Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Shillingford-Boca Raton, Florida

Has anyone used Dr. Shillingford, specifically as a self pay patient? I have my initial phone consult with him on Wednesday, and don't know what to expect. I'm traveling out of state because the cost is too high in my state for self pay.

Interested in any experience anyone has with him and his office, and how your pre-op process went as a self pay patient.

Thanks!

I was self pay with dr wizman- everything went so smoothly and I love that he has informational classes. Hospital had exceptional care too! I'm from boca dr wizman is in margate but his meetings/office/hospital are all there and they have accommodations for out of town patients- good luck

Hello! I was sleeved by dr Shillingford on June 22nd 2015. All went well. The office staff is wonderful! The dr is amazing. I chose him because of all the wonderful reviews! Sleeve is $10,500 all inclusive!

Hello! I was sleeved by dr Shillingford on June 22nd 2015. All went well. The office staff is wonderful! The dr is amazing. I chose him because of all the wonderful reviews! Sleeve is $10,500 all inclusive!

I'm scheduled for 8/31!!

They told me if we pay by cash or check it's $10k even, $10,500 if we use a credit card.

Do you live in the area? I'm traveling out of state...

I paid with a check. The fees are on their website. I live in south Florida.

How strange.. I have it in an email from Nancy in their office. I asked if the price was different if we paid by check vs. credit card, and she said they would take off $500. I wonder if it's just because I asked! Maybe they won't offer it if someone doesn't ask for it.

I'm also traveling from Minnesota, so doing all the pre-op testing on my own. Maybe they was a factor too, since those tests aren't going to be included for me.

Hi - I have my initial consult with Dr. Shillingford on 8/12! I too am self-pay. I had the Lap Band removed due to erosion back in 2011 and by the time I was ready to do a revision, my employer changed insurance plans and WLS was no longer covered. I decided to wait, I was looking for a new job and wanted to believe I could keep the weight off on my own. Fast forward a few years (and after regaining all the weight) my new employer's plan also does not cover WLS so I started looking at self-pay options. I live in CT now and the cost of self-pay for VSG is $25,000 - 30,000 depending on the hospital your surgeon performs the surgery at. There is no way I could pay $30K out of pocket so I gave up for a while. I looked at Mexico for $5 - 6K but the lack of after care concerns me. For some reason I never considered FL until now - I am self-pay I can go anywhere! My parents live in S. Florida so I can stay with them for an extended period while doing pre-op tests and post op recovery (I am in sales and am home-office based so working from my parents' home is no issue).

So my question for those of you self-paying with Dr. Wizman or Dr Shillingford - are you at all concerned about post op care if there is a complication? I have noticed on other surgeon sites that they participate in BLIS (Bundled Loan and Indemnity Soultion)- it helps protect you should you need secondary surgeries from a complication. I don't see anything like that on Dr Shillingford's site. I know I personally cannot afford to pay for additional surgeries should something go wrong. Is this covered in the "all inclusive" package? Seems to good to be true for only $10 - 11K. I know most complications from sleeve arise in the first 30 days (leakage is the primary problem) but are you at all concerned about how you will deal with any issues that arise later on?

That is my biggest concern, and I'm losing sleep at night over it. I'm scheduled to be sleeved by Dr. shillingford on 8/31.

He told me he has never had a leak, and you have to drink some special liquid to check for leaks before discharge. That made me feel a little better.

He will do follow-up via phone, and I know I can call or email his office any time with questions. I don't have the luxury of going to FL a month before and after to do all the pre- and post-op there. That is awesome for you!

I just have to keep reminding myself that complication rates are pretty low for this surgery. I will follow the surgeons directions exactly, and hope for the best! The alternative is no surgery at all, and I know I can't do this on my own.

Good luck!

ttdish -

did you ask him outright what happens if there is a complication, how it is handled? A leak may have never happened to one of his patients yet, but the reality is they do happen 2% of the time. Statistically it is only a matter of time. And with my luck, it will be me. I was given those same odds for band erosion and guess what? I was that 2%. So I know complications can and do happen, regardless of how well the surgeon's track record is. I would definitely get a solid answer from him before you have surgery, I plan to. If he can't give me a straight answer and guarantee I will be covered, I will have to find someone else who can.

I didn't ask, but I don't think ANY surgeon will cover those costs as part of their all inclusive package. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I've done a ly of research, but personal experience trumps that.) Unless you get additional insurance to cover complications, You are on your own. Now, if there is some sort of negligence on their part, they will probably cover follow up costs to avoid getting sued..

I know the risks, and I know just because he hasn't had a patient with a leak doesn't mean he never will, but it's still encouraging to hear. I also know that complications are more common in high risk patients, which I am not. I just have to keep telling myself the risks of me staying obese are higher than the risks of the surgery.

I think as self pay patients, our options are to find a surgeon who offers BLIS insurance, or find a surgeon we trust, and accept the risks. It stinks, but that's just the way it is.

Agreed, I was hoping his office offers BLIS but I don't think they do. :-(

I was self paid with dr wizman and the package was roughly $10,000 and then there's the additional 1,000 for extra insurance of which I got even though he has a great reputation I paid it- the amounts are not exact but rough estimates as I don't remember - 2 months out and loving life- hospital care was also exceptional staff was so pleasant!

Thank you @@eisorp I am glad to hear there is an insurance option. I am trying to schedule a consult with Dr Wizman as well and then I will decide between the two, both have excellent reputations!