, lol! I am wondering if I can wear my panties and bra during surgery? If not, then why?

I was thinking of the same thing !! When I had my gall removed by lap , he allowed me my under wear but not my bra because on of the incisions is right in the lower bra line.

Sorry meant "one of the"

If you google photos of "lap chole" you will see what I mean...this is the near exact place your sleeve scars will be with the exception of one extra larger one where they pull the stomach out.

Your own underwear maybe, but I think you just wear the gown and disposable undies in surgery.

A question is a question and not crazy at all! It is solely up to your doctor and hospital. I only had on a gown. I didn't care one way or the other, just was nervous and wanted it done!

From what I heard, they inserted a Catheter while I was under, so panties would have gotten in the way. Bra will be in the way of at least one incision

Edited by Invictus

I probably shouldn't, but I still have to ask:

Why do you want to wear underwear into the operating room?

I had to take everything off. Just a gown. But once you're settled, you really don't care. ????

The bra is definitely because of the surgery line and the underwear is because of the possibility of a catheter being necessary. Luckily I didn't need a catheter and as soon as I had recovered enough to get up a bit I was allowed to put my own underwear back on (whatever I was most comfortable with). And it's not a dumb question, I wondered too and that's what I was told by the hospital staff :)

Not a dumb question at all and I thank you for asking it. My concern is not the operating room but walking around the floor with my boobs hanging down to my knees. I am not kidding just look at my before pictures and those are with a bra on. If the incision is close to the bra line how soon after surgery were you ladies allowed to wear a bra again?

I made arrangements with the nurses to help me put my underwear and an incontinence pad on as soon as surgery was done. I was worried about leaking when I was getting settled in my room. They were exceptionally cooperative. As soon as I started to come to, my nurse helped me to get situated. As far as a bra... You probably won't be able to wear in the hospital. They check your incisions regularly and a bra is going to interfere. Plus, it's probably going to be very uncomfortable hitting your incisions. I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and am still just wearing a pull on sports bra because my regular bras hurt. I'm a 46L, so I'm exceptionally sympathetic of you not wanting your boobs hanging in the hospital. If your hospital has the big gowns, it really won't matter. I promise. By the way... If you're looking for a comfortable and supportive pull on sports bra for after surgery, the best I've found is at http://www.makingitbig.com/product/481/plus-size-bras they come in multiple colors and go up to size 8X.

I was able to wear a bra again on the trip home without any issue although that was only for a few short hours. I imagine a sports bra would probably be the most comfortable to start with for long periods of time based on where my incisions are anyway.

@@ssflbelle I was able to put a bra on just about as soon as I was transferred back to my room after being in the recovery area. A regular bra will hurt the incision -- make sure you get an all cotton bra with no underwire that fastens in front, like this:

http://www.hanes.com/onehanesplace/bra/shop-by-category/all-bras/leading-lady-leisure-bra-20231

checking the incision won't be a problem, you just pull up the bottom band a little if the doctor or nurse needs to see under there.