Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am self-pay, but is there insurance in case of complications?

Hi everyone,

I am being sleeved in about 4 weeks, and I am self-pay. I know complications aren't common with a sleeve, but still…if there are complications, they could very likely get extremely expensive. Does anyone know if there is any type of insurance package you can buy just in the unlikely event of complications? I have an e-mail in to my surgeon's office but am always looking for first-hand experiences if anyone knows of something. :)

Thanks.

My surgeon had me buy Blis insurance. I'm not sure if it has to be purchased through a surgeon, but something to consider...

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/insurance/About-BLIS-and-Cash-Pay-Weight-Loss-Surgery.html

You can contact BLIS insurance and they can tell you whether or not your surgeon works with them. They can also let you know bariatric surgeons in your area who do. I purchased BLIS insurance - grateful I haven't had to use it - but it made me feel better about possible complications.

I am looking into NOVAMAR as it has come highly recommended by quite a few people on this site.

The thing that I am wondering is the duration of your insurance.

I will be in Mexico for 7 days, pre and post op.

The coverage is still valid for up to 12 months post op. https://www.novamarinsurance.com.mx/insurance-services/travel/medical-tourism-insurance

-Up to $160,000 USD coverage for up to 12 months after a complication occurs.
-No deductible or coinsurance.
-Direct payment to most hospitals in México and Argentina.
-Higher coverage limits than other policies in the market.
-Claim Process: Novamar Insurance Mexico and ACE Seguros make the claim process very simple for both patients and doctors.

• ✔ Additional Medical Expenses
  • ✔ Additional Medical Consultations
  • ✔ Additional Travel Expenses
  • ✔ Additional Daily Hospital Room
  • ✔ Accommodation and Plane Ticket for non-scheduled visit to the Doctor up to 12 months later
  • ✔ Travel and accommodation daily expenses
  • ✔ Trip Cancellation
  • ✔ Trip Delay
  • ✔ Travel Liability
  • ✔ Accidental Death
  • ✔ Lost Baggage
  • ✔ Travel Assistance 24/7

Following! Just was looking into this as self pay may be a possibility of insurance doesn't add WLS on '16

If you send an email to Novamar they do reply within a few hours of first contact.

Am I reading this correctly? These insurance programs (Novamar I guess in particular) require you to go to Mexico to see a doctor? I certainly hope not. Why would you have to travel to Mexico for a complication? Some can be life threatening!

I have my own insurance but just something I'd point out for others who need it. I wouldn't ever buy insurance that doesn't cover services in the US for post surgery complications.

Just an update to when I started this thread. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago, self-pay here in the U.S., with no additional insurance coverage. So far, so good. The self-pay contract with my doctor is not a problem (he covers all complications that may arise within 90 days), but it's the hospital I was worried about. I feel great. His office did not work with any of these insurance plans that others have mentioned.