Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the sleeve?

Why did you choose to go with the sleeve as opposed to the gastric bypass? Are you happy with your decision? If given the chance would you have gone the other route? I'm looking into both options right now.. As a self pay patient I want to go with the option that is going to give me the best results in the long run. Any insight would be much appreciated! Ideally I would like to lose around 130 pounds.

I chose the sleeve because I didn't want my stomach re-routed. Reduced down was okay for me. I also am very happy with my new friend (7 weeks plus post-op). I am trying to lose around 100lbs. My goal reads 150 but that's a "dream" goal. 165-170 is the range I am shooting for once I get past 200. There are side effects that you need to think about ex: GERD. I made the decision that was best for me. good luck!

I chose the sleeve because I did not want the malabsorption issues with the bypass. I also didn't like the idea of messing around with my intestines.

I had over a year leading up to my band removal that I used to research both options. I lurked on these boards and read as many posts as I could on both surgeries: what complications people were having, weight loss, nutritional needs, etc... For me, it was just tossup too.

I ended up with Sleeve because I felt that the Bypass had bigger issues with malnutrition, due to the malabsorption aspect. Some actually choose the Bypass because of the malabsorption, because it leads to faster loss. It really boils down to personal choice and/or your doctors preference for you.

I did the sleeve because of some of the same reasons mention above! I wanted to lose about 130 pounds. I haven't reached goal yet but I anticipate it being a longer process. I have no regrets. I will reach goal by 1/2016 sleeved 8/2014. I didn't get fat overnight so I didn't expect to be skinny overnight either. Sometimes I struggle with the slow process. However I know this is a lifetime journey and not the fad diet I'm used to. I feel healthy and strong. Best of luck to you.

The RNY is still considered the "gold standard" of WLS procedures. Over the past 5-8 years, however, the VSG is being performed much more frequently and there is now good medical research data that has been studied on patients who have had the procedure. The overall results of either procedure are very similar in terms of total weight loss. So focusing on "how many pounds" you want to lose really does not need to factor in to your decision because either procedure will net about the same results. What is most important to focus on is that doing either procedure can restore your health by learning new eating habits for life.

For many, the decision comes down to considerations about RNY being the more radical procedure with the rerouting of intestines and nutrient absorption concerns --vs-- VSG with no intestinal rerouting but removal of most of stomach and POSSIBLE reflux issues. Neither procedure guarantees that it will stop you from wanting to eat the junk foods. Many people think that the RNY will keep you from eating junk food because it will make you throw up. That is NOT true for most people. Neither procedure changes our eating habits. That is up to us.

At four years out, my decision to have the sleeve was the best decision I could have made for ME. (I was not comfortable with the idea of the major rerouting of my "innerds.") It was (and is) a lot of hard work, especially that first year in changing a lifetime of old, unhealthy eating habits. But I did, and now food no longer controls me--I have the POWER over it. And it feels fantastic. I CHOSE my health over the very temporary satisfaction of junk food in my life.

Take your time in making the decision that is right for YOU. Do your research, not just listening to what other people have to say. This is right up there in the top-10 MAJOR, rest-of-your life decisions you will ever make. Good luck and let us all know what you decide...

Initially i wanted RNY because my sister had it. but when i went to the dr, he suggested the sleeve. i wasnt too comfortable with my stomach being removed at first. but as time went a long, i realized the sleeve is the best option for me. mainly because there was no issues with absorption, no rerouting of my intenstines, and weight loss was slow and steady. almost like a non-wls person. but had similar results to the rny, and better results than the lapband. research, research, research. your surgeon will make a professional suggestion. go from there. we can all give you our opinions and stories...i honestly, for the most part, based my decision off of the statistics that i found while researching. even my friends who see my progress and want the surgery to, i encourage them if it's what they want/need...but i still say do your research. good luck.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I have been leaning towards the sleeve but had hoped to get some feedback from those of you who have already been through it. When I went to an information session at a local hospital they made it seem as though the sleeve was just a stepping stone to bypass. I have been doing research on and off for the past 6 months (off because I had a surprise pregnancy that unfortunately ended in a miscarriage)

I'm not quite 3 weeks post op, but i also did a lot of research and found the sleeve to have the same or close to the same average weight lost as the bypass. I chose the sleeve because of the less invasive surgery and less side effects after surgery. I'll be 50 this year and had never had any surgery before except for wisdom teeth extraction in my 20s. So i was apprehensive about any surgery. Co-incidentally while in the process of my weight loss research and switching of insurance to be able to go to my chosen surgeon I fell, injured my knee and shoulder. Ultimately had to have shoulder surgery before my sleeve. I did them 6 weeks apart.

I know several people who've had bariatric surgery, and those who went with the sleeve have been the happiest with their results.

For me, bypass is something to avoid. There's serious side effects, like malabsorption, hair loss, and dumping syndrome is a nightmare apparently.

My dad's a physician and he reviewed the options as well and found that out of lap band, sleeve, and bypass, sleeve has the best results with the least complications.

I was self pay too. If the doctor you spoke to made it seem like the sleeve is just a step before bypass, maybe consider seeing another physician?

Oh yes I'm not going to that physician, I just went for some general information. I'm looking into Dr. Alvarez in Mexico but of course there is hesitation when it comes to leaving the country..

I was unsure which I wanted to go with as well. I discussed it with the doctor at the weight loss center and she recommended sleeve. She felt I was young to consider the bypass, I am 31. She said malabsorption, dumping and some of the other side effects would be something she felt I may not want to deal with for a lifetime. I was also looking for the one that would give me the most results but the general consensus seems to be that the sleeve is incredibly effective. I am looking to lose almost 200 lbs. Good luck on your decision making!

@@zonetracy Dr. Patterson was my surgeon as well. I really liked her and have loved the office and staff. I had my VSG in December. :-)

And I chose VSG because of the reasons mentioned above. I have a history of GI issues, so I really didn't want my intestines touched at all. I knew the weight loss would be a bit slower than with bypass, but that was okay with me.

I chose VSG because I didn't want my intestines rerouted, I didn't want malabsorption issues, I didn't want to be stuck on Vitamins my entire life and I felt my biggest obstacle to losing weight was Portion Control. I already ate relatively healthy, I just ate too much and wanted the restriction. I also saw it is more difficult to stretch a sleeve than a pouch. At almost 8 months out I'm only 14 pounds from my ultimate goal weight. I would definitely consider my surgery a success.