Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Business trip/meeting 8 weeks post op

I'm traveling to Paris for work 8 weeks post op and will sit in meetings for three days which will include conference lunches and dinner outings. I rather not tell my colleagues about my sleeve surgery.

It's work team of 15-20 some people and I'm sure they have preordered a menu for dinner.

Any suggestions on how to prepare, eat in a business environment? I'm sure it'll involve nice restaurants and wine and I don't know what to do to keep it a secret.

Any suggestions?

Hi @@Vsg_lma, Restaurant eating in the US is easy. In Paris it might be a little trickier, but I don't think they eat as heavily as we do, so that might help.

• Pack enough Protein shakes to have at least on per day on the trip. That Protein will help you make it through.
  • To repeat, focus on protein, protein, protein. That's where you'll get your energy now, instead of carbs.
  • Chew, chew, chew. (You don't want to have to excuse yourself to go throw up during a business meal.)
  • Keep up with your 64+ oz of fluids. They'll help keep you feeling satisfied between meals so you don't go crazy at mealtimes, and they'll keep your "insides" working effectively.

Okay, now onto restaurant eating...

• First of all, if anyone asks why you're not having wine, just say "I'm trying to watch what I eat and drink,even in Paris," and leave it there. Hopefully, in a business setting no one will ask follow-up questions. They'll quickly stop noticing that you're doing anything different and it will become your "norm".
  • Don't eat the bread! That's going to be the hardest choice you'll have to make!
  • Just have Water. And since we're not allowed to drink for 30-45 minutes before or after eating (or during), just let it sit there (except for the occasional tiny sip to clear your mouth or help get a bite down).
  • Skip the appetizer since you won't have room for it anyway. If the table orders group appetizers, you can have a bite or two of anything that's protein (muscles, clams, chicken, meats), but not starch or sugar.
  • Order a protein-based meal, and don't worry about sauces that come on it. They're not our problem, carbs are. So try to order dishes with sauces that are unlikely to have a lot of flour. (Happy Secret: Fat doesn't really matter, so butter and oil in sauces are okay.)
  • If your meal comes with a vegetable and a starch, ask to replace the starch with a second vegetable.
  • Don't have dessert. You should already be full, anyway.
  • If you drink coffee or tea, bring your own sweeteners (in case they don't have them) so you don't have to use sugar.
  • Bottom line: Don't worry too much about fat or calories, just stay away from starches and sugars. Hopefully the freedom to enjoy the former, will make up for the difficulty of avoiding the latter.
  • Enjoy feeling virtuous in your choices, and use that as additional motivation! How great will you feel if you go on a trip to Paris and come back the same weight or even less?!!!
  • If you mess up at a meal, don't say "Aw, screw it," for the rest of the trip. Get back on your program immediately -- that means the very next time you eat. That way you can limit the damage.
  • Our lives don't revolve around food anymore. So the extra energy you will feel from not being bogged down digesting carbs/sugar will help you enjoy the many other wonderful aspects of Paris.

Hope that helps..... and HAVE FUN!!!

Hi @@Vsg_lma, Restaurant eating in the US is easy. In Paris it might be a little trickier, but I don't think they eat as heavily as we do, so that might help.

• Pack enough Protein shakes to have at least on per day on the trip. That Protein will help you make it through.
  • To repeat, focus on protein, protein, protein. That's where you'll get your energy now, instead of carbs.
  • Chew, chew, chew. (You don't want to have to excuse yourself to go throw up during a business meal.)
  • Keep up with your 64+ oz of fluids. They'll help keep you feeling satisfied between meals so you don't go crazy at mealtimes, and they'll keep your "insides" working effectively.
  • First of all, if anyone asks why you're not having wine, just say "I'm trying to watch what I eat and drink,even in Paris," and leave it there. Hopefully, in a business setting no one will ask follow-up questions. They'll quickly stop noticing that you're doing anything different and it will become your "norm".
  • Don't eat the bread! That's going to be the hardest choice you'll have to make!
  • Just have Water. And since we're not allowed to drink for 30-45 minutes before or after eating (or during), just let it sit there (except for the occasional tiny sip to clear your mouth or help get a bite down).
  • Skip the appetizer since you won't have room for it anyway. If the table orders group appetizers, you can have a bite or two of anything that's protein (muscles, clams, chicken, meats), but not starch or sugar.
  • Order a protein-based meal, and don't worry about sauces that come on it. They're not our problem, carbs are. So try to order dishes with sauces that are unlikely to have a lot of flour. (Happy Secret: Fat doesn't really matter, so butter and oil in sauces are okay.)
  • If your meal comes with a vegetable and a starch, ask to replace the starch with a second vegetable.
  • If you drink coffee or tea, bring your own sweeteners (in case they don't have them) so you don't have to use sugar.
  • Bottom line: Don't worry too much about fat or calories, just stay away from starches and sugars. Hopefully the freedom to enjoy the former, will make up for the difficulty of avoiding the latter.
  • Enjoy feeling virtuous in your choices, and use that as additional motivation! How great will you feel if you go on a trip to Paris and come back the same weight or even less?!!!
  • If you mess up at a meal, don't say "Aw, screw it," for the rest of the trip. Get back on your program immediately -- that means the very next time you eat. That way you can limit the damage.
  • Our lives don't revolve around food anymore. So the extra energy you will feel from not being bogged down digesting carbs/sugar will help you enjoy the many other wonderful aspects of Paris.

Thank you so much for that elaborate answer, it'll be very helpful!

Being just 8 weeks post surgery, will my stomach be able to handle solid foods? It must be alright with white fish probable but meat, is that even doable?

I'm hesitant about not drinking wine because they might start to wonder if I'm pregnant... being married and a mother of two but I guess I'll just have to live with that.

Thanks again for your support

For the meals provided for meetings/conferences it is perfectly acceptable to talk with the person organizing your meeting and ask to speak with the person choosing the food. You can find out what the options are and make special requests if needed. You want to make sure that there are options for Protein at every meal. Since its in Paris, they will probably have yogurt available for breakfasts but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

@vsg_ima there needs to come a point where we aren't worried about what people think of our choices. If someone is rude enough to suggest you may be pregnant because you choose to not drink wine, just smile and laugh and say "oh goodness now. I am just resolved to live a healthier life so all of you can expect to see less of me in the future!"

And if they want to converse about how you intend to do that, keep in mind that what our defensive mind sometimes see as intrusive questioning, is actually genuine interest and interesting conversation. Just tell them you are focusing on Proteins and fresh produce. And have eliminated processed foods and cutting back on bad carbs and sugars. If you are exercising add that also. And you can certainly add that you are taking your health and tackling it with just as much effort and determination as you do your work. Any life improvement like we are all taking on will inevitably flow positively over into all other areas of our life.

Be confident in your life decision and be proud of yourself. Good luck!!

Wow tons of great advise! Do you have a website or a blog? ????

@@maggie409 thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep that in mind. Especially about actively choosing a healthier lifestyle and I really should stop worrying about other people opinions. It's a work in progress.

You may be surprised at how many people don't drink alcohol these days. It just doesn't matter as much as it may have in the past. And people are usually very supportive of anyone trying to get healthier. As for solid foods, at 6 weeks I went on a Maine vacation and managed to eat lobster every day -- dipped in drawn butter! You'll probably need those sauces I mentioned to get some food down. Watch out for dry chicken or pork, they can get stuck. But come on, it's Paris! No self-respecting chef would dare serve overcooked meat, oui? Have fun and try not to fret. This is a good thing! Bon voyage!!!

Very encouraging indeed ????

I'm looking forward to my surgery on Monday July 6th!

I don't like wine... in fact I HATE it... it's so nasty tasting to me... use my answer lol.

Pre-op I enjoyed a drink/glass (or three) in the company of my colleagues so that excuse won't work. I'll go for the health approach. Thanks ????

Why no alcohol? I will be treating myself to one drink per week after my 6 week anniversary provided I am hitting all my milestones. ????

Booze is liquid sugar, kind of like ice cream and fruit juices, so it can slow down weight loss. Plus, it can lead to other less-than-optimal choices. I guess it's just a question of how strictly you want to stick to a program and how quickly you want to lose. Many people feel that depriving themselves too much during the weight loss phase can lead to giving up. I tend to be an "all or nothing" kind of guy, so my approach was to get to goal as quickly as possible and then figure it out from there.

First of all, you lucky dog going to Paris for 3 days! The food and the people are fantastic there and culinary options abound. It will help you a lot to get what you want if you learn a few French phrases to say because they tend to look at Americans with a surly attitude, especially if We don't adapt to Their culture. Get one of the great phone apps for this which play the phrase. For instance, learn to say " Je voudrais une salade Nicoise ( tuna salad). Anything without something is "sans" Water is served at room temperature most places . You will be fine! Also if you know your hotel and which restaurants you'll be going to, try to look up their menus. If there's no English version, copy and put them in Google translate so you can plan ahead. Have a great time in the city of lights!